Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2005 :  01:20:38  Show Profile
Quote:
"Outside of these boards the general consensus is that the Love Band is a very hard sell without AL".

The general consensus of whom? Some solitary third rate hack on Rolling Stone? Anyone else - if they exist? Thought not.
As has been stated repeatedly, new music IS being recorded and WILL be released and judged on its merits, same as any other band. Message recieved? "Whole point" made what seems like an eternity ago. Time to stop the tapeloop, as it's so, so ... BOOOOOOORING.
I've found a great new calorie free alternative to my cocoa nightcap. C'mon Mike, give it a try! Zzzzzzzzzz

Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2005 :  02:46:04  Show Profile
Right...let's all talk about weight loss and dieting. that topic is over on the other side. we're just having a lively debate over here. If it gets too much or too boring for you well just like I don't read up on other people's dietary supplements....you can opt out of this thread.
I speak to music fans all over the world on a daily basis, it is part of my job.
This is what I meant by genera consensus; I have personally asked well over 100 people internationally the same questions...because i am interested.....

1) have you ever heard of the band Love - most have
2) what do you know about Love - AL/AL in jail/60s/Forever Changes
3) are you interested in Love sans AL or the Love Band (explained)- lots of interesting answers for "not interested anyway" to "how many origianal members" to "AL wrote and sang the songs why would I want to hear someone else sing them/ is he dead" to to "yeah sometimes cover bands are really good",
4) given a choice, without all of the back story, would you rather see Love or the Love Band with 1 original member or AL with a tight backing band. remember now thas without any backstory...no dirt...no campaigning. Just stright questions.

Less than 5% of the people that knew Love would make any effort to see Love without AL.There was an interest in The Love Band as in a band covering Love songs. Which can be seen as positive. Not insurmountable odds but....
This is evidence to me and it is as real as MR's diaries or anyone's personal stories. I am not against the idea of The Love Band. There is absolutely no malice intended. I like the band and oh...sorry.... I'm repeating myself. how boooooooring of me.

I know that my thoughts on this issue are different from most on the boards but that's what boards are all about.

Free Will
Love
Peace
Go to Top of Page

MHM
Third Love

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2005 :  23:16:10  Show Profile  Visit MHM's Homepage
Can't believe this topic has become so tennis like. "I think this and you think that and if we keep saying it long enough everyone will agree with me."

Wendy. Lighten up! Everyone respects your opinion and everyone is just about singing from the same hymn sheet. Everyone wants Arthur to do what's best to get himself well/fit & playing or whatever will make him happy and also to see Johnny and BL go on and play new songs to a very appreciative public. But I feel you miss the point slightly over the Love label. It IS just a label for the dog and Arthur used it for many years to get bookings as promoters wanted 'Love' - a point I know I made at the start of this topic - and now whether it's under 'The Love Band' or 'Johnny Echols formerly of the band Love, with Baby Lemonade' or whatever conotation makes promoters happy, I think it's time someone else got a chance to milk the cash cow. At least the guys sound enthusiastic. New music. Love songs that have never been played live before etc etc. Love stopped being Love a long long time ago. You should think about why Art actually kept flogging the name.
There are also a number of people on this board that do have 1st hand knowledge of the band and the hear-say or whatever you want to call it, is quite often the same from multiple sources. The reason nothing was said for so long if you didn't notice, is that no-one gave a s@#t about Love during the late 70s/80s and they all had/have regular jobs. Not until the advent of CD reissue did anyone really stir into life on a grand scale. The odd batch of shows by Art under the Love banner is hardly worth everyone giving up their lifes for, especially when Art made them about as welcome as a fart in a space suite.

Whatever anyway. I just love the songs. Not Arthur Lee. I love the band. Not just one person. But that bands gone. Along time ago. Mike, Randy and the boys played with Arthur on the tour I saw in '96, which is more than the 2/3 years you keep mentioning too. That shows you how much most people even cared then. Those guys are due a shed load of credit for putting up with what they did and for helping to establish Art back in the mainstream. Them and the late Gene. Without them, we probably wouldn't be having this inane conversation.

cheers Chris

www.BryanMacLean.com www.ZENuk.com www.MileHighMusic.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2005 :  10:14:24  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage
Well put Chris, I think you've summed it all up perfectly. Now, Torben, I think it's time to put a block on this thread as really, like Chris has said, it is going nowhere except to and fro
Go to Top of Page

bigrubberglove
Fourth Love

188 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2005 :  16:49:06  Show Profile
Torben, please do not put a block on this thread. We need more communication, not less.

Wendy has been persistent but polite and has refrained from name calling.

If the thread is blocked what does that accomplish?

Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2005 :  18:39:00  Show Profile
"Not until the advent of CD reissue did anyone really stir into life on a grand scale. "

You can say that again.
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
206 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2005 :  21:00:59  Show Profile
Please do not stop the thread..Surely it should be a concern how viable the Love band are without Arthur Lee. I don't think that anybody doubts the abilities and correctness of the decision the band has made and as a reader (rather than poster!!) of this messageboard from it's original incarnation, nobody doubts the validity of the frequent poster's and the behind the scenes bull they have had to endure. HOWEVER
I WORRY because after a straw poll of all the "floating" fans who have attended LOVE concerts with me and all the people I have discussions that I have had, basically, they are only interested in Arthur and the legend (Rightly or Wrongly) and although I have tried to spread the word regarding the new band and why it has had to form, they are not interested. So provided the LOVE band are able to gain a record deal, or release on the net and provided Gethsemene is good and get favourable publicity and are able to tour and yet again fill venues and gain favourable publicity..I am not sure how many of the "floating" fans are going to be won over..Sorry to be so negative about this but I am worried and I am sure Wendy is as well.

Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2005 :  21:08:11  Show Profile
I think everybody, especially the band, is fully aware of the uphill battle they will face in their decision to leave Arthur. The reality is that they had no choice.

Let's continue to give them our support and spread the word that anybody who goes to see their gigs will not have to be subjected to Arthur's madness.

Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  03:26:21  Show Profile
What has made me gag most of all has been 'someone's' repeated cries of "let's hear some new music let's hear some new music...", when the parting of the ways only happened a few WEEKS ago. As this person seems to work in the music business he should surely realise that the creative and recording process usually takes way more time let alone the time it takes to find the right record deal etc. As it is the band have scarcely had time to draw breath, and god knows they need it after their experiences on the last tour and before, evidently. The band will release new material when they are good and ready, and not before, I'm sure. Despite 'someone's' claims of evenhandedness I remain in the circumstances sceptical as to his motivation, and will make no further responses to their postings. I know that I am not the first and doubt that I will be the last. Being blunt, right or wrong, I reckon I smell a rat. Whiffy or What?
The time to expess any form of concern about the absence of new material is a long way hence.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  12:31:19  Show Profile
Those were not cries simply a statement. I made the statement repeatedly because I was trying to male a point .....not rush the band or AL. I am patient and supportive of both camps. I was just saying what I want to hear. You are of course entitled to your opinion and your course of action. Your postings are appreciated but not required.This thread and these boards thankfully will survive without any of us. So let's be real. Conspiracy theories abound but there is no rat here. If you look hard enough everyones motivation is suspect. I will support the band because they play the music well BUT if I am forced to choose (which i will not be) then my Love Loyalties lie with AL. As do most! Just someone with a different opinion than your or what's her name the self styled queen of these boards who has no qualms about calling for the closing of a thread that she can not control or that doesn't spout the party line. We are all in this for the same reason....the music. Let's not get carried away with ourselves....and please refrain from calling me "he". I simply say what I think with no veiled inferences. I was quite willing to leave well enough alone after the above posting bore out my point but here come the insults and snide remarks about smelling a rat and such. Why??
By the way...this band has been together for 3 years. Isn't that enough time to get some songs together AL or no? Maybe play a few new songs live? think about it. I am concerned that all involved have a very rough time ahead and I continue to wish them ALL well. In spite of the misreading by some of my "motivations".
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
514 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  14:26:35  Show Profile
My view is that the thread should be kept open, people should be free to write whatever they like and since it's then in the public arena, be prepared to have it challenged. If they become repetitive that will be pointed out, as it has been, and the thread will naturally die.

Torben should only intervene if the abuse becomes personal rather than a robust discussion of a persons opinions.

This is a fans messageboard, it is good that people who are close to the band post on it however I do then think it becomes unwise if they want threads closed, people might then tend to think that that is the bands view. I am not saying that it is but that is the danger.

The Love Band with Johnny Echols are great live, I have seen them and heard the reaction of audience members at Islington who, before the gig, I was chatting to about their background of how the band had been playing with Arthur for a great many years, from before he was in prison, and about how he had dumped them at the airport before they flew out. They were, in the main, unsure of what they were going to get but they had already booked and the ticket, with the refund, was very cheap for a London gig. They were not people who post on this board.

Hopefully word gets round, next time they book a similarly sized London venue people who came to see them last time without Arthur come again and tell their friends. Get Johnny to be interviewed before the tour about the new and old material they will be playing. But it will not be as easy a sell as Love With Arthur Lee, how that affects the financial viability of the band I don't know as I am not in the business but I am sure that will be worked out and costings worked out accordingly.
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
514 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  14:53:44  Show Profile
Another thing that had occurred to me and I forgot to mention.

The Love Band with Johnny Echols will be asked Where is Arthur. They will get this night after night, from journalists, from people at the gigs, given how Arthur has treated them recently it will doubtless bug them but it is inevitable. Not wishing to start up the song writing credits thread again but they are playing music to which Arthur contributed a great deal. The general public often associate a bands music with one person when the truth is even solo artists need others to shape their vision.

In my opinion they should stick to an agreed line, don't go beyond their public statement, if they get a smartarse journalist like the Rolling Stone guy, putting their spin on it, ignore it, don't feed the story or it just keeps on growing. Get to the point of how politicians do it, totally ignore the question thats asked and stick to your own agenda, Love With Arthur Lee is gone, it was good while it lasted, this is what we are doing now with Johnny Echols.
Go to Top of Page

MHM
Third Love

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  16:24:33  Show Profile  Visit MHM's Homepage
Got to agree that if people want to discuss, then let them discuss. That's why were all here.

www.BryanMacLean.com www.ZENuk.com www.MileHighMusic.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  17:55:08  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage
If other people want to contribute and add further stuff that's great...I just felt when one person kept repeating the same thing it was getting nowhere...deabte and discussion is excellent.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  20:00:01  Show Profile
As anyone can see from the robustness of this thread this is an important subject and one that quite a few people feel passionate about. Sometimes in order to stimulate a conversation one has to shake the trees. certain points have been made and then made again...on both sides of the debate. i have so much respect for the band and what they have helped to accomplish over the last 3 years. However the argument made somewhere above that "it's time for someone else to milk the cash cow" is really demeaning and mean spirited.perhaps they are referring to the effort of AL to keep the "legacy" alive, to any degree at all, for 40 years while everyone else did whatever and/or waited for the "cash cow". there is no cash cow! Love is not now nor has it ever been a big money maker. AL is not a rich man but he is a survivor. he may have fallen by the wayside a few times but he made it back! We have not seen the last of him. The efforts of some to write him off or dismiss him based on tales of woe, however true, are to me sad and disloyal. I am not his biggest fan and i have seen him act like a real asshole to people that he should be thanking. Be that as it may, this fact is true...what he has given us over the years is real and that is the real reason we are here talking about this now. Without AL there would be no Love or Love Band. We would never have heard of BL or JE and these boards would be non existant. There is here a vitriolic bent against AL which i don't quite understand. I am sure certain people will deny it vehemently but check back on this thread and you wil see it as plain as day. It is as if they take personally what actually has nothing to do with them other than their interest as fans and perhaps friends of the band.. Well AL has quite a few friends and fans as we are beginning to see on this thread which I might add is by far the most lively I have seen here. Thanks to everyone for your comments and concern. In the immortal words of one Rodney King "Can't we all just get along?"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page