Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2012 :  00:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine would be 7 March 2010. On what would have been Arthur Lee's 65th birthday, Love fans from across the UK assembled at an upstairs venue in the medieval heart of York. Rusty Squeezebox was there and the DJ had an amazing collection of Love albums and singles. I was able to meet for the first time both current and erstwhile members of this board..there was Dukie of course but also Tina and Lizzy...going futher back there were people like Scottish Keith and the guy from Easingwold who organises the Summer of Love festival in Kent each year. There are pictures elswhere on the internet of us all tucking into the Forever Changes birthday cake that Tina brought along. One of the most enjoyable parts of the whole experience was the opportunity that we all had to share our experiences, anecdotes and perspectives. And it really didn't matter what your bag was....Forever Changes, Four Sail....or False Start....it was all there being celebrated. I honestly cannot believe that there can have been a more sincere or affectionate tribute to the genius and humanity of Arthur Lee....or to the many band members who along the way, helped to immortalise one of the greatest canons of popular music.

A love supreme is going on inside
It's not a dream that changes with the tide
As if you were riding on velvet sheets of sound
It's nice to be

Edited by - John9 on 24/11/2012 00:36:04

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2012 :  00:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont know about any of those people, but my most positive Love experience was when by perchance, years ago, stumbled upon a copy of Four Sail.somehow i played Always See Your Face first and that sort of did it for me.

Edited by - waxburn on 24/11/2012 00:36:18
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2012 :  00:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I agree absolutely, Waxburn. When I managed to get my hands on a copy of Four Sail for the first time, I was blissfully happy. Always See Your Face is a deeply moving and beautiful song - and a wonderful way of closing out the album.

Edited by - John9 on 24/11/2012 00:41:46
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

Bangladesh
698 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2012 :  01:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Playing 'You Set The Scene' to my students in Bangladesh and asking them to analyse the lyrics!

They sat through the whole 7 mins in silence with bewildered, yet fascinated looks on their faces. Their interpretations of the lyrics were very creative and thoughtful.

For the time that I've been given's such a little while and the things that I must do consist of more than style....
Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2012 :  03:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great topic; thanks for coming up with it, John. Way too hard, if not impossible for me to narrow down; my first live Love show, at age fifteen, and it only took that first concert for me to have a new and lasting favorite band. Great songs, great energy, great vocals, the best harmonica playing I'd ever heard; Don Conka on drums, just a few months before the release of the first album. Or my first Love show at the Whisky; the age limit of 21 and older had recently been lowered, and it was the Da Capo band with Tjay Cantrelli on reeds and Michael on drums, with the abilty to drive the band in a way I hadn't heard since the days of D.C. Or meeting and speaking with Arthur in the early seventies for the first time through my friend Bruce Riley, who lived on up on Wonderland near the top of Laurel Canyon, and had road managed a recent British tour for Arthur. Or reaching Arthur on the phone at his home in very early 1982 (number courtesy of Harold Bronson of Rhino, who said "If he's in a bad mood, don't tell him you got his number from me") and coming away with a very cool thirty minute radio interview, wherein Arthur not only opened up and was a great interview subject, but was also every bit as cool as I always knew he'd be. Or the time in the very early nineties, when Arthur called me at home, totally unexpected (I hadn't known that Mark Linn, a mutual friend, to whom I had a few years earlier passed along Arthur's number, and who had himself ultimately come to work in a managerial capacity for Arthur, had given him my own number. To hear over the phone, out of the blue, "Is this Rick Williams? This is Arthur Lee," and to absolutely recognize that voice instantly, immediately, and know that yes, it was Arthur Lee. Or introducing myself to the Baby Lemonade guys after seeing them play with Arthur their first three or four times, and telling them in complete, total honesty, coming from a fan who had seen Arthur play live with every single California-based band he'd worked with since 1966, that they were definitely, to my mind, every bit as good, if not better, than any and all line ups since the original band, whatever that "original" band might be to you; Conka/Fleck; Snoop; Stuart-Ware/Cantrelli; etc. etc. etc. Regardless, Arthur's late in the game concert ending request of his fans, "Love one another," still sounds like a pretty solid idea to me....

Edited by - SignedRW on 24/11/2012 05:13:29
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2012 :  03:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to to say the House Of Blues show 8 or 9 years ago in Hollywood. Just a magical performance. Also meeting him at the 2nd to last Love show in San Francisco at the Cafe Du Nord. I attended both nights but as he came in before the first show I walked up and got a very friendly hello and a strong,firm handshake.

Edited by - jimmyboy on 24/11/2012 03:55:25
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2012 :  04:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i expect that MY MOST positive Love experience will be when i am able to enjoy some new AL material.

Go to Top of Page

Ashrob
Second Love

48 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2012 :  20:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10 March 1970 when i saw Arthur and Love play for the first time at Birmingham Town Hall.

Close second 2002 when I saw Arthur and Love play Robin Hood Bilston with my two boys
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2012 :  21:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've really enjoyed reading all these

Ashrob - you probably know this, but it is the poster for that 1970 Birmingham gig you mention that is reproduced in the booklet for the Out There CD - it says Love in concert with Colosseum. In actual fact, I saw Colosseum at Sheffield University in January, 1970 - but they were on their own. Love also played there two months later.

Edited by - John9 on 24/11/2012 21:41:04
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2012 :  11:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great date in the Love chronology would be 7 March 1993 - when the band had probably their highest profile ever exposure within the the UK. On that date, controversial Labour MP and later Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone was the guest on Radio Four's Desert Island Discs. Selection number six was You Set The Scene - if you go to the page below, click on Listen and then move the timer to about 28 minutes in, you can hear him speaking about the band prior to the music being played:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/75fa0f24#p0093x49

It is an amazing coincidence that the show was broadcast on Arthur's 48th birthday....well that's one point of view....I suppose that another would be that some sort of synchronicity was going on!

Edited by - John9 on 25/11/2012 11:55:13
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2012 :  13:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great thread.

For me the whole of 2002 and 2003 were amazingly positive. Who said there are no second acts in American lives :-)

There are so many moments, but that five minutes at Manchester Academy, June 2002 when a couple of thousand Mancs were chanting AL's name makes me smile each time I recall it. Then a couple of weeks later in Dublin I got to meet the man AND carry his guitar...

Good Times
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9712 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2012 :  14:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never had the extreme pleasure of seeing Arthur live as so many here have...but my memories of LOve...hearing "My Little Red Book" on the radio when it was a minor hit in the 60's; seeing that Dick Clark appearance on TV as it was aired, then rediscovering Love and FC in the early 90's with a first pressing vinyl snag.

Finding a promo copy of Da Capo with a unique label inside for ten bucks! (it was in a newly arrived box of used vinyl at a friend's record shop)...

Having a communication with Jac Holzman about Love; what a gentleman!

And finally getting Jac's reference to check out Torben's forum, where I met and became friends with so many good forum members, including fine friendships with "rw", Michael Stuart-Ware....and some fine exchanges with Dukie, Joe, J9, rocker (where are you?!!) ...and so many good guys here.

I guess my biggest surprise was when I opened Eirnarson's "Forever Changes" bio to find a "thank you" for my support in the prologue....sweet. John and I have remained in touch.

AND thanks to Ed "Freedomman", a friendship and bond I also forged through LOVE....

life's good when you have LoVE!!!

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find money cannot be eaten.

~ Cree Prophecy

Edited by - lemonade kid on 25/11/2012 14:39:59
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2012 :  20:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL I had a dream where AL was kicking people out of RR Hall of Fame.

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2012 :  20:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scully

Great thread.

For me the whole of 2002 and 2003 were amazingly positive. Who said there are no second acts in American lives :-)

There are so many moments, but that five minutes at Manchester Academy, June 2002 when a couple of thousand Mancs were chanting AL's name makes me smile each time I recall it. Then a couple of weeks later in Dublin I got to meet the man AND carry his guitar...

Good Times

...and I was one of them. You and I were so lucky to have been at that gig, Scully...it must have been one of the very best of all time.

LK - that's a great shot of the Da Capo vinyl!

Edited by - John9 on 25/11/2012 20:29:33
Go to Top of Page

Ashrob
Second Love

48 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2012 :  00:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John9 - copies of the poster were available on the night - I can remember buying one.

My friend saw Coliseum several times and thought they were at their best that night.

Mothers was a wonderful rock venue, I think, in Erdington Birmingham. Saw Derek and The Dominoes and Rory Gallagher there.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2012 :  15:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ashrob - many thanks for that - curiously I was outside Birmingham Town Hall just two weeks ago - the nearby City Art Gallery is an absolute favourite of mine.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page