Mahavishnu Orchestra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  02:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondered if there are any other fans here.. there's lots of knockout footage popping up on Youtube recently.. God they were good, and still there's no-one to compare. Still have - and play- my copy of 'Inner Mounting Flame'. Sleeve's battered, music still shines like diamonds. As for the 'Flame Sky' JMc duet with Santana on 'Welcome'..

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  17:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing AMAZING and my favorite electric violin genius from the Flock is featured there on a bunch of the LPs.

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  05:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahavishnu, what have you done?
you made a fool of everyone
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  21:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As with Tim Buckley, I saw Mahavishnu Orchestra at the very first Knebworth festival back in 1974! That was an amazing day! Not only Van Morrison but the Doobie Brothers, the Sensational Alex Harvey Band and the Allman Brothers Band topping the bill.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  23:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

As with Tim Buckley, I saw Mahavishnu Orchestra at the very first Knebworth festival back in 1974! That was an amazing day! Not only Van Morrison but the Doobie Brothers, the Sensational Alex Harvey Band and the Allman Brothers Band topping the bill.

A collective WOW!!

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  02:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Missed Knebworth No.1, but went to 2. Memory still makes me misty eyed.. Roy Harper, Beefheart, Steve Miller Band, Floyd doing all of Wish You Were Here and Dark Side plus Echoes, John Peel on the decks.. the campfires the night before, the muesli, the toilets ... eee :)
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  21:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was there at No.2 as well Mike.....great memories!
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  04:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And we haven't changed a bit, eh, Old Man? :) The owners of Knebworth - the Cobbolds IIRC - have certainly until recently sold presentation packs of concert memorabilia, included wih them as 'free gifts' to get around the legalities being CD's of the gigs themselves. It's been possible to get hold of the entire '75 gig. Don't know about '74. Google 'Pink Floyd Knebworth ' or summat, and I expect you'll find their link.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  21:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Mike I've known about those for a while although I've not bought any yet! Have you seen this cool website? http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/index.html
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  02:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a bunch for the link Old Man! Didn't know about the site. Hours of browsing to do now for stuff like the Hyde Park frees, Blackbushe etc etc.. memories have always been a little bit hazy for some.. can't think why!:) Cheers
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  04:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two nights ago I finally found the time to explore www.ukrockfestivals.com further than the Knebworth link and was totally and utterly floored... I went to some of the Hyde Park Free Concerts and Crystal Palace Garden Parties, but coukdn't remember which. Turns out there were lots I'd forgotten completely, and was gobsmacked to find that I'd even seen Mahavishnu!! (Crystal Palace '72, opening for Yes, who premiered Close To The Edge). The site deserves to be a topic on its own.. so it will be. THANK YOU Old Man, I owe you. Pint and meta0physical handshake > OK?. I've got some great memories back.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  21:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great Mike, yes it is a fantastic website, especially for folks who attended any of the early festivals in the days before the internet. We take it for granted now that someone (or several people) will have posted video clips and photos of their favourite bands etc for all to see!

ps. I'm glad it was the handshake that was metaphysical and not the pint! I'll look forward to that!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page