New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2005 :  21:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With so many ( what went wrong)tales of woe on the Board of late, i would like to remind us all of what went right.
From 2002 untill this year, LOVE were really awesome ,all 5 members.
Personally i think they really peaked during the 2004 tour as far as the U.K. goes with the 3 shows at BRIGHTON CONCORDE, LONDON FORUM, and the SHEPARDS BUSH show that April,being realy magical.
I am so glad i made the effort to see them the dosen times i did,as
the way things look at this point in time we may not again
We all have our individual memories of what made certain shows so special..the important thing is THAT IT DID HAPPEN.
aRTHUR,S VOICE ON "OLD MAN"...MIKES SOLO ON SINGING COWBOY........
whatever did it fot you, we all had a great three years...LOVE..ALLAN

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2005 :  23:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allan, you're absolutely right about remembering the many great moments of the past few years.

High point for me (not having had the chance to see the UK tours) was the comeback show at the Knitting Factory in LA in 2002. The atmosphere was electric, with a packed house celebrating Arthur's return/release, and the performance was fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2005 :  02:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering how long it would be until someone posted a topic along these lines. I figured it might take a little longer.High points,low points, solos,set lists,stage apparel,freakous,cussouts. Yes it was a good run. It did seem to peter out in 2004.The Love/Zombies tour was a bit of a lift.Maybe being co-billed with another valid mid 60's band kept Arthur in check. maybe he still had a sense of pride. What the f**k happened. People died? He's used that as an excuse too,or so I've read on this site. The second Knitting Factory show,a benefit, was good too. But that place is like an OVEN IN THERE!!
Go to Top of Page

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2005 :  03:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, ALLANAGAIN,and that DVD! In fact that DVD from Newguy was awesome. I've been a Love fan since 1975, and this 3 year run was somewhat of a Miracle. Too bad, it does not look like we will see them again. Arthur his own worst enemy.
Go to Top of Page

bigrubberglove
Fourth Love

188 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2005 :  05:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just want to add that that perhaps the peak of all art (in my admittedy humble opinion) is hearing Arthur sing Old Man live with the orchestra circa 2002-2004. I think the 1/16/04 San Fran show where he sings that is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. I once sat in a park near where I live and played it about 10 times in a row, just reveling in the beauty. I clearly believe that we can make a distinction between what we think about an artist and how we judge an artist's work.

I believe that indeed his song writing credits are likely overstated. But at the end of the day the main reason I worship Arthur as an artist is his beautiful and passionate voice and secondly the fact that he was the key man behind Forever Changes and the fact that he did it at age 22. It blows the mind! Regarding Arthur's voice, I prefer it from 2002 over 1967. In the latter years it had a fuller sound and was operatic when needed, such as Singing Cowboy.

I must admit that I have never felt such a strong connection to an artist and feel a bit awkward blathering on and on about Arthur/Love, but the fact is that I am a music "snob" and of the thousands of albums that I have heard in my lifetime I still consistently place Love right near the top. This band is magical. The music is timeless. I am wishing 100% that Love rolls on...ideally with Arthur,,,but of not that Arthur takes good care of himself.

Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2005 :  15:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree

I admire the music very very deeply and have done for such a long time it's part of me.

but i don't admire the man.

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2005 :  00:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GOOD TIMES As the song says. I,m really glad they did the R.F.H. d.v.d. There it is in all it,s glory..LOVE..Nobody can deny them that.
I have the bootleg from THE KNITTING FACTORY on 1st may 2002....what a gig, must have great being there. LOVE....Allan
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2005 :  03:46:39  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
ALLANAGAIN- ..... i was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! magic that night!!! seen them a few times with Forever Changes strings, with Echols, Conka, etc....and THIS night is special! just the LOVE band with LEE. just the second show after Lee's release. all the spirit was there, and was a JOY to be there! Randle filled in for the orchestra really good, and Lee's maracchas and tambourine sounded right on!!! i'm envious of your recording!!!
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2005 :  04:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ALLANAGAIN -

Since that's possibly my favorite all-time show for any performer....I would LOVE to get a copy of the Knitting Factory bootleg if you would consider it.

I have tons of stuff for trade including plenty of 1960's / early 1970's bootlegs/rarities from various bands including Love.

Please let me know!!! You can reach me at bradmdavis@tampabay.rr.com.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2005 :  14:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruxprncd

ALLANAGAIN -

Since that's possibly my favorite all-time show for any performer....I would LOVE to get a copy of the Knitting Factory bootleg if you would consider it.

I have tons of stuff for trade including plenty of 1960's / early 1970's bootlegs/rarities from various bands including Love.

Please let me know!!! You can reach me at bradmdavis@tampabay.rr.com.

Rux, I think I may have that, if you want I will be happy to send
if you email me off line.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page