Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2005 :  22:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address
Hi Jazmaan, I guess most of us here just hope that Arthur is OK and is doing whatever it is that makes him happy.

Great to hear about your history with Love as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2005 :  20:06:38  Show Profile
I remember seeing AL and Love open for Eric Clapton in Canada about 1975. John Sterling and Melvan Wonder on guitar, Joe Blocker on drum. that was a really good band. they were not trying to sound like "old" Love. Real to Reel was the record they had out. I really liked that record because it was different. I love it when an artist at least attempts to stretch out even when i don't like wher it end up. most around here seem to just want the same songs the same way day after day. I am not that in to nostalgia, except sometimes. my point here is this: BL is the best backing band that Arthur has had when it comes to playing the old songs from the 60s. They play the som=ngs close to the original versions and in some cases improve on them. However they are not the best band AL has had full stop. I for one have heard those songs enough over the past 3 years and am ready to hear them play something new...as well. Having been on these hallowed boaerds for a short time now I have come to believe that it was time for BL and AL to go their separate ways. If not theyu would probably just keep playing the same things over and over, ad nauseum. I look forward to new songs from both camps.
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2005 :  22:38:29  Show Profile
I saw the same tour but at San Francisco's Winterland. A then-unknown Patti Smith introduced the band as well.I didn't care much for "Real to Reel" nor for that show.
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2005 :  06:41:11  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage
My favorite song on "Reel-to-Real" is Arthur's cover of "Be Thankful for What You've Got". One of my fondest memories of the 96 Sfandinavian tour was hearing Arthur do an impromptu version of that song.
Go to Top of Page

jamfan
First Love

2 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2005 :  07:18:55  Show Profile

I just joined this board, but immediately recognized your name from Gene Kraut's account of how he came to work for AL, saying he had met you on a Hendrix board. That's excellent that you've played such a significant role in the band's history.

As for AL, if his mental and physical health has in fact been deteriorating since last year, nobody can blame him for not wanting to tour. I was looking forward to seeing AL and Love in Cleveland OH this year but I guess it's not to be. I do plan on seeing the Love Band sometime but I hope that the band and AL can go on without any hard feelings towards one another.

I only got to see Love once, last year, but it was a great, great show and if that has to be it, so be it. I still have the albums and DVD to groove to. AL's music has been such a blessing in my life. If retiring gives him peace, who am I to complain?
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2005 :  16:06:57  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage
Hello, as Larry has said, I've been away first to enjoy a birthday break in Scotland then a few days in London to enjoy the delights of Nick Cave. I've got to admit I'm very busy at the moment too (term starts again this week)and another two days in London next week to see The Stooges but just skimmed through all this and my main comments are as follows:-
Wendy, whoever the f*ck she is, doesn't have a clue what she is talking about with regard to the 'Love Band', she's obviously such a fan of 'Love' that she has only appeared here in the last fortnight and I strongly suspect she is either (a) a mate of Arthur's or (b) Someone with a personal axe to grind for another reason. However, just in case she is serious all I want to say is that everyone wishes we were still living in the 'fairytale world' with Arthur clean and healthy and putting on wonderful shows whilst not treating his colleagues like s*it. Sadly this hasn't been the case for some times and, personally, I'm surprised the guys even stuck it as long as they did.
Secondly, in case this 'huge fan' hasn't noticed they aren't claiming to be 'Love' but are in fact 'The Love Band', a small but subtle difference AND if you had any knowledge of what is going on at all you might have noticed that they are not only playing material that has not been performed before but are also writing new material..ie they are not simply 're-hashing the past' which you seem to be suggesting...guess that doesn't really suit your argument though does it to think of that?

If Arthur ever gets his act together I am sure we'd all be delighted, but at the moment, I'm sticking with one of the best live acts I've seen for a long timne and you are reading the words of a woman who goes to two or three live gigs a week and has done for most of her adult life..so I think I have just a little expereince on what makes a good live show.

I'm not into taking on someone who doesn't have a clue about what has been going on with Arthur and the band over the last few years(though amused that several people here have missed me) and my suggestion is to now ignore this person and get on with what we all know is right
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2005 :  20:40:02  Show Profile
I'm up for that !
Go to Top of Page

ocfan
Fourth Love

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  01:00:56  Show Profile  Visit ocfan's Homepage  Click to see ocfan's MSN Messenger address
Caryne:
Thank God you're back to give Wendy some additional perspective she is sorely lacking. I gave it my best shot but we sure needed you.
Her last comment of AL and Muhammad Ali retiring gracefully did it for me. Ditching the band at the gate is not retiring gracefully.
I think we all wish the best for Arthur but this patronizing person who refers to me as dearie or my dear girl either is 80 years old or very immature. Figuring it's the later.
I guess Bach, Beethovan, or Wagner should not be played because the original songwriter is no longer walking our planet. Even though magnificent orchestras keep their music alive.
Anyway, glad to see you back. Hope you had a great holiday!!!

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  02:01:43  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage
Thanks Cheryl, some good points. I just think though that this person has, for whatever reason, a very personal axe to grind so I suggest we all just ignore her as her comments, we all know, are just without foundation.

By the way, I did enjoy the holiday..not looking forward to going back to work on Thursday though
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  07:02:51  Show Profile
What's all this talk about "taking on someone"? Is sameness of opinion required to post on these boards.I thought this was an open forum for EVERYONE to feel comfortable enough to speak their mind. I wasn't aware that there was a universal truth we all had to adhere to
yes OCFAN my comments were meant to be patronizing. I felt I was entitled after you saw your way clear to call me first a "AL groupie" then "an unhappy person. (I am neither). There is no personal axe grinding here, just an opinion that differs from yours although not entirely. I didn't come here to bury AL or BL. I just want to hear good, new music played and sung well.

Well some people just can't stand to be disgreed with. Who the f*** I am is someone who's opinion of what a good live show is just a valid as yours no matter how many shows you go to a week! What a tired, antagonistic and facsist tone you take whoever you are!!! no one has to agree with you and trust outside of these boards not many do. I have plenty of respect for the band. I just want tio hear some new music. Does that make me anathema to would-be-kings and queens of these boards. Most here have acted and spoken with respect even considering differing opinions. Some I fear feel this to be their own little domain and I a nasty, dissenting intruder. So I must be insulted mand "ignored so they can get on withpolicing those thoughts. Peace and Love to all!!!

As for what those orchestra are doing...hopefully they arte serving up a broad repetoire and not getting stuck on the composers first 3 works or calling themselves the Wagner Orchestra. It really annoys me that some people are so inconsiderate of others opinions and so desperate to be right. We are all right just diferent. The title of this thread was and is "GET A (LOVE) LIFE". Get over yourself. Love on Earth must Be>>>>> Blessings to AL and BL...let the music play!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  15:34:48  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage
We are, by and large, a friendly forum and happy to disagree over things when it is done in good humour and not nastiness. Perhaps you should actually spend some time thinking about the tone of your postings and consider exactly why people have not taken kindly to your comments?

I've broken my own rule here now in replying to you, but felt it needed to be said. No more.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  19:37:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy from When

What's all this talk about "taking on someone"? Is sameness of opinion required to post on these boards.I thought this was an open forum for EVERYONE to feel comfortable enough to speak their mind. I wasn't aware that there was a universal truth we all had to adhere to
yes OCFAN my comments were meant to be patronizing. I felt I was entitled after you saw your way clear to call me first a "AL groupie" then "an unhappy person. (I am neither). There is no personal axe grinding here, just an opinion that differs from yours although not entirely. I didn't come here to bury AL or BL. I just want to hear good, new music played and sung well.

Well some people just can't stand to be disgreed with. Who the f*** I am is someone who's opinion of what a good live show is just a valid as yours no matter how many shows you go to a week! What a tired, antagonistic and facsist tone you take whoever you are!!! no one has to agree with you and trust outside of these boards not many do. I have plenty of respect for the band. I just want tio hear some new music. Does that make me anathema to would-be-kings and queens of these boards. Most here have acted and spoken with respect even considering differing opinions. Some I fear feel this to be their own little domain and I a nasty, dissenting intruder. So I must be insulted mand "ignored so they can get on withpolicing those thoughts. Peace and Love to all!!!

As for what those orchestra are doing...hopefully they arte serving up a broad repetoire and not getting stuck on the composers first 3 works or calling themselves the Wagner Orchestra. It really annoys me that some people are so inconsiderate of others opinions and so desperate to be right. We are all right just diferent. The title of this thread was and is "GET A (LOVE) LIFE". Get over yourself. Love on Earth must Be>>>>> Blessings to AL and BL...let the music play!!!!!

Don't forget : "Love one another".
( I like that Rainbow song, its quite good, I think)
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  20:06:48  Show Profile
If I have offended anyone I apologise. I am passionate in my beliefs and respect others that are as well. I question the "others have not taken kindly to your comments" part of your post. It is only you and OCFAN that have offered insults and directives as to what others should or should not do.
I make this simple point: there is only one side of the "truth" represented here. We have heard nothing and probably will hear nothing of AL's side of the "truth". AL is a 60 year old singer/sonwriter not a role model. He doesn't seem ever to have felt any obligation to be a "nice" man or to treat others according to any other rules than his own. Is this a surprise to the many long-time Love fans here? I hea only occassional concern for AL's health which after decades of abuse is bound to be precarious. I am surprised that so much here is based on conjecture and so little on compassion for someone that has given all of us priceless moments..As I have said, outside of these boards the general concensus is that the Love Band is a very hard sell without AL. That may not be a popular opinion here but it is one that certainly deserves to be heard and commented on. No one is writing them off. We are all appreciative of their hard work and dedication. Without NEW music it just all feels a bit too nostalgic for some of us. I look forward to hearing what they do. I'm sure it will be good.

Oh and CARYN (whoever the F*** you are) good luck sticking to those rules and staying inside the lines.... Please try to lighten up.... it ain't that serious.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  22:58:06  Show Profile
Just for the record, WFW, I am also one of the others who have not taken kindly to your comments. No matter how many people who were there at the time (including myself) substantiate the fact that Arthur downright stole the royalties to songs the founding members created together, you still say the same things over and over again as if the real facts were never revealed to you. The Love Band is NOT a cover band...Johnny Echols is a founding member who contributed to all those hits.

Sadly, you haven't got a clue. Unfortunately for most of us, we have to listen to your nonsense.

Edited by - ladylove on 28/08/2005 22:58:45
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  23:40:35  Show Profile
i was not there so it's all hearsay to me!!! I am not debating it. I just want to hear new music not go back and forth about who did what when! Rightly or wrongly when 99% of people hear of the band Love they associate with AL. They are not into the intra band intrigues that some people are. Niether am i. if i want a great read I'll go for Alexandre Dumas. By the way, after his fall from grace everyone that had ever worked with/for him came forward with claims of authorship. Down the line do we remember any of them? I guess if someone is going to take offense or not take kindly to this then so be it. It is not meant as a slight to the band. They just have to step up and make some music of their own or be seen as a cover band with or without JE. Is this not so? Surely if AL has to prove himself again after having hurt so many feelings out there the same must in all fairness be asked of the band. That is the whole of my point. New music...not gossip.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page