Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  03:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a lifelong LOVE fan, I am totally disheartened at the split between AL and the band. I know he can be a real pain in the a** but he is the most integral part of the success of the group. Simply put, without him there is no group. With all his problems, did the Doors 'fire' Jim Morrison?? Nope. They found a way to cope and now that he's gone, it seems like they're all struggling to make some $. He was the leader, just like AL, like it or not.

I was so excited to see Johnny rejoin the group he co-founded. It seemed like they were going to be playing more gigs even here in the States. But, without AL, I doubt that The Love Band will be getting many gigs anywhere. These guys are getting older and time may be running out. Isn't there any way to make it work with them together Or has the dream died

I just hate that we are being deprived of seeing this fantastic group perform, and I pray that they will find a way to reunite. Otherwise, we may have seen our last LOVE concert -- good, bad or indifferent. It's such a shame.

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  04:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Finally Free I find myself thinking the same damn way you do. I dwell on ther fact that Arthur could be so f*cked up as to lose the best goddam thing he's ever gonna have. A band that totally knew & loved his music and played it with heart & respect and could tear the room apart.
He's NEVER gonna have a band like that again. Its gonna revert to those sloppy pick-up bands and sloppier shows.
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  04:53:37  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many perfect renditions of "The Red Telephone" or "You Set the Scene" do you need? Arthur and the boys delivered more of them than anybody had a right to expect. I'd rather see a loose rendition of something new than another perfect rendition of a song written 35 years ago. By next week Arthur will be living in Memphis. He tells me he has an agent there and hopes to play some dates in that region as soon as possible.
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  05:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish Arthur all the best in Memphis. Perhaps if he can stay away from the people who feed the negative side of his ego and his drug habits, we may see a healthy and productive Arthur again.
We can only hope.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  05:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great to hear, Jazmaan, but sad for us here in So Cal. It could be a long time before we see him here again.

Jimmyboy, I've never seen Baby Lemonade perform with AL/Love...but the fact still remains that they were a back-up band who can be replaced. I have no doubt that AL can and will find a good band to back him up...it's all about the Benjamins, y'know...and I guarantee you that the new band playing with AL will be making more than Baby Lemonade with no gigs at all.

Getting away from L.A. won't accomplish anything, but more power to him. His demons come from within, no matter where he's living, they will be there until he's ready to do something to make a change. Until then, people will just have to accept him for who he is today.

Edited by - ladylove on 21/09/2005 06:44:53
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  06:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finelyfree if you think BL can easily be replaced you really are living in La La Land.Quite apart from putting up with ALs antics both on and off the stage, how many do you think will have an encyclopedic memory of all his lyrics when they escape him ? And be able to seamlessly deliver them when he can't ?
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  06:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any musician who knows his trade would be able to do that, LarryNYC. What does it take to learn and play old hits? Perhaps a CD of the songs, including charts and lyric sheets -- ya think? It's a no-brainer, and I can say that because I've seen it happen with countless bands. It's all about the old songs the audience wants to hear. All you have to do is look at all the older bands out there. Earth, Wind & Fire, Eagles, Chicago, Motley Crue, mostly still have the original line-up but still only make money from doing the old hits. Other groups like The Temptations, The Four Tops, Prince, Morris Day/Time and WAR have only ONE original member left. Granted, they don't have to clean-up for that original member (at least I don't think so) but they are required to know all the parts of every song.

By no means am I excusing AL's behavior. I've made my feelings about him very clear. But business is business.

Edited by - ladylove on 21/09/2005 06:22:22
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  07:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, finelyfree. I know that BL has made a great many fans and what they need to do now is get a career of their own and give their new fans what they deserve....new music. I know they have it in them... so DO IT!! I for one hope AL does something completely new...maybe some jazz or funky stuff...anything but those same versions of those same 23 songs!!!

I hope AL takes a nice long well deserved break...after 6 years in prison and 3 on the road he probably needs to watch a plant grow or something I think it'a fine for BL to do a record or tour or whatever with JE but I don't think it has any legs, sorry to say. They were great while it lasted but it';s run it's course. I think AL will actually do better in Memphis. It's a music town fukk of Great Musicians. Perhaps he never had the kind of respect for BL that it takes to make a good collaboration. I know many don't want to admit it but they were his backing band...and now they have to sink or swim on their own. I wish them the best of luck and eagerly await the music
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  08:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That sounds like good news, Jazmaan. I'm sure all of us here will join with me in wishing him all the best with his new start in Memphis.
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  09:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the best to Arthur in Memphis. I went to many of the It Came from Memphis concerts the Barbican ran last year, so many great musicians, studios and producers there, a new home in a music friendly town may be just what Arthur needs.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  18:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's with all the demands for new music from AL/LOVE?? I think it would be great to hear something new...but I wonder how much new music Three Dog Night or Neil Diamond or Hall & Oates perform or any other band that was successful back in the day. More than anyone, these groups understand what the fans want to hear -- their established hits. Frustrating as that might be for these artists, it's what the audience wants to hear, and that's where the money is.

Edited by - ladylove on 21/09/2005 18:44:35
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  21:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree with you up to a point. It is true that some maybe even most fans just want to hear the old songs. Some of us however are fans of the artist as much as the music and are interested to hear new songs. i would like to think that all the people hereabouts that are so enthralled by MRs "diaries" would be just as excited to hear new music. Dontcha think? After all that is what this is all about....isn't it? I mean... thanks for the memories and all but there are, I'm sure, some of us that would surely Love to hear any new music at such time as it is ready. I haven't heard anyone make any demands...just requests. I think it's great that AL is going to Memphis. Clean break...I hope.
We all need to realise that the AL/BL experience is, for all intents and purposes, over. We've had that and it was great! Time for both parties to move on. AL to memphis and BL to Whatever BL wants to do. I hope that is not attempting tp make a career out of playing old Love songs. I think they are better than that...truly.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2005 :  01:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like an eternity ago now, but after Cafe du Nord I posted that the best thing that Mr. Lee could do was to get out of town as Johnny did. I had a hunch that if ehe ever did it would be back to his birthplace, and now, against my expectations, he has. For once, the guy has made a GOOD move. Hope he sticks to it. Sucessful rehab/therapy/genuine atonement/whatever else is needed too much to ask for? Must admit I'm pleasamtly taken aback. Perhaps he's finally become aware of the ticking clock. High time, not 'high' time. He remains a calculating individual.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2005 :  17:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LONG LIVE ARTHUR LEE.
bands come + go........NUFF SAID
Go to Top of Page

ocfan
Fourth Love

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2005 :  18:06:40  Show Profile  Visit ocfan's Homepage  Click to see ocfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I too wish Arthur the best. Sobriety could turn his life around. And I just have to put the question out there as it has gone on long enough.
Wendy, why so much animosity towards Mike Randle, in particular, and the diaries? Just curious. Read back through your posts and the ongoing disdain and contempt is so evident. I'm just puzzled. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curious about this. Could you clarify? I think we all would like to know.
As for new songs. If musicians could just pull them out of a hat, wouldn't that be a dandy thing. Arthur hasn't done anything new for decades. I'm hoping both sides can come up with new material.
But why the rush for the Love Band?
Just curious.
Also, if a once a year gig allows me to hear these songs played again I would go in a heartbeat. Just saw War, saw the Temptations last year, Hall and Oates a couple of years ago. Because they were "old" songs didn't diminish the pleasure.
There's plenty of new artists out there to get new music from. Should we give up our enjoyment of "favorite" old tunes because the artist/artists haven't written a new hit? Which is getting harder and harder to be given a shot in this new era of music.
Again, hoping Arthur is not just doing a geographical "fix" and wishing him the best in his new endeavors. But he's got to get that demon off his back before he can perform, write, or even have a shot at a happy life.
Have a great weekend, all

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2005 :  19:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wendy...I can understand that you are interested in hearing 'new' music.

But some of us, even many of us, still want to hear the old LOVE classics.

quote:
Also, if a once a year gig allows me to hear these songs played again I would go in a heartbeat. Just saw War, saw the Temptations last year, Hall and Oates a couple of years ago. Because they were "old" songs didn't diminish the pleasure.

Cheryl-I agree with you. There are albums/songs that have been favorites to me for decades. I have never tired of LOVE, the Yardbirds, the Byrds, the Doors, Rory Gallagher, and so many more. Call me an old hippie at heart if you want-I don't care. This is the music that I love and it makes me happy. Some memories are just worth holding onto...I don't think that's a bad thing

Allan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page