New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  13:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an adapted review I wrote of Taylor Mills new album (featuring Probyn Gregory):

Taylor Mills is known to many as "the beautiful blonde in the Brian Wilson Band", but her second album "Under the Surface" (released October 13th) establishes beyond doubt that she is a major artist in her own right. The album is a collaboration with Scott Bennet of the Brian Wilson Band and her husband, Todd Sucherman who respectively play keyboards/guitars and drums/percussion. Todd and Scott are also co-producers, and Scott has written most of songs. Also playing on the album is fellow BW Band member Probyn Gregory, who as we all know sometimes plays with The Love Band.

Taylor's first album "Lullagoodbye" was excellent and had more of a classic pop/rock style. However, "Under the Surface" is even better. It has a more contemporary feel, and reveals new dimensions to the talents of all concerned. The main instruments featured are piano/keyboards and drums. The sound and production are excellent, and complimentary to Taylor’s beautiful, emotive and sensual voice. The album starts, with “Melody” - a strong track with an arresting chorus that you soon find yourself singing. Scott’s lyrical skills are on fine form, with lines such as “dreams don’t age gracefully” and “truth is worthless when it follows lies”. I particularly like the sounds of the drumming and bells at the end of this track. This is followed by “Sparks Will Fly”; a beautifully-crafted number which starts with sparse guitar and a plaintive vocal which moves gently into a memorable and lilting title-verse. Throughout the album there are interesting changes of tempo within songs, and captivating layers of sound that, along with Taylor’s voice, ensure the listener’s full attention. “Kiss My Soul” has an anthemic chorus , which would surely go down well, live. The momentum picks up on the exhilarating “Just a Second”, and features great drumming from Todd.

In my opinion, the absolute highlight of album is “Best Intentions” – a majestic song, written by Scott and Allen Keller, with some lovely touches of cello. Another exceptional track, “Remember It Right” has a catchy and melodic chorus - “there is water in the day, there are spirits in the night…” (the rhythm on this has a kind of Police/Sting feel). Meanwhile, “I Wanna Stay Home”. features Probyn on flugelhorn and trumpet, and is a song that rapidly grows on you. The up-tempo Living Room” has a more immediate impact, with its sexy vocal and driving percussion work “If We Let Go” is relaxed and jazzy, with some lovely harmonizing as Taylor and Scott sing together. The album ends with a poignant little gem “St. Louis Misery” (written by Allen Keller).In conclusion, “Under the Surface” is an album that is well-worth “diving into” deeply. Those who do so, will find much buried treasure. The album comes with a beautifully designed cover by Lois Keller that depicts Taylor emerging, mermaid-like, from Neptune’s waters. For further details (song samples, pictures, etc.) go to http://www.taylormills.com.

Edited by - John E on 16/10/2009 13:59:52
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page