Page: of 7

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  18:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

I'm pretty muchtoo broke(laid-off for a year!) to get the new remasters, and the Amazon site has no play for " Sgt. Peppers".
I wanted to hear the the intro to the 1st track, when Paul's count-down(1,2,3,4) has always sounded like "one-two-three-futt"!
was that a play on words!? or my imagination?
anyways, the remasters are a good thing! anything Beatles is alright with me.

...what the world needs now...

The MONO intro to Peppers is not noticeably different. I always thought he just said "....FAUH!" We'll see if it stands out more on the new release!

Obvious differences on MONO Peppers are:
>Lucy is a slower mix than stereo...more psychedelic I would say.
>Kite is slower too
>Within You...ending laughter is way up front and extended and kind of a freak-out
>Peppers Reprise ending has Paul going of on a scat improv and is very cool...can't imagine why the stereo dudes got rid of it entirely.
>Instrumentally--the drums, and Paul's incredible bass playing (his high point here) are punched way up..as is usually the case with MONO (Byrd's "Younger Than Yesterday" is another example of MONO having the incredible bass of Chris punched up....Generally considered that these two LPs are the "highest" of the shining moments in rock bass and drum parts!!)

Overall the MONO! is a much more LIVE experience...as most MONO is. Still, the stereo on Peppers is an innovative breakthrough for eight track and a fun experience with headphones...I used to lie on the floor between the speakers!!

I don't know if they created the NEW stereo Box set from the original MONO masters, in which case they may have tried to keep what the Beatles originally intended.

But you all know by now I prefer the Specter wall-of-sound MONO experience....but PLEASE let us know what the NEW stereo Peppers master is like beyond just sounding great! Does it have the different MONO mixes.....Thanks, John9

I'll let you know how the MONO stands up TOO ...to the original mixes!

By the way... Paul does the same "One Two Three Fauh!" on "I Saw Her Standing There" (the Capitol release)...is he "reprising" one of their first recordings here as a kind of pun? Interestingly, on my MONO VeeJay LP "Introducing the Beatles", it is either an alt. mix or a different take in which Paul just yells "FAUH!! Maybe it's that way on the Capitol mono?!! Anyone?

Peppers is generally acknowledge (even by John) as being Paul's album overall..concept and the driving creative force behind it all. He was writing songs so fast, John could only sit back and admire the whole thing.
Most of the songs are Paul's, too. His creative peak and his personal masterpiece as well as the rest of the Boys. Not to take anything away from the concerted effort by all...Paul could never have done it by HIMSELF to be sure....it was the BEATLES.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 15/08/2009 18:47:21
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  01:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there are a few mono mixes of tracks off Pepper on Youtube if you do a search

the reprise of "Sgt Pepper" in mono is REALLY different.

Was Abbey Road actually released in mono?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  05:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

there are a few mono mixes of tracks off Pepper on Youtube if you do a search

the reprise of "Sgt Pepper" in mono is REALLY different.

Was Abbey Road actually released in mono?

Abbey Road & Let It Be will NOT be in the MONO box set
(nor Yellow Submarine), I think....so I guess "NO" to the mono question.
I was just playing my MONO Peppers vinyl and yes, the "reprise" is REALLY different...
that ending improv is just great!! That alone would get me to opt for the MONO mix.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  14:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk..well you're on a good thing..I see the mono box is sold out on Amazon..but you know I caved and ordered the stereo stuff...I feel like I've got a ticket to a bunch of new Beatles concerts.........deja vu all over again......I was playing the Ed Sullivan shows and if you watch them you can see how "professional" they were. It was their first time here but they commanded the stage and audience, eh?..
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lk..well you're on a good thing..I see the mono box is sold out on Amazon..but you know I caved and ordered the stereo stuff...I feel like I've got a ticket to a bunch of new Beatles concerts.........deja vu all over again......I was playing the Ed Sullivan shows and if you watch them you can see how "professional" they were. It was their first time here but they commanded the stage and audience, eh?..

We'll exchange "reviews"!!! Mono is sold out?!! I thought a 20,000 worldwide limited edition was rather small....

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  22:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk...Now you got me thinking I may be missing something without the monos! You know you are absolutely so right on that "live" sound with mono. I pick it up right away but when I put on stereo my ears tell the brain to go in another direction! But,as I mentioned I did like some songs in mono better than stereo. I don't know what'll do there. I might have to save up the pennies for mono as well man. Liking music can cost money, you know???...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  22:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

lk...Now you got me thinking I may be missing something without the monos! You know you are absolutely so right on that "live" sound with mono. I pick it up right away but when I put on stereo my ears tell the brain to go in another direction! But,as I mentioned I did like some songs in mono better than stereo. I don't know what'll do there. I might have to save up the pennies for mono as well man. Liking music can cost money, you know???...

My brain is already set to "MONO". I just found mono LPs of Disraeli Gears and Electric Music For The Mind and Body.
"Diisraeli" is great in mono though it seems to just be an EXCELLENT mix down. The MONO Country Joe LP on the other hand is REMARKABLE and a MUST HAVE! The sound is beyond fantastic and as close to seeing the fish LIVE as you will get! You would think stereo would be better for the psychedelic experience....NO.

The Fish and FRESH CREAM are essential MONO LP mixes....you MUST have!! Fresh Cream MONO takes me right back to when I saw them live doing "Aren't you Glad"....it really is a remarkable mono experience.

Beatles TOO!

Sorry...more must-haves for your list, rocker!!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  14:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as usual you're makin' me work lk!!.....you know I think when if an when I retire I'm gonna open a music shop!!!...it's the only way to go...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  16:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

as usual you're makin' me work lk!!.....you know I think when if an when I retire I'm gonna open a music shop!!!...it's the only way to go...

Then the records come to you !!! And there are those tantalizing phone calls from little ladies that have 500 records in their basement.....treasure or trash....it's fun to dream!!!

It's work, but the kind you love. My record shop friend in Maine is out every weekend hitting flea markets and garage sales all day-- searching. Seems like it's always after a long day, on the way home, that he spots that little yard sale in New Hampshire where he finds some MONO Doors LP or other treasure just when he thought the day was done.

My dream too!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 19/08/2009 16:29:34
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  14:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know with the way the music industry is going that just might be the way to go. With the advent of the NET, "free" seems to be the mantra there. Opinion seems to be that it's getting harder and harder to be a musician and making a decent living out of it. Who knows? Maybe those lps you got will be overhwelmingly thought of as
something to be tremendously valued. It was certainly another time, wasn't it? Just be aware someone may ask you to contribute them to a museum collection one day.! As with the Burritos, it could be "The Last of the Mono LP's, you know???..
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  16:46:43  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know with the way the music industry is going that just might be the way to go. With the advent of the NET, "free" seems to be the mantra there. Opinion seems to be that it's getting harder and harder to be a musician and making a decent living out of it. Who knows? Maybe those lps you got will be overhwelmingly thought of as
something to be tremendously valued. It was certainly another time, wasn't it? Just be aware someone may ask you to contribute them to a museum collection one day.! As with the Burritos, it could be "The Last of the Mono LP's, you know???..

I find it sad that everyone seems to think they have the right to have music for free these days. How on earth do they think that musicians are going to be able to live if people don't suuport the work they do by actually paying for it. You wouldn't expect a electrician to rewire your house and do it for free would you, so why expect musicians to work for free?

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  17:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know all that you've said shows the positive and negative aspects of the Internet. The problem you alluded to with musicians exists as well with all "creative" type content. Right, where's the compensation for all that creativity that's been created? Free is nice but it don't put food on the table. This is a big problem now.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  18:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The value of MONO is more and more respected today...proof would be all the MONO 180 gram reissues by Sundazed, DCC, Beatles MONO box (CD only!)and so on.
But the original MONO vinyl is certainly increasing in value everyday!

I was disappointed when I heard that ALL the DOORS with Morrison LPs will be reissued on 180 gram vinyl in September...in STEREO...not MONO.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 21/08/2009 18:35:21
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  21:45:38  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know all that you've said shows the positive and negative aspects of the Internet. The problem you alluded to with musicians exists as well with all "creative" type content. Right, where's the compensation for all that creativity that's been created? Free is nice but it don't put food on the table. This is a big problem now.

On this very subject, I have to agree with this quote I've just read from Jack White (White Stripes)

"Download culture isn't a very romantic experience for the fan regarding art. It cheapens it, it makes it fast-forwardable, disposable and ignorable".
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  21:46:41  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For a very 'Beatles' themed issue you should check out the new, October, issue of 'MOJO'.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page