Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  20:16:16  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just thought many here would, like me, be saddened to hear of the death of Robert Kirby, known for arranging work with Nick Drake.

The Guardian have printed an obituary

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/oct/07/robert-kirby-obituary

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  23:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, he passed on Saturday unfortunately

worked with the Strawbs, Nick Drake

not sure about whether he worked with
the great John Martyn
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  03:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's very sad to hear.
He couldn't have been that old- in his 60s maybe.
I haven't read the obit yet.
I was just reading an interview with him on the Nick Drake site, where he was told that some people thought the strings were too much for the first Drake LPs.
His odd response was that since Nick Drake is the patron saint of depressives, they're probably just being over-sensitive.
After just reading Ian MacDonald's "Exiled From Heaven", I think IM would be very unhappy about that comment.
IM felt that Drake's music had a more hopeful, transcendent message at the center of it, than the sadness that some people have projected on it.
If you read the rapturous responses to "River Man" on youtube (well over a thousand!), you'd have to agree.
I don't think as highly of Kirby's arrangements as the chap that arranged "River Man".
Kirby's arrangements are all good, but kind of bland compared to "River Man" and say, George Martin's arrangements for the Beatles, but that could've been because that was what Drake wanted for his songs.
He was also very young (they were both still in college).
RIP Mr. Kirby.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  04:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as beautiful as Nicks music is,
it is overwhelmingly sad

Because the fellow died so young (26) and without
fulfilling his considerable potential

I couldn't listen to Pink Moon for a long while I remember,
still can't take "Know" - haven't played that for ages

These days I tend to play Five Leaves Left and the occasional
track off Bryter Layter. I don't think the sadness entered
Nick's life until after Bryter Layter and its commercial failure

Pink Moon is a direct response to that - no strings,
no backing singers. From what you read about Nicks state of mind in
1972 (his refusal to answer the door, his sitting
without speaking) its a miracle he was able to
get Pink Moon down on tape in a couple nights
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  05:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Nick's music was a direct response to his depression and in that sense, a hopeful outlet. Just as any real blues artist will tell you,
singing the blues is meant to make one feel better, not worse. Maybe you have to live the blues to sing the blues, but it's a release from sorrow, not a self indulgence. And in that sense, Nick was singing the bluest blues. Maybe it's a Zen thing. Love hate, happy sad, goodbye and hello.

So I find all of Nick's music, even the very saddest or lowest, to be uplifting in a strange way. Am I making sense to anyone here? And even Pink Moon ends on a hopeful note with "From The Morning". I like to think that Nick was in a more hopeful place at the end, of there being something better, out there, ahead, somewhere....and that when he awoke that fateful morning, he would be there.

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  14:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk...Let me say this I admire that you can listen to Drake's music. You know I can't. I find it very hard. My makeup rebels. It's like I can't read certain works or poems. I remember in lit class we had to read Plath. Her inner life was in turmoil. It was hard to read about her great pain.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  17:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the last recorded song we hear from Drake is
on Made to Love Magic, where hes playing
"Tow the line" and then you hear him setting his
guitar down, literally

After that of course there would be no music as he overdosed
on his prescribed Triptyzol. His intent there was not clear
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  23:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lk...Let me say this I admire that you can listen to Drake's music. You know I can't. I find it very hard. My makeup rebels. It's like I can't read certain works or poems. I remember in lit class we had to read Plath. Her inner life was in turmoil. It was hard to read about her great pain.

Maybe because I've been through so much in the last 4 years, losing my sister to cancer, my Father-in-Law to pneumonia & my Mother to a fall down her stairs right in front of me. I was at their sides for each passing.

I can wade grief, whole pools of it........not by choice.....so I guess I relate.

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  03:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been really immersed in Drake lately, I bought Bryter Layter recently, spent two four hour car drives subjecting my family to Five Leaves Left, read the Humphries biography, and finally finished the Ian MacDonald piece "Exiled From Heaven".
LK is right (sorry to hear about all the misfortunes), and Ian MacDonald agreed with him, Drake wanted to make people happy with his music (just as LK described the effect of the blues on its listeners).
JM was right also, IM's piece on Drake was the most perceptive of the three books/pieces written about him.
There is no way you can understand the cryptic meanings of his songs' lyrics without reading that piece.
He had a very Buddhist outlook on life and IM deciphers all the code words Drake used.
However, I am not including Pink Moon in all the above.
I still don't have that, and I can't comment on that LP.
IM said Nick refused to take the Tryptizol regularly, so he could continue to write the songs for Pink Moon.
However if you don't take an antidepressant regularly, it has no therapeutic effect on a depressive illness.
He used it as a sleeping pill, and when it wouldn't work one night, he took more, and that is the most toxic drug around in overdose.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  11:24:32  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I must admit I am a little sad that a thread mourning the death of one man has been turned into yet another thread about Nick Drake. I admired Drake too but as this is an obituary thread for Robert Kirby I feel it not quite right, on this occasion, to go off on a tangent. Hope everyone understands?
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  15:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting quote from Melody Maker by Kirby:

I feel I must clarify a poiint which I hope you will wish to correct as soon as possible.

In Nick Kent's article on Nick Drake he states at some length that I was responsible for the arrangement of the track "Riverman" on the album "Five leaves left". In our discussion on the phone, I pointed out to Mr Kent that at that time Nick and myself agreed that I was not able to arrange such a complex song. It was beautifully scored by Harry Robinson (as stated on the sleeve).

As the majority of people who know and love Nick's music agree that this is probably his finest orchestral song, I would hate to be thought in any way responsible for such a misrepresentation (though obviously accidental) against Mr Robinson, who is probably Britains most skillfully original string arranger

- Robert Kirby, Muswell Hill, London N10
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  22:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a bit silly to police a subject and try to control where it goes. The point of a forum like this is to start a subject and see where it goes. So what if it digresses to other related subjects or even seemingly UNrelated subjects... Kirby has a direct and important connection to Nick which gives us a link to appreciate Kirby's talents and roots.

Almost any subject that is somehow related to Drake, even if it starts with something "unrelated", will inevitably lead to discussions of Nick....but who cares!! Just because one starts a certain subject doesn't mean there is an inherent right to police it. I am quite pleased when a subject moves around, about and forward from an original post & I would guess most everyone else agrees here.

Hell, we can now move to a discussion of Elton John and Elvis Costello, as far as I'm concerned, (two more artists that Kirby wrote and arranged for) and I would be happy that the original post about Robert Kirby's passing led us there....a tribute to his talents, not a sad thing at ALL!

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  23:06:49  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

It's a bit silly to police a subject and try to control where it goes. The point of a forum like this is to start a subject and see where it goes. So what if it digresses to other related subjects or even seemingly UNrelated subjects... Kirby has a direct and important connection to Nick which gives us a link to appreciate Kirby's talents and roots.

Almost any subject that is somehow related to Drake, even if it starts with something "unrelated", will inevitably lead to discussions of Nick....but who cares!! Just because one starts a certain subject doesn't mean there is an inherent right to police it. I am quite pleased when a subject moves around, about and forward from an original post & I would guess most everyone else agrees here.

Hell, we can now move to a discussion of Elton John and Elvis Costello, as far as I'm concerned, (two more artists that Kirby wrote and arranged for) and I would be happy that the original post about Robert Kirby's passing led us there....a tribute to his talents, not a sad thing at ALL!

--william saroyan

With any other type of thread I would totally agree with you LK, I really would. I just felt with an obituary type thread it isn't quite the done thing. Just how I feel, that's all.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  16:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand Elton really likes Nick Drake
(And who wouldn't Scot ?

Back to Kirby - I hope they release the scores he worked on for Nicks
songs. He had kept several in his potting shed - its how he
did the "new" songs for I Was Made to Love Magic:
"I was made to love magic" (aka "Magic") and "Time of no reply"

Did he ever do any work with John Martyn I wonder - can't hear
Martyn with strings though - his acoustic playing is pretty raw

Back to Kirby: yeah, meeting Nick while both were trying out for
Footlights in Cambridge really changed the course of his life. I
didn't know he dropped out of college (like Nick, who didn't want
a safety net - which turned to his undoing when he couldn't keep any
other job, unfortunately, after music failed him)

Island Records must've LOVED him

Ironic that Nick's best orchestrated song ("River song") (lets just say best song, actually) should prove not to be not his work

I love how Nick really didn't like the work of the original arranger
Hewson on the tracks
they cut for Five Leaves Left and insisted on Kirby. And when they
heard his work on "Way to blue", Joe Boyd and John Wood were STUNNED

How old was he at the time - round about Nicks age I imagine. Talk
about a break! 21 and you're hearing your work done on album

Like how he liked the Beatles - yeah, they were a pretty good band!

Definitely an "Eleanor Rigby" influence on Five Leaves Left

I have a few interviews of the man, one at a Nick Drake tribute night
(a Skin too few film premiere where they even brought along Nicks
guitar!)

Always gave the impression of being obliged to Nick and in awe of his
musical genius

I do think Robert was in bands in Cambridge before meeting with Nick
and working on his music. The two did do a fete at Cambridge
(I think Nick played piano, and sax) and of course Robert
arranged songs like "Way to blue" that were played

Being a musician must've helped, as most of the chord voicings
Nick used cannot have been easy to transpose ("Thoughts of
Mary Jane" is in open G5 tuning for Gods sake!

RIP Rob. Cheers mate!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  18:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that info, Joe, and thanks for the Elton John reference!!

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  21:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

Just thought many here would, like me, be saddened to hear of the death of Robert Kirby, known for arranging work with Nick Drake.

The Guardian have printed an obituary

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/oct/07/robert-kirby-obituary

Ah, sad news, so many great souls going recently.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page