Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2005 :  19:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheryl, I will answer your questions as best I can. i have no animosity toward BL or MR. Whatever I have said that has been directedd toward MR is done so simply because he is the one that has put himself forward as the voice of the band, so I address that voice. I have enjoyed every note I have ever seen the band play...I think they did a fantastic job of playing those songs. If there is any disdain it is more for the people around here that seem to think that playing those songs well and backing AL well places them on the same level as AL. In my (sometimes) humble opinion it does not. Given ALs choice of bands in the past they are best...at playing THOSE songs. I don't think AL wanted or allowed his backing band to become his creative partners, much to some's chagrin. For them or anyone else to honestly believe tha just because you playued some great gigs and made many friends wentitles you to "catrry on the legacy" is, to me, just silly. I feel we all know who's legacy it is and like it or not it is up to him to decide. I feel as do many other that without AL IT IS OVER...full stop. Without AL they are a tribute band at best and I honestlt=y feel thay they are better than that. I would rather see them attempt something new on their own than to see then struggling to be a great Love cover band. JE does not figure large in this as few but original fans will go to see him. This is just how I feel. BL fans may take it personal but I do not mean it that way. I am not taking the "diaries" as gospel just entertainment as The Freedom Man has so kindly pointed out. Whilst some hereabouts findv the "diaries informative and feel "priveledged" to read them (!!!???) I find them cloyying and ingratiating and basically see them as an effort to keep himself and the band in the hearts and minds of their fans.Nothing really wrong with a good bit of PR it's just not for me. I read them rarely and with a big drink of saline.
It's Hall and Oates not The Hall and Oates Band. It's War not The War Band. I would Love to see JE join BL and do something fresh. I would Love to see AL and JE together. I am not particularly interested in AL's personal life outside of it's entertainment value and my wish for his good health and long life. Maybe the demons are the things that drive him and maybe they will drive him to the grave. That is not rare for an artist.
I guess what you are saying is that AL has not done anything that YOU like in decades. To each his own. I would rather hear something else besides those 23 songs again. But you are not wrong. There is nothing wrong about wanting to hear those songs once a year or whenever. No one is asking you to give up your nostalgia. It's just that every artist is not going to endulge it. AL did not play those song for almost 30 years and has said he never really wanted to. I think we all got our treat and should be thankful.
As far as rushing the "Love Band"....far from it. I am interested to hear what BL has to say but am not really bothered about the "Love Band". There are bound to be differing opinions on this and that is fine.
I hope that AL does not get stuck in the past and I also hoipe that he continues to honour it.
I hope that this clarifies my position for you OCFAN. I meant and mean no animosity toward BL or ML. I just feel that the tribute route leads to oldies shows and again I think they are better than that.
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2005 :  03:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree 100% that BL is much better than simply being a cover band and I hope the future focus is on new material.

IMO the reasons for the moniker 'the Love band' are 1) it's a good 'fit' for forthcoming Gethsemane songs which date to Johnny's original tenure in the band and 2) as a gesture of respect to Johnny's contributions. I am positive that if he wasn't involved there would be no 'Love band', period.
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2005 :  03:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I honestly feel that those of you that are clinging to the thought of this GETHSEMANE thing ever getting off the ground are gonna be waiting in vain..Just a gut feeling.
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2005 :  06:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I go along with that jimmyboy, infact I would not be surprised if we dont hear anymore of the Love Band or AL. Disappointed but not surprised.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2005 :  06:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I must also agree...

The only way it would have worked is if they had stuck it out together. Of the two separate entities, AL probably stands a better chance of getting gigs than the unknown "Love Band".

So sad, isn't it? I really think all the fans who have posted here and given so much of themselves deserved alot more
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2005 :  11:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree it,s tit,s up for Arthur,s ex- backing band, i have met + chated to all of them , and they seemed nice guys, HOWEVER if someone had run their mouth about me the way M. RANDEL did about A.LEE in his diary i wouldent be working with them again....WOULD YOU????
Go to Top of Page

bluecap
Second Love

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2005 :  19:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So none of the **** that Mike got was true?
Lets all get this into prespective, both of them proberly said things that they should never have said.
But this is a rock n' roll life style we are talking about.
Even John and Paul, Mick and Keith have been down that path.
It will take a big man to make the first move, and we can only hope the other one will accept and bring a bit of Love back into their and our lives, because it looks like they both need it.
AL with JE and the rest of the band, can bring back so much happiness.
Get it back together, for all our sakes, this is a moment in time.

love you all

the news today will be the movies of tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2005 :  19:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMEN!! I couldn't have said it any better
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2005 :  21:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick and Kieth???...Paul and John??? bears little resemblance to AL and BL. Some things are private and should remain between business associates. I personally feel that AL has shown the greater grace by remaining silent and not airing his and other's dirty laundry. After all we have not and may not ever hear his side of the dramas. I don't mind. I'm only in it for the music!!! not the gossip.

I hope they can resolve but I doubt it.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2005 :  23:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wendy, i agree with your points about the diaries... Arthur Lee kept cool by remaining silent, whereas his ex+ lead guitarist let his ego run away with him, there are 3 sides to every argument...A.L./ ex-giutarist..and somewhere in the middle lies the truth.
The FINAL STRAW for me came when the diary,s began slagging off such people as SHUGGIE OTIS, who hadn,t said a word. and ARTHUR,S last album,,,ARTHUR LEE or 5 STRING SERENADE.
I NEVER BOTHERED READING ANY AFTER THAT.
one thing,s for sure without ARTHUR LEE the diary man will never be playing the Royal FESTIVAL HALL, THE FORUM or SHEPHERS BUSH EMPIRE.
even with ECHOLS they never even half -filled Islington Academy.

Go to Top of Page

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2005 :  03:33:49  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Didnt Arthur have alot of stuff that he made in prison?
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2005 :  09:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, Arthur is headed for Memphis? What happened to the famous night club he was gonna open in Los Angeles? While were at it it, how about the BOOK?? Dream on.......
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2005 :  09:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jimmyboy....lighten up...FOREVER CHANGES. Remember?

I concure as to the "Legendary Gethsemene" project. Dreamware...I suspect. If AL is not into it... how Lovely can it be?
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2005 :  16:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

I agree it,s tit,s up for Arthur,s ex- backing band, i have met + chated to all of them , and they seemed nice guys, HOWEVER if someone had run their mouth about me the way M. RANDEL did about A.LEE in his diary i wouldent be working with them again....WOULD YOU????

It seems that there are none so blind as those who will not see... Before you lay into Mike Randle, perhaps you should cast your mind back and give some thought as to AL's behaviour to his band over the last year or so. There was the disastrous Spanish concert, and then a number of others in which AL couldn't or wouldn't perform, invariably leaving his long-suffering band to carry him. There has been AL's conduct on stage towards his band, particularly MR. There has been his increasingly unpredictable behaviour towards his audiences. And finally, there has been AL's sudden and last minute refusal to join the band on a contracted tour which not only landed his band in the sh*t but also showed complete and utter disrespect to the fans who were hoping to see him. As far as I know, we the fans haven't had as much as an apology from AL for this, far less a credible explanation. Can I further remind you that throughout almost all of this MR was the soul of discretion in his diaries, hardly ever voicing any criticism of AL, and it wasn't until AL failed to show for the UK tour that MR at last told us what had been going on - and even then he did so in remarkable restrained tones. I think he's had the patience of a saint.

You also, with respect, appear to have forgotten that AL's statement that he wouldn't work with the band again came long after the band had publicly announced that there was no way they would work with AL again. As I see it, AL had given the band ample justification for getting rid of him - on the other hand, I can see no justification whatever for AL's belated statement that he couldn't work with the band, unless it was a feeble attempt to save face.

Where I do agree with you, sadly, is that there is almost certainly no future for MR and the rest of the boys as The Love Band. I agree that if they persist in that direction they will be nothing more than a tribute band playing to a dwindling audience and, because life isn't fair, I don't think they'll stand a chance of competing against a new Love band fronted by AL, assuming that he goes out on the road again. Frankly, over the last few years I've wondered how such a talented band as Baby Lemonade could gain much satisfaction from burying their own creativity and instead playing, over and over again, the same very limited catalogue of songs, however great these were. I'd like to see BL drop The Love Band moniker and revert to their own identity, once again creating their own music. Fine, include some Love songs in their gigs, but rely more on their own talent (and if anyone hasn't heard BL being themselves, you can hear some of their music at http://www.geocities.com/babylemonade1/ ). Happily, most of their years with AL as Love were great, but I think that its now time to put that behind them.

David

Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2005 :  21:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am fully aware of the situation between Mr LEE and baby lem.
I have read e. mails from someone in the band sent after the Spain dissaster, but i woldent publish that or re_ peat any of it on an open forum ,such as this....POINT BEING..next time before throwing out the old chestnut,,,Theyre as none as blind.....ad naseum....
Chwck out WHO you are talking to_with.#
As your link to hear b.l. i,m allright myself mate, you listen if you want to..i,m listening to PATTI SMITH right now, and going to sse SHACK this week...i,ve usually found good sounds worth listening to, find their way to me.
B.l never has ..not being nasty...just the plain truth.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page