Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

GoodHumourMan
Third Love

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2005 :  15:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any updates on Arthur? Is this just a short-term thing of is Love about to become Love of the 21st Century.

DanGerMan

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2005 :  01:55:15  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
God- i pray Arthur IS in rehab. i was in rehab for heroin addiction. i've been off the H for 11 years now. A.L. will do what he has to do before all is said and done. just like with me. i pray for his return to health.come-on, Arthur, you can do it, man!
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2005 :  00:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think Arthur's problem is/was alcohol and not Smack. He was also overweight and not well-looking at his last appearances which was nearly a full month ago already.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2005 :  02:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can lead a horse to water...I hope that Arthurs friends in L.A. who apparently read this board are doing all that they possibly can to at least achieve this. If not, they are 'friends'... or frauds. I realise that his temperament may have played its part if this latter situation is true, and that good people may have been driven away, but if none remain who are prepared to tell him things as they are then he could well be stuck fast to the rocks on an ebbing tide as Five Sail. Glastonbury '03 suddenly seems a long, long time ago. I hope he's been jolted awake by recent events and words, but if they don't do the trick then I don't know what will, apart from someone steering him in the direction of something like Eric Clapton's Crossroads project. OK, friends, are you reading this?
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2005 :  11:56:37  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this may sound strange but

Perhaps we have his time in prison to thank for arthur's brilliant comeback. A healthy regime, time to reflect etc.

Over the years there were a lot of rumours about him being in a poor state of health and mind - so much so that I was astonished to see how good he was in 2002. Then he (with much support from others, particularly the band) kept on getting better. Sad if he doesn't recover his form, but hey we've been witness to something truly exceptional haven't we? (between the blips of course)

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2005 :  12:43:54  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with you totally Lizzy, I think he did get a chance to get his head together in prison. I would never wish anyone back there but, mentally, perhaps he already is..that's what needs to change.

I also agree Lizzy, we had a great few years, and I wouldn't have missed them for the world...let's look to the future, with 'The Love Band', Johnny and any others who wish to join the ride
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2005 :  13:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lizzy,
I've always maintained that jail was one of the best things to happen to Arthur. He came out sounding great, and looking fantastic -easily ten years younger (and I was at the Powerhouse gig in 1996).
Arthur had everything going for him...a great band, women of all ages finding him attractive, and so much to live for. Just over a year ago, I was telling people that he was the greatest living rock performer, which was true (I particularly remember has totally passionate and heartfelt rendition of "Old Man" at St.Alban's last year). It's karmic law however that if you don't attempt to develop your own inner sense of responsibility and authority, then these things will come at you from the outside. It's particularly easy
for Arthur, as a Pisces, to fall into this victim's role. Okay, we don't want Arthur to become too normal...his eccentricity and "outsider" qualities are very much a part of him. However, Arthur seems to be repeating history with the whole pattern of his career - right down to not showing up for gigs. Time is not on his side any more, so I hope he can come off of what appears to be a path of self-destruct, and do whatever is necessary to achieve this. I feel that the worst thing he can do right now is fall out with the rest of the band, after they have overcome what can be seen as an act of sabotage. What the Love Band have done is a great achievement - they've honoured their commitments to those who have booked them, recouped at least enough money to cover most of the costs involved, and most importantly kept the spirit of Love alive. The Love Band have also proved that they've got enough talent between them to go it alone if necessary. However, I still like to
think that Love with Arthur Lee can be reborn. Arthur's voice is unique, he brings a great sense of humour to the shows, and he has an iconic presence. Even if Arthur's not producing any new material, there's still so much unplayed material that he could present live.
I'd love to hear more "Four Sail" and "Five String Serenade", played with the Stockholm Strings 'n Horns, and of course most of Arthur's
body of creative work is enduring and timeless. Love, John E
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2005 :  00:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well said, John E. Interestingly, most of the sensitive, self-destructive artists with victim complexes I've known have been Pisces, like Arthur (the feathered fish). And I think you're all right. Jail likely allowed him the period of health and rejuvenation we witnessed following his release. There's a great Iggy Pop song that addresses the sobriety struggle:

Things get too straight
I can't bear it
I feel stuck
Stuck on a pin
Well I'm trying to break in
And I know it's not for me
And the sight of it all
Makes me sad and ill
That's when I want
Some Weird Sin
just to relax with...

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

otiselevator
Third Love

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2005 :  01:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with John E, even if Arthur isn't writing any new material, there's just so many songs he could perform: You I'll be Following: Gazing: The Castle: Gather Round: Feathered Fish: You Want Change for Your Re-run (not everyone's first choice I know!)....loads more, I'm sure we all have our favourites. I just pray he's got the strength, and the sensible friends, to help him over his present difficulties. It really would be such a shame for him to blow it again now....
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2005 :  04:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those of us on this board who are capable of constructive commet have, I think said virtually all that can possibly be said now with regard to Arthur's problems and how we think, not actuaaly knowing the man, that they should be resolved in his very best interest, to the point of repetition. I have no doubt that by some means or other this will have got through to him. It is his choice whether he agrees or not and does what we think is best. All we can do now is wait for news, and hope that it is positive when it comes.
All of us want to see nd hear him on top form again, and do so with an expanded repertoire if possible. Unlike some, perhaps, I still think that, if well, he is still capable of producing new music of real, lasting, merit, despite him raging in prison, emerging 'dry' and producing 'A****m'. If bluesmen, jazzers, classicists, poets and writers can go on producing fine work into their seventies, why not 'rock' musicians, provided they look after themselves mentally and physically. Rock is still a young music. One day fairly soon somebody will - I'm not sure of Cohen's age, perhaps he already has done so. Arthur has had a wealth of experience on which to draw, and, if he changes his ways, could follow suit. All musicians make the odd 'turkey' once in a while, perhaps more frequently as they grow older, but it would be wrong to write off the possibility of pulling the occasional 'good 'un out of the bag. Here's hoping. It's up to him.
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2005 :  07:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel Arthur still has another Five String Serenade in him. He was definitely into middle age when he wrote that, yes? A beautiful, perfect little song. My gut says he'll be back performing in top form once again...he'll miss the Lovelights and the glory too much!

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2005 :  00:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said, Michael, heres hoping. I fear, though, that if current events dont give him the jolt he needs, then nothing will. Whether he likes it or not, it is crunch time. His problems have now been brought into the open as never before and relentlessly dissected - not always as constructiveely as I'm sure most on the board would wish - and this is bound to adversely affect his 'bankability' as both a live artist and as part of a record label roster. I hope that money - or the dwindling of it - will talk sense into him if nothing else does. I don't doubt that he's a wily soul, and that he may have some reserves 'squirreled away' for that rainy day, but right now it feels - at least to me - that it's comparatively pouring. Time to go into the back yard and dig something up - hoping that that damned dog hasn't got there first- and make the best possble use of it. Cleaning up, doing it once, and doing it right. If not, then suddenly I don't think that he's got too far left to fall.
Once there was a very fine artist called Jimmy Reed, who fell by the wayside for similar reasons. He could often only stand to perform by being propped up by his wife, and had some great musicianss to cover his back. Sounds familiar? Now Arthur may well have lost their modern day counterparts. They are due back in LA today. We don't know what communications have passed between him and band while on tour, and Mike has been silent of late. I hope for a reconciliation, but if Caryne's assessments are correct, doubt it. We'll know soon, but I really struggle to think, with his now public reputation, who of any calibre would want to work with him in future. He has to wise up now, or face the sad consequences. I believe him to be a very clever man, and hope that now, of all times, this remains the case.
Go to Top of Page

ocfan
Fourth Love

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2005 :  06:00:22  Show Profile  Visit ocfan's Homepage  Click to see ocfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
An addicts friend is only a friend while the drug supply and money lasts. Let's hope that Arthur has a few true friends around him who can convince him to quit chasing the dragon. Drugs are such fun in the beginning. You own them and but then they own you. Rehab is Arthur's only chance.
Mike has been an eloquent spokesman who tried his hardest to make the best of truly horrible situations but this one topped the cake.
It was downright impossible to sugarcoat this betrayal of AL fans.
I think the LOVE band may have decided enough is enough and Arthur has lost the best band in the world. If LOVE wants to continue on with Johnny that's good with me.
If Arthur wants to clean up, give the guys a sincere apology and they chose to accept it and he's back on board that's all good too. But I don't think his ego or his addiction will allow that one to happen. Nor would I blame the band if they told Arthur to carry on where the sun don't shine.
Let's hope things work out in the way they are supposed to and that it is what is best for all involved.
Welcome home guys. Book a gig in L.A. and we will be there.

Cheryl

Edited by - ocfan on 20/07/2005 06:01:32
Go to Top of Page

Susan B.
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2005 :  09:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody ever considered that his behavior is not changed by Alcohol and drugs but by some physical condition. I once knew somebody that had a bad case of /tourettes. I had never heard of it. I thought that he was messing with people because of his strange wotds and movements. This year I have acknowledged my mortality and maybe he is realizing his. Just a thought. Devil's Advocate.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2005 :  12:05:30  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting thought Susan, but too many people know the truth now for any more 'devil's advocate' stuff. Of course, one could look at the reason for why a person needs drugs, alcohol etc.
Go to Top of Page

Judith
Third Love

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2005 :  12:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there is only one person who knows the truth-Arthur himself. Live and let live!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page