Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2012 :  16:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birmingham Town Hall on the 1975 tour was a good night, but The Lyceum show was better.
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2012 :  19:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birmingham Town Hall on the 1975 tour was a good night, but The Lyceum show was better.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2012 :  21:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dukie - great to see you back safely from your travels. We've often reminisced about that '75 tour...and not least about George's drum solo. Love were fantastic at Liverpool....Alone Again Or, Stand Out, The Everlasting First, Seven and Seven Is, Andmoreagain, Nothing, Time Is Like A River, August, My Little Red Book, Everybody's Gotta Live, Signed DC, Who Are You, Singing Cowboy and Ezy Rider. My mind often goes back to the pure magic of that evening.

I feel like I've seen just about a million sunsets

Edited by - John9 on 27/11/2012 21:43:40
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2012 :  22:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw three shows on the 1975 tour, and met the band after the Birmingham show.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3448 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2012 :  00:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds a good set. Time is like a river
is a really good track
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2012 :  00:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another really positive memory for me is the date (I think in 2001) when the first Forever Changes expanded edition appeared. The discovery of the two additional tracks - Hummingbirds and I Do Wonder - was like striking gold. Just think what we would have given back in the 70s and 80s for those two - to me it was all like a prayer answered. I can remember this release being reviewed in our national press.

Edited by - John9 on 29/11/2012 00:53:07
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3448 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2012 :  01:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hummingbirds on the Last Wall bootleg is a little different (has a spoken word intro as I recall)

don't know if the Last Wall lp has a longer edit of the Red Telephone; on the cd it has a rather sudden end!
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2012 :  06:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Another really positive memory for me is the date (I think in 2001) when the first Forever Changes expanded edition appeared. The discovery of the two additional tracks - Hummingbirds and I Do Wonder - was like striking gold. Just think what we would have given back in the 70s and 80s for those two - to me it was all like a prayer answered. I can remember this release being reviewed in our national press.

"Wonder People" on my cd, and an amazing track that should have not have been left off the album, one of my absolute favorites.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2012 :  09:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed, Waxburn and Joe - these are points very well made. I fondly the remember the trend 10-15 years ago of releasing classic albums with bonus tracks. When Sony/Legacy treated their entire Byrds catalogue in the same way I was in heaven - it was like being transported into a lost past. Of course, Love's other Elektra albums were also re-released in expanded formats but of course with those, the extra tracks were fewer in number and less revelatory than those on Forever Changes. But in 2007 we finally got the Blue Thumb live album......a concept that had first been touted in 1970 - that for me was another landmark experience. And one that reminded me as to just how fortunate we Love fans have been during this new millenium.

Stars are in the sky and I do wonder yeah

Edited by - John9 on 29/11/2012 09:26:40
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9712 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2012 :  14:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me the best is the FC Deluxe Edition with the full Forever Changes album of alternate takes, the original FC, and all the bonus material--all in one box! Heaven!

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find money cannot be eaten.

~ Cree Prophecy

Edited by - lemonade kid on 29/11/2012 14:12:47
Go to Top of Page

Ashrob
Second Love

48 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2012 :  21:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Discovering The Castle was a wonderful find. David Housden's fanzine filled in many gaps and provided much information when it was not so readily available.

I hope he is fit and well. His contribution has been immense.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3448 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2012 :  01:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed. I mean, who else was putting out issues devoted completely to Bryan (issue 7) - who knew there was even a Bryan Maclean Band touring (his half sisters Maria Mckee's first band, apparently)

I don't hear from David - think it must've been frustrating to put out the Castle and have Arthur not allow him to use the Love logo at one point for the cover, when he was doing it for him

I'm still staggered by the size of those first 13 issues - 100 pages, massive reprints of Real to Reel reviews, articles on Forever Changes, Gethesemene (that was covered in issue 1!)

He probably still has a bunch of the later issues. Issues 14 (Bryan cover) and the earlier ones (1, 2) are probably only available as reprints
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2012 :  14:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough call on this one, but I'd have to say the Q & A section with Michael and Johnny on Freed's forum. It blew me away that the guys who played on the albums that I had marveled to back in my teens and were part of the group that attained mythical status with me were just regular fellows who took time to answer my (probably) repetitve questions. It was like getting a mini present every time I logged in and read a response (belated thank you to Johnny and Michael).

You set the scene
Go to Top of Page

Ashrob
Second Love

48 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2012 :  20:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One final one from me - this website.

Thank you Torben
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9712 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2012 :  23:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashrob

One final one from me - this website.

Thank you Torben

Hear! Hear! You got that right, Ashrob! Is there a better forum that is more open to ALL music not just the namesake of that said forum?

I Love you guys!

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find money cannot be eaten.

~ Cree Prophecy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page