Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  20:13:20  Show Profile
Wendy, you do make some valid points -- HOWEVER, I think that Arthur's recent betrayal was the straw that broke the camel's back. I wonder how his fans would have felt if the entire tour had been cancelled because of his choice to abandon the band

I don't understand how you can say that nobody would have heard of Johnny if it hadn't been for Arthur. Johnny is associated with LOVE just as much as Arthur, Bryan, et al. The original band ALL contributed to whatever success the current band has or will have...as well as to any success Arthur has had.

Like you said, Arthur IS a survivor, and I'm sure you'll be hearing from him sooner rather than later. I believe that the band using the name "Love with Arthur Lee" will have it much easier than "The Love Band with Johnny Echols", but they will surely face the same problems with Arthur that every single band he's played with has encountered.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  20:38:11  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage
100% agree with all you say 'Finely free', nothing more for me to add there.
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
206 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  21:05:44  Show Profile
game over for me methinks
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  22:20:36  Show Profile
It would not have been the first or the last tour to be cancelled or postponed. Not the huge tragedy some would make it out to be! True fans are remarkably resilient in these matters. It is only because the band through MR's "diaries" have made their point and told their side that we even know of the details of this "betrayal". Arthur has said for 40 years that he just does not like to travel. He is 60 years old. Perhaps travelling to Europe 4 or 5 times in a year was just too much for him. No one knows the whole story of what happened but AL and the band. I am not insinuating anything merely saying tha one side of a story does not automatically constitute the "truth".

You are dead wrong about JE or BM being associated just as much as Arthur with Love. The vast majority of Love listeners think of AL and Love as one and the same, rightly or wrongly. This has been born out be me time and time again. To most, JE was the "original guitar player" and BM was the other guy the wrote some of the songs. Both long gone. (Welcome back JE) It is AL that most people know and it is AL that most want to hear. Always has been. Every band has it's star and in Love that star is/was AL. Granted the band are not calling themselves Love but they are close enough to try for that "cash cow "that someone mentioned. Yes everyone has contributed including BL. But there can be no question as to who has contributed the most. AL is eccentric, erratic, sometimes brilliant and sometime horrible. Sounds awfully human to me. Bless his little heart for sticking to it for so long when so many others have fallen off forever!
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  22:32:55  Show Profile
Thanks, Caryne

It would be nice if others would stop beating this dead horse and let it go, man, just let it go & chill. It reminds me of a pit bull gnawing on a piece of meat

So much for the suggestion that we all get along. Now we're supposed to 'bless his little heart' for hanging in there

Excuse me while I lose my lunch--

Edited by - ladylove on 31/08/2005 22:38:20
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  22:55:59  Show Profile
As has been said before if you wish to discuss your dietary needs/habits there is a thread for that. This is not that thread.
I guess it's alright for you to make your points re:"every other band etc etc." but my points are a dead horse eh?
Look back over this long thread...see what it is about?..it is an open dialogue. Not to be dictated to please. You do not have bless anything...that was me saying that. That is how I feel. Wow... some people are just contentious. Even after they say they have nothing more to say they keep on saying nothing, just complaining. I do enjoy a lively debate with informed opinions on all sides but I don't have to get personal. If you do not want to discuss this any further well sorry there are those of us that do.. so please, to quote a wise person "let it go and chill"
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  23:23:03  Show Profile
PS I don't know anything about this Gethsemene project that I keep reading about . would someone please enlighten me? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  03:00:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy from When

PS I don't know anything about this Gethsemene project that I keep reading about . would someone please enlighten me? Thanks

a project that had been rumored to have been the followup to Forever
Changes, that has now been confirmed to exist by JE, who has the tapes; said to be finished and released now.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  01:37:37  Show Profile
"Said to have the tapes" ? That's a new one for
me. If those tapes really do exist, and it truely
is the follow up to FC with the original band members,
then it's going to be worth a hell of a lot.

I personally find this very hard to believe, because
if Johnny did have the tapes, then surely he and Arthur
would be already negotiating their release, wouldn't they ?

On another note, after my group Corsica opened for Arthur
and Love at the SF Cafe du Nord shows in SF back in June
I actually took the opportunity to ask Johnny if he had any
live recordings of the original line up, and unfortunately
he answered "no" !

Free the tapes !

quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

quote:
Originally posted by Wendy from When

a project that had been rumored to have been the followup to Forever
Changes, that has now been confirmed to exist by JE, who has the tapes; said to be finished and released now.

Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

303 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  03:51:29  Show Profile
As I recall, what Johnny said is that Gethsemane is a project of his that he has worked on (on and off) since his departure from Love. I didn't get the impression at all that the project included the original Love lineup...much less that tapes with the original lineup existed...but as with all things Love not quite knowing the full story is is part of the fascination, isn't it!
Go to Top of Page

Merlyn Merlot
Fourth Love

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  05:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Merlyn Merlot's Homepage

I want to challenge the assessment that no one would know about BL if were not for Al
i say these passionate disc cussins would not exist inthe smae way
if it were not for the GREAT BL
who resurrected Al and folk rock music by being the mindblow band that they were/are
it's a mutual appreciation society if you ask me
Did you ask me? Perhaps not
but I still challenge you to explain the amazing fantastic performances most of us have witnessed in the last few years without BL in the equation?

Perhaps if they change their name to Love Abandoned
then maybe we'll see where we all come from

instead of writing the future with pre judged opinions.

Why don't we sing this song AL together? wink
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  05:44:23  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by kdion11

"Said to have the tapes" ? That's a new one for
me. If those tapes really do exist, and it truely
is the follow up to FC with the original band members,
then it's going to be worth a hell of a lot.

I personally find this very hard to believe, because
if Johnny did have the tapes, then surely he and Arthur
would be already negotiating their release, wouldn't they ?

On another note, after my group Corsica opened for Arthur
and Love at the SF Cafe du Nord shows in SF back in June
I actually took the opportunity to ask Johnny if he had any
live recordings of the original line up, and unfortunately
he answered "no" !

Free the tapes !

I beleive Johnny himself wrote about it here, and if I am not off, he
did say that Arthur was involved in it, a concept album with the
Devil buying and selling souls.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  07:47:37  Show Profile
What I meant by my statement was that we would not be discussing BL here. Whether anybody would have heard of them o]r not I can not say. I love the way they play Love songs but "greatness" I would not ascribe to them just yet. Please note the "just yet". I believe that innovation is the mark of greatness. maybe we would have heard from them but it is their playing of Love songs and backing AL that has brought them to our attention. Why would I or anyone else want to take them out of the equation? What are you talking about? They have done a great job. But that job is done now.

I think this Gethsemane project perhaps is vapourware as far as Love goes. Maybe it's a personal project od JE. We'll see. Has AL ever spoken on it?
Go to Top of Page

MorpethBhoy
First Love

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  23:42:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by johnbhoy

I'd just like to say Hail Hail to MorpethBhoy

Lisbon 1967

HAIL HAIL!!
Darn the hair we care! (obscure Glen Daly joke)
Tims and people who like Love - you'll be saying you like the band The Church next...

Edited by - MorpethBhoy on 08/09/2005 23:45:56
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2005 :  01:06:54  Show Profile
This has suddenly become a very lonely place to post.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page