Page: of 7

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  21:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

For a very 'Beatles' themed issue you should check out the new, October, issue of 'MOJO'.

Thanks, Caryne .... I shall be getting a copy during my Saturday shop at Sainsbury's.

Edited by - John9 on 21/08/2009 22:00:40
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  23:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

quote:
Originally posted by caryne

For a very 'Beatles' themed issue you should check out the new, October, issue of 'MOJO'.

Thanks, Caryne .... I shall be getting a copy during my Saturday shop at Sainsbury's.

Thanks!!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  18:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And speaking of 'downloads', the new Beatles remasters won't be available that way. Maybe some know that "downloading" can have other repercussions even though I know that people would have to pay??? And consdiering that Beatles product has been around for a while it appears that no one is "tired" of it. People apparently still want stuff by them after all these years. I think that overall those in charge of the Beatles' legacy were pretty good in protecting it. Well at least they didn't have one of their songs be a theme song or something for McDonald's or Ford or Boots the chemist......
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  13:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazon.com have now added to the previews a fascinating 20 minute interview with two Abbey Road engineers who answer many of the questions that we asked in our various discussions. Also included are some excerpts from Sgt Pepper. once again, you need to click on 'Listen For Free'......you know, when you come to think about it, Amazon are really very generous people!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/entity/The-Beatles/B000APTK6K/B000APTK6K

Edited by - John9 on 26/08/2009 13:58:55
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  14:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx for that john...

And anyway are you all getting ready for the Beatles retail explosion that's kind of timed with the remasters releases?? When I go to some stores now I see Beatles posters, shirts, puzzles, books in the racks. I haven't seen Beatles potato chips yet though. It's an onslaught of Beatlemania proportions. I don't know. Should I get some Beatles threads and wear it proudly or will it identify me as a rock senior citizen seeking those glory days????... ok I'm winding up some 'When I'm 64"....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  17:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember going into the record store in '64 and seeing banners and posters proclaiming....
"The Beatles Are Coming". .... Just before "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was released.
I thought--who the hell are these guys?!! Good memories john9 & rocker.

This brings it all back, I think, more than any Beatle event in the last 40 years.

I see the stereo remasters are already available individually. I'm glad I got
the MONO (sold-out) box. I can add the stereo albums any time
as my wallet allows.

Mailing date-- SEPT 16 !!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 26/08/2009 17:55:44
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  14:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was browsing and saw Rolling Stones cover.."Why the Beatles Broke Up". Must be those remasters coming out affecting thoughts on all that and what was and what could have been!
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  21:33:49  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I liked those Beatles picture-sleeve singles. I had the "Rain/Paperback Writer", 45rpm which was released when their video was played on the Ed Sullivan Show. THAT WAS COOL!
yeah, lots of Beatles stuff out there! also, lots of "Woodstock" products, like coffee mugs, address books, i-pod covers, mouse-pads,
(escuse me while I ki$$ the $KY)!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  04:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

I liked those Beatles picture-sleeve singles. I had the "Rain/Paperback Writer", 45rpm which was released when their video was played on the Ed Sullivan Show. THAT WAS COOL!
yeah, lots of Beatles stuff out there! also, lots of "Woodstock" products, like coffee mugs, address books, i-pod covers, mouse-pads,
(escuse me while I ki$$ the $KY)!

...what the world needs now...

What about the new "Woodstock" comedy/movie that I keep seeing promoted? Looks pretty bad...like a "B" movie teen comedy. Anyone heard about it??

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  14:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure wonder how many boomers are gonna watch that one. Didn't look too enticing to me in my opinion! I'd think the film might be for a different "market".
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  18:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

I sure wonder how many boomers are gonna watch that one. Didn't look too enticing to me in my opinion! I'd think the film might be for a different "market".

Yep!

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  13:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having invested in the October editions of both Mojo and Record Collector, I find that they add little insight into the tantalising mono V stereo dilemma. This said, they both cover other interesting territory. The mono box set is still available on Amazon UK...but for how long? For the present, I have placed an order with them...and it appears that if you order both sets and then combine them into a single order, then you get about £35 discount. A great place for comparing existing mono and stereo versions before making up your mind is Youtube. The mono version of I'm Only Sleeping is definitely more interesting in that it has much more backwards guitar - this said there is a mono version up there from the American Yesterday and Today where the said guitars are even more fascinating....although of course Capitol were notorious for doing their own edits and mixes. By far the most useful comparison between the new mono and stereo editions, I've come across, is this one....and as you might expect, it recommends the purchase of both:

http://www.maccablog.co.uk/news.php?news=6055

Edited by - John9 on 03/09/2009 13:42:14
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  14:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....mono v stereo dilemma..

You know I've realized that really there is no dilemma if we come down to it. If we want to get the complete overview of Beatles recordings one has to get both but it'll cost you. I tell you though EMI or whomever wants you to pay for this stuff that we've paid lots for already! But I forgot that there's lots of new listeners coming on too. I see that the mono is still available in the UK but not here. I guess they got more product, right? or does that mean UK buyers aren't so awed by the mono set and it's no being sold like here?
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  15:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

....mono v stereo dilemma..

You know I've realized that really there is no dilemma if we come down to it. If we want to get the complete overview of Beatles recordings one has to get both but it'll cost you. I tell you though EMI or whomever wants you to pay for this stuff that we've paid lots for already! But I forgot that there's lots of new listeners coming on too. I see that the mono is still available in the UK but not here. I guess they got more product, right? or does that mean UK buyers aren't so awed by the mono set and it's no being sold like here?

I think that it may be to do with the fact that the Fab Four have an even higher higher profile on your side of the pond, Rocker, than they have here. One of our greatest music writers and DJs, Paul Gambeccini, is in fact an anglicised New Yorker. I remember him saying at the time of Lennon's death in 1980 that it would be difficult for British listeners to appreciate just how important Beatles' music still was to many Americans - and that the so called New Wave just hadn't caught on stateside.

Edited by - John9 on 03/09/2009 15:16:09
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  16:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I think you're right on there. Really it's kind of an understatement to say the Beatles had an "effect" here. heh heh It's scary to know where we'd be if they didn't come...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page