New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  01:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is well documented that a fragment of this unrecorded piece (named after Miles Davis)once appeared on TV in about 1967. Well it would seem that it has just surfaced on youtube.....I thought I'd heard everything! Just like Love during the same period, how effortlessly did they create such innovative and exciting music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yftz73-U488

Edited by - John9 on 24/10/2009 01:23:29

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  05:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

It is well documented that a fragment of this unrecorded piece (named after Miles Davis)once appeared on TV in about 1967. Well it would seem that it has just surfaced on youtube.....I thought I'd heard everything! Just like Love during the same period, how effortlessly did they create such innovative and exciting music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yftz73-U488

So hard to find ANYTHING "new" from the Byrds!! Thanks, J9!!!!

I wonder what the documentary was? Not many TV shows taped recorded back then...or saved if they were. Were these demos or studio tracks intended for inclusion on LP but ultimately rejected?

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  05:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn! The clips are so short! We want more!!

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  12:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you are quite right,LK....the clips are too short. The really interesting thing about Milestones, if that is what it is, is that it dates from the time of Younger Than Yesterday. The remastered CD editions of the first two albums contain several jangling instrumentals....and I suppose that Crosby's Flower Bomb Song falls into that category...along with his own musical take on Robert Henlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. But by late'66/early'67, The Byrds were entering their most experimental stage...and Milestones is a fascinating, if frustrating, glimpse of what else was going on in the studio just then. I suppose that it all goes to show that, if you wait long enough, everything turns up eventually....as we have seen recently with the Love/Hendrix 1970 session at Olympic studios.

Derek Taylor once wrote, not so very long before his death, words to the effect that there were ever only two groups of monumental importance and that the rest would have to look out for themselves. But as to which two he was referring to.........well their names escape me just at present....which is perhaps just as well.

Edited by - John9 on 25/10/2009 13:35:58
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  19:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes you are quite right,LK....the clips are too short. The really interesting thing about Milestones, if that is what it is, is that it dates from the time of Younger Than Yesterday. The remastered CD editions of the first two albums contain several jangling instrumentals....and I suppose that Crosby's Flower Bomb Song falls into that category...along with his own musical take on Robert Henlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. But by late'66/early'67, The Byrds were entering their most experimental stage...and Milestones is a fascinating, if frustrating, glimpse of what else was going on in the studio just then. I suppose that it all goes to show that, if you wait long enough, everything turns up eventually....as we have seen recently with the Love/Hendrix 1970 session at Olympic studios.

Derek Taylor once wrote, not so very long before his death, words to the effect that there were ever only two groups of monumental importance and that the rest would have to look out for themselves. But as to which two he was referring to.........well their names escape me just at present....which is perhaps just as well.

I have a good guess, but you're right...there could be an eruption of a debate there!

--william saroyan

Edited by - lemonade kid on 25/10/2009 19:52:48
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  20:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John9,

Thanks for that...I'll drawer Johnny Rogan's attention to it.

Re Derek Taylor...I can't believe he was referring to anyone other than the Beatles and Beach Boys (even if the Byrds were No.3).

Cheers, John E
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  21:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm sorry to have been so coy about it.....it was actually The Beatles and The Byrds. Derek Taylor was of course, a publicist for both bands and the said words were included in his essay for The Byrds box set of 1990.

John E - thanks for passing on the info to Johnny Rogan. John York mentioned to me that Johnny is working on a new and vastly expanded version of his definitive Byrds biography.....I would be interested to know whether that will come to fruition. Cheers

Edited by - John9 on 25/10/2009 22:00:10
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  03:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, I'm sorry to have been so coy about it.....it was actually The Beatles and The Byrds. Derek Taylor was of course, a publicist for both bands and the said words were included in his essay for The Byrds box set of 1990.

John E - thanks for passing on the info to Johnny Rogan. John York mentioned to me that Johnny is working on a new and vastly expanded version of his definitive Byrds biography.....I would be interested to know whether that will come to fruition. Cheers

Even if Derek was on their "side"...very good to choose the two most influential on either side of the pond. Both bands having great musical growth & impact in such a short span.

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page