Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2005 :  19:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Susan...I once read that Arthur had a minor degree of Parkinson's. Whether that's true or not I'm sure we'll never know. But if that is true, and he takes meds for that, and should he mix alcohol or whatever with it, that could account for his state of being.

It has also been rumored that he's one of those people that has simply made himself miserable. He acts like he thinks he may be better than everybody else, but really he's very negative about himself. Then, he transfers this negativity onto other people. Psychologists call this "transference".

Everyone here has their own theories about what is happenning with Arthur. And doesn't that all add to his 'mysterious' personna?

I do believe that Arthur's 'lesser' performances over the past 2 years has not been good for him, the band, his management, and his fans. But I have to believe that Arthur is a 'survivor'. Many of us here are 'survivors', for many different reasons. If Arthur stays fixed on "it's everybody's else's fault and not mine", then we likely will not see him return. But if he hopefully sees through all of this and figures it out, he'll be back.

I've always felt that a band can continue in 'name' as long as there's at least one active surviving member, and that the 'name' has not been copyrighted or trademarked to any one individual. I don't know in LOVE's case whether Arthur owns the rights to the 'name' or not. Let's say he doesn't. Then I think it would be fair to say 'LOVE with John Echols' is just as legal as 'LOVE with Arthur Lee'. I would welcome 'LOVE with John Echols' here in the States, and would be just as excited to see them as all of you accross the pond have been. I just hope the band continues...they do make wonderful music and great memories.

AND...get well Arthur!! Whatever it is that ails you...get back on track and make wonderful music with the rest of the band

Allan

Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2005 :  20:13:45  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just think everyone needs to read Mike's latest diary to find out exactly what Arthur is like.
Go to Top of Page

Fred in Bed
Third Love

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2005 :  22:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I've never met the guy but I've enjoyed seeing him and the band live. I understand that he has problems that make things difficult for other people and he's obviously very difficult to work with. I also understand that the band are doing great without him. But I think everyone should remember it's his personality, however flawed, that has created all that great music and that without Arthur Lee, those great songs that the band are playing wouldn't exist. I'm not suggesting I'm saying anything people don't know or have forgotten, just wanted to say it, that's all. Good luck to Arthur and the band, together (hopefully) or apart.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2005 :  22:44:51  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True, but it wasn't JUST Arthur that created all that 'great' music it was a whole bunch of musicians and, maybe it's time everyone got their due respects?
Go to Top of Page

Fred in Bed
Third Love

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2005 :  22:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's true, Caryne, I agree. No one should be written out of the story. Respect to them all, whatever their flaws. The music stands up and says something good about them all.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2005 :  23:10:12  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just read the latest diary from Mike for the likelihood of seeing Arthur perfom again though.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2005 :  03:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having read that diary, it makes me wonder if we'll ever see the boys over here again - buying their own plane tickets??? I suggest they get new promoters over here, if they are going to bail on the band like that. I'm glad Mike has come out and told all about AL's no show. Maybe it will stop all the sniping at the band and direct it where it's due.

Also, the obvious popularity of THE LOVE BAND might give AL a metaphorical kick up the backside to dump his ego. As a major fan of all music psychedelic, it astounds me that when compared to other guys still trippin', he is so full of himself. After all, Love were never really a huge international act like Jefferson Airplane. And on a personal level, when you compare him to Country Joe McDonald or the Airplane's Paul Kantner, he has always struck me when talking to him, as being unfriendly, with little regard for his fans, while Joe and PK will happily chat to fans and also take an interest in the online community. PK moderates A-deck and posts regularly when not touring, as does David Freiberg, while joe runs his whole merch store himself - I have a customs declaration signed by him to prove it!! Last year I chatted with PK in a pub on and off for a couple of hours about moving house in CA, PK's school days, books etc.; I could not see AL doing that.

As to those who think AL=Love, to my mind, it's also significant that three of my (and, I suspect, many others') favourite Love songs, indeed my #1 Love song, Orange Skies, along with Old Man and the song which means most to non-Love fans, albeit for it being covered by the Damned, Alone Again Or, were not even written by AL, but by Bryan.
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2005 :  04:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jesus,Caryne has the answer to just about everything..who crowned her the QUEEN OF THE LOVE SITE! suddenly she's the spokesman for Arthur..Then she's spokesman for the Love Band as well..Some of the things she says makes me think she doesnt want Arthur to rejoin Love..she's said things about new members of this site that would keep others from wanting to join..if Arthur happens to read this site and the stuff she says and stirs up she's not gonna be welcome at any shows if Arthur and band reconcile.She's like an annoying cheerleader and with 400+posts to her credit I would say GET A LIFE!!
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2005 :  07:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont like the news so shoot the messenger eh Jimmyboy. Has it never occured to you that some people who post on this board have a far closer relationship with the band than others. You dont know the half of it mate, sure Caryne posts a lot but I can tell you that she has been as quiet as a mouse about things told in confidence. Now that Mike has let the cat out of the bag we can talk about it on the board, but its not exactly new news to some people.
I'm sure Caryne like everyone else on this board would like to see Arthur back to full health and sanity but until he can even admit that he has a problem, dream on.
Anyway fighting amongst ourselves will solve nothing, lets just hope that the music survives in a live form one way or another and a Love gig doesn't become just a distant memory.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2005 :  08:54:17  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry says it all, I just post on first hand information, I don't go with rumours and tittle tattle (by the way, I've never spoken for Arthur, in fact knowing about how Arthur has behaved for quite a while now was what stopped me appearing on this board for a while, just didn't want to be part of anything connected with him)
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2005 :  09:30:41  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just want to confirm what has been said above by Larry and Caryne. Part of the reason I haven't posted much lately is because I've known about things in connection with the band, directly from the horses mouth so to speak, that either couldn't be divulged or that it was simply better for Mike, as spokesman for the rest of the guys (excluding Arthur), to publish as and when he was ready. Mike specifically asked Caryne to spread the word about certain things while the band were over here, a job she has carried out very well IMHO. It would be great if everything was sweetness and light and everyone loved one another, but as now is patently clear, that is far from the case. As for Arthur's future, who knows, but the only person who can determine that is himself - he's been given every possible chance to succeed in the past by a fantastic group of guys.

As Joni Mitchell said " Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got till its gone..."
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2005 :  10:29:31  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ditto everything Tina has just said....those of us who have known the situation, and had the decency to know that it was not our place to speak until the time was right, have not found recent times easy. I am glad, for everyones sake, that things are now all clear to everyone..let's move forward now, there's still lots of great music, old and new, to be heard
Go to Top of Page

andyl
First Love

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2005 :  17:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry Jimmy, you can't beat the thought police on this forum
Go to Top of Page

oldfartatplay
Third Love

74 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2005 :  17:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andyl & jimmyboy-just read Mike's recent Diaries.This has got nothing to do with any 'thought-police',it's more of a reality check,and time for us all to take off the rose-tinted psychedelic granny-glasses!
Go to Top of Page

ocfan
Fourth Love

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2005 :  19:25:20  Show Profile  Visit ocfan's Homepage  Click to see ocfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In all fairness I have seen people flip flop in their support on this board but Andy and others: Thought Police? Puleeesee. The band asked Caryne and Tina to represent them on several things. They only shared what the band had asked them to share until all the dirty laundry came out. Anyone who threatens women even if it's just a phone call is an abusive, sick person. Read the topic gangsta Lee. The real Arthur emerges. It may be the drugs but his ego is astonomical as well. Too bad such an incredible singer and thats basically what he is. Many others wrote the songs. He was just wily coyote enough to get the rights. Wake up and smell the coffee.
Nothing would make me happier to see him well and fit again but I don't think it's gonna happen.
By enabling and supporting his actions you are just helping nail the coffin shut.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page