Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2005 :  21:24:55  Show Profile
IIt seems we really are all in agreement.The difference is some people just want to hear bands doing whet they did 30-40 years ago.Tothe majority of Love fans worldwide (thisboard not withstanding) AL is Love. I think you all know what I mean even if you don't agree. Most of us don't know anything about some legendary unheard and probably unwritten music. I wouldn'y want to hear the beach Boys in their current incarnation minus Brian Wilson claiming to finsh Smile (if it were unfinished}. But that's just me. I think the band will find that the majority of fan's loyalty is to Arthur and that is in no way meant to diminish the contribution they have made over the last 2 or 3 years. let the music play! Best of luck to all.
I just would rather see AL on a bad night than Love without him. Have you ever seen a film so bad it made you laugh and you found that you actually enjoyed for all the wrong reasons. There it is.
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2005 :  21:57:32  Show Profile
Wendy you just dont have a clue, you obviously underestimate how bad Al can be these days check out the spain bennacaism gig its on here somewhere. If you would rather see Al perform like that than see the Love band I think you will be in a minority of one.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2005 :  23:36:18  Show Profile
I couldn't have said it better, Larry. Nobody WANTED this to happen, we were all excited about Johnny and Arthur reuniting with the band. Sadly, that was not to be right now...and fortunately Johnny came back to save the legacy, because AL was well on his way to ruining it. I know they've got a European tour planned for next year, but I wonder how long we'll have to wait here in the U.S. to see them
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2005 :  23:58:18  Show Profile
To quote Arthur Lee himself from Vindicator:

"I think I know what you mean, but what are you
talking about ?"
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2005 :  11:59:47  Show Profile
I may have overstated,people.What I mean is that I would rather take a chance on AL being bad. After all I think we all have seen many more good shows than bad. Be honest. Don't act like a few bad shows and a web video are the end of you Love affair with AL.I shaw 3 or 4 shows over the last few years and they were brilliant! Both AL and the band were on point each time.It is him that brought you to those shows in the FIRST place. Am I wrong here??? I can appreciate the band more as Baby Lemonade playing great versions of Love songs I don't know how much difference JE will make I didn't see the shows he played. I hope Syd BarretI doesn't show up with a Pink Floyd Cover band and call it 'The Pink Floyd Band" ( I like Syd Barret) I hope for the best and fully support the band's right to play the songs. All I keep saying is that without AL's voice, when and if he's right, it's just versions of the songs I love. Good versions I am sure.
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2005 :  14:53:11  Show Profile
i understand where your coming from wendy as i felt weird about going to see love without arthur, but i went anyway and Jonny could not have been faulted for his performance. Although it isnt arthur singing rusty is an amazing second best, I thought the world of arthur as much as other love fans but it's nice to hear the songs sounding the way they were wrote..even if it's not arthurs voice. Give them a try....no harm eh?
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2005 :  19:17:10  Show Profile
No harm at all.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2005 :  21:41:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy from When

No harm at all.

Wendy, I think- IMHO- that Johnny should not only play guitar but
do, for the most part, the lead vocals in the new LOVE BAND. Make it much more interesting.

Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2005 :  21:53:26  Show Profile
I'll drink to that, Waxburn
Go to Top of Page

OHenry
First Love

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2005 :  22:28:36  Show Profile
Call it "Star Quality" or "Charisma" or the "IT Factor". When you got IT you flaunt IT. Arthurly's got IT in spades. Baby Lemonade with or without JE ain't got IT at all. If you been to a show, you know what I'm talkin bout.
Go to Top of Page

Judith
Third Love

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2005 :  22:51:18  Show Profile
I'll drink to that too Waxburn
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
532 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2005 :  23:13:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OHenry

Call it "Star Quality" or "Charisma" or the "IT Factor". When you got IT you flaunt IT. Arthurly's got IT in spades. Baby Lemonade with or without JE ain't got IT at all. If you been to a show, you know what I'm talkin bout.

Sorry, I don't! Have seen BL with and without Arthur six times and have a number of recordings; can't have been the same band you've seen. Mike Randle hasn't got star quality?? Why is it that most of us wait for the big solos from him, then and go away thinking, Man, that guy is amazing?

I was fortunate to see Tim Rose in concert the year before he died - overweight, heart problems and all - he struggled to get to the stage, but held us all spellbound for 90 mins. Last time I saw Arthur, he played an OK show, but he wasn't the star, unfortunately just a sad reflection of what was once a star; Johnny and the band were however on top form. The point I make is that, IMHO, based on shows I've seen, Arthur is trading on his former stellar status. Tim Rose was hardly the household name Arthur was, but he positively oozed charisma and left you wanting even more.

Edited by - boombox on 23/08/2005 23:13:52
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2005 :  23:32:42  Show Profile
It doth require more than good guitar solos to make a star my dear. Like it or nor is was AL that brought to the point where you would even know to come to said shows....not guitar solos. honestly and no insult intended...there are loads of Good guitar players running arounf soloing..but only one Hendrix and only one AL. I think you are right....JE should do the lead vocals. At least there is lineage. I also agree that a good band needs Star Power as well as great songs. AL hasit and the band with or without JE does not. Without something very special they will not be able to sustain past nostalgia. ...and another thing...whilst reading some of MR's diaries I was struck by the ingratiating pseudo-English tone...geezer this and mate that...innits and what have you. This is as annoying to me as it must be to Americans to see British people trying to use rap and black slang in an effort to Be Cool. The band really have nocore audience outside of Britain...a few people here and there but by far mostly English. Most of the fans,if not the ones on these hallowed boards, are fans of AL. Worldwide... I think an awakening is nig.As my very first post said...time for some new material. Let us see what you are made of
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
532 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2005 :  00:46:10  Show Profile
Well, "my dear" (my, my, we can attempt to be patronising, too!), you are entitled to your opinion of course, but as you have realised by now, most of the people here are fans of the band and the music, not just of Arthur. Yes, some may have gone to see Love because of Arthur, but I actually went the first time as much to see BL, who were making small waves then and being touted as excellent musicians. I have never been a fan of cabaret acts, which, without a decent band, is what Arthur would be, and I would not have gone to see him if I didn't know the musicians were top notch and playing with some enthusiasm. I'm just sorry you fail to recognise Mike's talent (as well as that of Rusty - who does a better job of vocals than Johnny could) - your loss.

As for your comment, "This is as annoying to me as it must be to Americans to see British people trying to use rap and black slang in an effort to Be Cool", that made me laugh out loud. How bigoted and misguided can you get? True musicians don't need to try to use rap and black slang to be cool - in fact, anybody trying to sound black is wasting their time anyway. Current black music is now mostly crap and hardly cool - Hendrix was cool, Aretha and Otis were cool, Miles was perhaps the King of Cool, but 99% of today's black rap artists and 90% of black artists in general are seriously uncool acts who lack originality and sound so alike they all merge into a murky sludge.

As for Mike, perhaps he uses so much British slang because he likes it here and appreciates the fact that British audiences are music fans, not reputation fans. I think that whatever new material Mike, Rusty, Johnny et al come up with will prove the majority feeling here that the legacy of Love is well and trully alive.
Go to Top of Page

OHenry
First Love

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2005 :  03:23:36  Show Profile
When Arthurly takes the stage on a good night he COMMANDS it like a SUPERSTAR. You could put Mick Jagger right next to him and Arthurly would shine brighter. On a bad night Arthurly can be ugly like a train wreck. But he STILL commands your attention. That is what I call the IT factor. In the words of Shirley Ellis "Some folk know about it some don't." Either you got it or you ain't. Arthurly has it in spades so don't be counting him out.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page