Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Your most positive Love experience

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 24/11/2012 : 00:30:05
Mine would be 7 March 2010. On what would have been Arthur Lee's 65th birthday, Love fans from across the UK assembled at an upstairs venue in the medieval heart of York. Rusty Squeezebox was there and the DJ had an amazing collection of Love albums and singles. I was able to meet for the first time both current and erstwhile members of this board..there was Dukie of course but also Tina and Lizzy...going futher back there were people like Scottish Keith and the guy from Easingwold who organises the Summer of Love festival in Kent each year. There are pictures elswhere on the internet of us all tucking into the Forever Changes birthday cake that Tina brought along. One of the most enjoyable parts of the whole experience was the opportunity that we all had to share our experiences, anecdotes and perspectives. And it really didn't matter what your bag was....Forever Changes, Four Sail....or False Start....it was all there being celebrated. I honestly cannot believe that there can have been a more sincere or affectionate tribute to the genius and humanity of Arthur Lee....or to the many band members who along the way, helped to immortalise one of the greatest canons of popular music.

A love supreme is going on inside
It's not a dream that changes with the tide
As if you were riding on velvet sheets of sound
It's nice to be

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 08/02/2013 : 20:39:18
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

You know lately I've been curious as to how succeeding generations have viewed FC. I mean we're out of the 60's and all that so something has appealed to them as they listen to the songs. My take is how can you be affected at the same time and really not "being there". Something's goin' on!...

It's the MUSIC! TImeless, and at the same time, of the 1960's..that magical time that those born after wish they could live.

Lucky us...we get to re-live it in every 60's album and song we hear!

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk
Joe Morris Posted - 08/02/2013 : 18:05:30
No it isn't
rocker Posted - 07/02/2013 : 18:40:22
You know lately I've been curious as to how succeeding generations have viewed FC. I mean we're out of the 60's and all that so something has appealed to them as they listen to the songs. My take is how can you be affected at the same time and really not "being there". Something's goin' on!...
lemonade kid Posted - 07/02/2013 : 14:48:12
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Or at least that musical tension & creative amalgam still lingered a while in his mind, before Arthur totally disowned that classic Love era.

Do you think so? I think deep down FC had a profound effect on him and perhaps it can be seen as he paid real attention to it as he career wound down. He was a proud man on that endeavor I just know it.

Right. I meant "not forever", rocker, thankfully. Arthur admitted himself that his new "heavier" bandmates hated that FC styled psych rock, and being prone to peer pressure, Arthur disowned it--playing hard rock, Hendrix styled r&b for quite a while. By the 80's & 90's he seems to have returned to the 60's Love we loved, at least in concert.

I think in his last decade Arthur finally returned to embrace what was his most fertile and inspired muse--the 60's Love era.

-lk
rocker Posted - 06/02/2013 : 21:13:05
Or at least that musical tension & creative amalgam still lingered a while in his mind, before Arthur totally disowned that classic Love era.

Do you think so? I think deep down FC had a profound effect on him and perhaps it can be seen as he paid real attention to it as he career wound down. He was a proud man on that endeavor I just know it.
lemonade kid Posted - 06/02/2013 : 15:42:18
Thanks for sharing, kj. Fantastic experience. I'm thinking that your lonely journey was, in a way, better...alone. Like a pilgrimage...with time to meditate, before and after the show, on the wonder of Love.

I envy you. I get tears just watching the Forever Changes Concert DVD, so I can't imagine the joy of seeing Arthur LIVE!!

So glad you & your uncle were able to share your love of Arthur.

-lk
Kula John Posted - 06/02/2013 : 02:54:01
Another for me has to be the one and only time I saw Arthur perform. It was at the Bierkeller in Bristol. Anyone who knows the venue or went to that gig may tell you as a venue it's not the most 'atmospheric'.

However, for me it was like a dream come true. I believe it was 2005. I only 'discovered' Love a year previously i think, so I had completely missed the FC tour in 2003. I had no other friends at that point who appreciated, or even knew Love, so unfortunately I had to make the 2 hour journey from my home to Bristol alone. I had never been to a gig on my own before either, so I was kind of apprehensive about that, my own self-conciousness thinking I'd stick out as a weird lone guy at a gig!!

I got an early train to Bristol and spent the afternoon wandering about the city in anticipation. I found the venue, on a back street next to a carpark, completely unassuming.

I just remember it being kind of a blur. These songs that I had connected so strongly with i quite a short space of time were now being performed right in front of me. Arthur looked like the coolest man i'd ever seen up on stage. I stood in awe most of the night.

I remember a tear came to my eye during you set the scene. I couldnt believe I was hearing that song performed live right in front of me. I stayed to hear the very last seconds of the encore and then had to sprint to the train station in order to catch the last train home.

My family asked me about the gig and I told them it was great. I knew there was no point going into detail as no one I could tell would ever quite appreciate how epic it was.

However, a few weeks later my Uncle came to visit. He lives hundreds of miles away so I don't see him too often, but he has a great taste in music. I mentioned to him I had seen this gig and he was amazed. For a start he had owned FC and loved the album, but had no idea Arthur was performing. Even better just a couple of weeks later Arthur and BL were playing in Norwich, my Uncle's home town so he too got to see them play. He called me to confirm that what i had told him was correct. He absolutely loved the gig.

I bougght tickets for the next tour but sadly as we all know BL came to the UK but Arthur didnt make it. The gig was still wonderful with Rusty taking the lead and making it well worth it. However, I'm forever grateful for the fact I made myself go to Bristol that night alone to see Arthur. It's agig that will live with me forever.

For the time that I've been given's such a little while and the things that I must do consist of more than style....
Joe Morris Posted - 31/01/2013 : 19:25:39
I don't think the band was literally blown up
lemonade kid Posted - 31/01/2013 : 15:02:02
Right, rocker.

I would guess maybe a few of the better songs on Four Sail & Out Here were conceived by Arthur while still around Bryan, Johnny and the boys, from which Arthur likely benefited from the creative edge that lineup offered. Or at least that musical tension & creative amalgam still lingered a while in his mind, before Arthur totally disowned that classic Love era.

But for those anticipating an even higher level of creativity after Forever Changes, it must have been a shock to find the whole Love band had been blown up with Four Sail, replaced with hard rockers; an Arthur Lee & BAND, not the LoVE album we expected. Though a great album, it had to be disappointing!

I didn't hear Four Sail & Out Here until decades after their release so my expectations were already grounded in reality.

-lk
rocker Posted - 30/01/2013 : 17:10:24
Well I figured since Love, Da Capo, Forever Changes the band was on sort of on a Steppenwolf magic carpet ride. You know, better and better, honing their craft like all great bands do. I'd think the fourth had the potential to be "EPIPHANY" then! ...;-)...
Joe Morris Posted - 29/01/2013 : 01:57:25
Out here ain't no epiphany!
rocker Posted - 28/01/2013 : 02:31:11
hey..maybe that was the name of the record that could have come out after Four Sail!!??...
lemonade kid Posted - 25/01/2013 : 21:02:34
EPIPHANY?

-lk
rocker Posted - 25/01/2013 : 20:40:26
You know I have to say you guys were all lucky to take in the band live in those days past and really get to know them as individuals out there in the West. From my perspective it was kind of lonely then being here in the East which was very far from the band's roaming grounds. They certainly were not big here at all. Under de radar! No matter. I had the records and the music to take me through. Certainly I'm not an expert in music as such but I knew what I liked and I think I respected and took note of the talent in that band when I heard it. Of course I was rewarded like all of you with their records and especially with that great opus FC. I listened to it alot but really never really grasped its essence until there came a day when listening transformed my musical life. How to explain it? I can't. It just happened. It's like doors were opened and the big "yessssss" came through. I don't know. Is there a word for that? Well we got a site here on the band and I figure it's because everybody else went through with what I went through listening to their great music. Glad we all latched on to a big happening on this planet. For all these years, it's been a "revelation!"
lemonade kid Posted - 25/01/2013 : 15:55:37
quote:
Originally posted by janesi87

quote:
Originally posted by John9

Mine would be 7 March 2010. On what would have been Arthur Lee's 65th birthday, Love fans from across the UK assembled at an upstairs venue in the medieval heart of York. Rusty Squeezebox was there and the DJ had an amazing collection of Love albums and singles. I was able to meet for the first time both current and erstwhile members of this board..there was Dukie of course but also Tina and Lizzy...going futher back there were people like Scottish Keith and the guy from Easingwold who organises the Summer of Love festival in Kent each year. There are pictures elswhere on the internet of us all tucking into the Forever Changes birthday cake that Tina brought along. One of the most enjoyable parts of the whole experience was the opportunity that we all had to share our experiences, anecdotes and perspectives. And it really didn't matter what your bag was....Forever Changes, Four Sail....or False Start....it was all there being celebrated. I honestly cannot believe that there can have been a more sincere or affectionate tribute to the genius and humanity of Arthur Lee....or to the many band members who along the way, helped to immortalise one of the greatest canons of popular music.

A love supreme is going on inside
It's not a dream that changes with the tide
As if you were riding on velvet sheets of sound
It's nice to be

I heard that event at that time, i coundn't not meet my idols because i had a business. But one of my friends who went there, told me that it was wonderful period of time. I wish i had been there

Welcome to you, janesi87!

-lk

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page