Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  15:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are now available at Amazon.com - 30 second excerpts from 32 songs are featured including:

PS I Love You

The whole of Revolver

about half of the White Album

http://www.amazon.com/gp/entity/store/B000APTK6K/ref=amb_link_84824911_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=0NGMJFWA637B1H3F3FSH&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=484026751&pf_rd_i=Beatles%20Store

You need to click on Listen For Free - towards the top right hand side of the page.

Edited by - John9 on 13/09/2009 23:46:45

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  04:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  14:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
john9..Thanks...Boy besides being a Beatle music lover you'ev got to be a good decision maker too with the mixes. I see they have discussions all over the place on it. Man we've come a long way from those days on Ed's big shew!

One thing..."I Feel Fine"..stereo or mono??????....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  17:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about the difference between stereo vs. mono on "I Saw Her Standing There"....mono starting with Paul's 'FOUR!", instead of "1,2,3,4". Are those differences the same with the new releases...I assume so. Pepper's is the most apparent for me...also the false start in stereo on "Rubber Soul". Of course many of the worst stereo was created by Capitol USA...finally there will be some great stereo versions of those muddled reverb echo botches! But I WILL still go with MONO.

I don't suppose there will be limited edition VINYL?!!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  18:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk..did you go and see the discussions on the Amazon site? You'd have a field day in there. Some posts are very interesting and have given me some good info...like here!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  19:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lk..did you go and see the discussions on the Amazon site? You'd have a field day in there. Some posts are very interesting and have given me some good info...like here!

Thanks..no. I'll check it out...Amazon has some very good comments on many topics and quite informative...usually.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  14:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the weekend I spent a good while listening to both stereo and mono recordings of the guys that I have. All came from the Capitol records. Well (and lk i guess i have to thank you for me looking into all this) I've found out that I'm into stereo and not the mono for most of the recordings. My ears just 'like" that sound even though aficionados say mono's the way to go. But I may get the mono reordings anyway to at least have them for some of the songs I seem to like.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  17:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Over the weekend I spent a good while listening to both stereo and mono recordings of the guys that I have. All came from the Capitol records. Well (and lk i guess i have to thank you for me looking into all this) I've found out that I'm into stereo and not the mono for most of the recordings. My ears just 'like" that sound even though aficionados say mono's the way to go. But I may get the mono reordings anyway to at least have them for some of the songs I seem to like.

I agree that some stereo recordings are as good or
better than the mono to the listener. Most of the early LPs
I prefer in mono to get that wall of sound-live feel. And
though Rubber Soul is good in BOTH formats, I grew up with the
mono and prefer the mono without the false start. Revolver is
good in stereo and I might even prefer it, but the mono has
some interesting mixes. The lack of echo on Revolver (and
the Stone's Aftermath) in MONO allow Lennon's and Jagger's
voices to sound much more decidedly English.

I will always prefer Peppers in MONO although I grew up with
stereo. Every time I hear it, for that reason, it's like hearing
it for the first time!

I can't wait to hear the White Album in MONO as my audiophile
friend says it quite different and really great.

>>Other MONO LPs I prefer:
Fresh Cream....hands down the best
Blond on Blonde
All the Yardbirds
Beach Boys...any and all
Along Comes....the Association
Left Banke
Kinks
Donovan Sunshine Superman (one of the most highly regarded mono recordings of this psych masterpiece)

I'm sure I can think of more...but conversely...the most
highly valued early STEREO LPs are two albums by
Roy Orbison...considered the absolute best stereo records
ever engineered--Lonely and Blue, & Crying.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/08/2009 17:19:13
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  17:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Rocker and Lemonadekid - all this has reminded me of what I think was the worst Beatles mix ever. In the mid 70s, rules governing imports changed in the UK and so you began to see American/Canadian editions of the Beatles' work in shops alongside the originals. I treated myself to a copy of Beatles 65 and although most of it sounded alright, the single........I Feel Fine coupled with She's a Woman resembled something that had been recorded inside a tin can. Mind you, Capitol Records did do Beatles fans over here a favour by releasing Magical Mystery Tour as an LP. This eventually prompted EMI to do the same thing in Britain - all the tracks had previously been available only as EPs and singles.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  17:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, John! And I love Beatles '65 along with Beatles VI, two Capitol "compilations" that are two of my early Beatle favorites.

Too bad those rules to protect the British consumer were changed
in the UK. Those high standards are what makes finding UK
pressings of Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Yardbirds..so satisfying.

That Magical Mystery Tour EP is ONE UK collectible I've always
WANTED SO MUCH!! It just sounds so cool! But the US
release must have been pretty cool for you all!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/08/2009 20:46:33
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  17:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fascinating stuff...you know I'm really looking forward to hearding the new Beatle remasters. You guys are maming me listen with new ears so to speak. I'm kind of surprised though that with some songs I like the mono recordings much better than the stereo. In a way I just don't know why. I just "know" what sounds better to me. In general it's stereo but specifically I can go to mono when my ears call for it. Is it the engineering or some other stuff that decides aural preferences?

Those Orbison records sound interesting!....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fascinating stuff...you know I'm really looking forward to hearding the new Beatle remasters. You guys are maming me listen with new ears so to speak. I'm kind of surprised though that with some songs I like the mono recordings much better than the stereo. In a way I just don't know why. I just "know" what sounds better to me. In general it's stereo but specifically I can go to mono when my ears call for it. Is it the engineering or some other stuff that decides aural preferences?

Those Orbison records sound interesting!....

Mostly, late 50's and 60's labels put the money for stereo into their symphonic or "pop' music, like Sinatra. If they did
a stereo release + mono for an early rock star...the stereo was usually pretty bad. Just didn't put the money into it.
Mono was the standard and stereo was more expensive. Plus most everyone just had a mono player, so stereo didn't sell as well
with the $1 added on to the price. That's why I bought mono
and we even had a stereo console. That extra buck was better put
towards a 45 rpm!!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  21:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heh heh I musta been rich! I usually bought stereo.....been checking my lps and I do seem to have bought mono as well but looking back it could have been a mistake!..got some Motowns in mono...anyway this reminds me of my friends who (they were absolute dopes that day!) who tried to lift some records out of the store we were in...what they did for mono and stereo!.....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  01:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

After a great deal of thought, I have just placed an order with Amazon for the stereo box set. I did toy with the idea of getting both..... especially bearing in mind the reports about how different the the mono versions of Pepper and Revolver sound. Going stereo though is the only (tidy) way to acquire the complete catalogue and all the reviews I've read so far lead me to believe that there has been a big improvement on the 1987 editions. Something tells me that with stereo we will have the best of both worlds....and that all those interesting little extra sounds currently available only on the mono originals will find a home there as well. It is also of course, a question of money.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  14:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree. Moolah...with my wallet kind of stretched right now.
As noted I've been listening alot to the Capitol US record issues. Personally, I like them very much and if the remasters are going to be supposedly well better then that's going to be a jump and I'm really excited to hear to them. heh heh I think I'd pay all the money for one song and that's "I Feel Fine"! I just love to hear how they put together that song. Harmony, lyrics, melody, technique....one of the Beatles' best for me.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  00:16:08  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty muchtoo broke(laid-off for a year!) to get the new remasters, and the Amazon site has no play for " Sgt. Peppers".
I wanted to hear the the intro to the 1st track, when Paul's count-down(1,2,3,4) has always sounded like "one-two-three-futt"!
was that a play on words!? or my imagination?
anyways, the remasters are a good thing! anything Beatles is alright with me.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page