Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  01:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey KD...the best part of what you asked was: are you qualified to have an opinion!?

What is totally and completely NOT debatable is that we are ALL!... HERE!... undeniably qualified to have an opinion! We love music!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 28/09/2011 01:49:22
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  14:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen!....I'm just going to say something in here (between the flying plates!!) We are all unique and love music. We have our tastes. I'm always up for differences of opinion mainly because it can help us understand a musician his music making. he heh who knows? Maybe in the year 2525 Zappa could rule the music roost and the Beatles consigned to the dust bin of music history...bah simply amateurs!........oooh a plate's a comin'.......
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  17:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In The Beatles, Stones, DOORS, Zappa, AND.... I predict LoVE, will be playing by millions still...on whatever devise is offered by the intergalactic planetary authority, AppleUniverse...but NOT Madonna, Lady Gaga or the host of after-comers as they will be called. In the year 2525 A.B. (After Beatles).....

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  17:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you know me kid...I hope FC keeps playing foreva, foreva and foreva.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Blues Singer
Second Love

Denmark
39 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  11:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Lemonade Kid:
Bryan Maclean actually mentions Zappa in the psychedelic Sounds interview:
When did you start hanging out with Zappa?

BM: Probably during the Grass Roots period before we hooked upwith Elektra. He wouldn´t have asked me to be in his band if I was signed. He wouldn´t have lured me away from a record deal.

How did you happen to bump into Zappa?

BM: "I went to huge Holywood party where they invited people from the street in order to film it. Zappa was in a band called the mothers and they were from El Monte. I stood near the band in rapture for the entire evening. I couldn´t believe my eyes. I thought he was the greatest. I think the Mothers were doing 50s and 60s music. I don´t remember how we beecame friends, but Jim Morrison and I were great friends around this time...."

Fascinating....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  21:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Blues Singer

To Lemonade Kid:

BM: Probably during the Grass Roots period before we hooked upwith Elektra. He wouldn´t have asked me to be in his band if I was signed. He wouldn´t have lured me away from a record deal.

BM: "I went to huge Holywood party where they invited people from the street in order to film it. Zappa was in a band called the mothers and they were from El Monte. I stood near the band in rapture for the entire evening. I couldn´t believe my eyes. I thought he was the greatest. I think the Mothers were doing 50s and 60s music. I don´t remember how we beecame friends, but Jim Morrison and I were great friends around this time...."

Fascinating....

Thanks, MBS. I haven't seen this interview....great to read.
I do believe that Zappa had some influence on many, maybe even Bryan, in some subconscious way. As I believe LoVE had an influence on Frank Z. How could they NOT....LoVE and co. were THE group of the Strip.

Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  15:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Blues Singer

To Lemonade Kid:

Fascinating....

Thanks, MBS. I haven't seen this interview....great to read.
I do believe that Zappa had some influence on many, maybe even Bryan, in some subconscious way. As I believe LoVE had an influence on Frank Z. How could they NOT....LoVE and co. were THE group of the Strip.

Werent the Grass Roots 1964-65? im not a Zappa expert but isnt that a bit early for the Mothers?
I hear 0 Zappa influence in Bryans material, or Love for that matter.

Edited by - waxburn on 02/10/2011 15:35:49
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  02:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"While in his teens (1950's), ZAPPA acquired a taste for percussion-based avant-garde composers such as Edgard Varèse and 1950s rhythm and blues music. He began writing classical music in high school, while at the same time playing drums in rhythm and blues bands; he later switched to electric guitar. He was a self-taught composer and performer, and his diverse musical influences led him to create music that was often impossible to categorize. His 1966 debut album with The Mothers of Invention, Freak Out!, combined songs in conventional rock and roll format with collective improvisations and studio-generated sound collages. His later albums shared this eclectic and experimental approach, irrespective of whether the fundamental format was one of rock, jazz or classical. He wrote the lyrics to all his songs, which—often humorously—reflected his iconoclastic view of established social and political processes, structures and movements. He was a strident critic of mainstream education and organized religion, and a forthright and passionate advocate for freedom of speech, self-education, political participation and the abolition of censorship...."

And he played the bicycle on Steve Allen in 1963! That predates the Grass roots!

Zappa and Allen 1963
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9P2V0_p6vE

And yes, Zappa can play guitar!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IELy5frbFeQ&feature=related

-Tom Waits

Edited by - lemonade kid on 04/10/2011 02:08:32
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  13:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't let it be forgotten that Zappa could also play a car with Mike Nesmith.

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  14:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"While in his teens (1950's), ZAPPA acquired a taste for percussion-based avant-garde composers such as Edgard Varèse and 1950s rhythm and blues music. He began writing classical music in high school, while at the same time playing drums in rhythm and blues bands; he later switched to electric guitar. He was a self-taught composer and performer, and his diverse musical influences led him to create music that was often impossible to categorize. His 1966 debut album with The Mothers of Invention, Freak Out!, combined songs in conventional rock and roll format with collective improvisations and studio-generated sound collages. His later albums shared this eclectic and experimental approach, irrespective of whether the fundamental format was one of rock, jazz or classical. He wrote the lyrics to all his songs, which—often humorously—reflected his iconoclastic view of established social and political processes, structures and movements. He was a strident critic of mainstream education and organized religion, and a forthright and passionate advocate for freedom of speech, self-education, political participation and the abolition of censorship...."

And he played the bicycle on Steve Allen in 1963! That predates the Grass roots!

Zappa and Allen 1963
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9P2V0_p6vE

And yes, Zappa can play guitar!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IELy5frbFeQ&feature=related

-Tom Waits

Yes he existed prior to 1965 but since hid debut album with the Mothers was in 1966, i was wondering if there was a Mothers of Invention in 1964, that anyone thought of as at the time as anything special. I recall he did have that studio Z but i dont know he recorded anything like Mothers did.

If there is one artist that shows NO trace of Zappa influence is Bryan, as far as the 4-5 songs he did with Love.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  18:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But they were acquaintances and sometimes you can be inspired by someone, their talent and their passion, without being directly derivative or influenced in your music.

I think it probably worked that way with Bryan and Zappa with much of the music that inspired them....from Lerner & Lowe to Edgard Varese.

Edgard Varese: The Idol of My Youth

By Frank Zappa

Article taken from Stereo Review, June 1971. pp 61-62.

I have been asked to write about Edgard Varese. I am in no way qualified to. I can't even pronounce his name right. The only reason I have agreed to is because I love his music very much, and if by some chance this article can influence more people to hear his works, it will have been worthwhile.

I was about thirteen when I read an article in Look about Sam Goody's Record Store in New York. My memory is not too clear on the details, but I recall it was praising the store's exceptional record merchandising ability. One example of brilliant salesmanship described how, through some mysterious trickery, the store actually managed to sell an album called "Ionization" (the real name of the album was "The Complete Works of Edgard Varese, Volume One"). The article described the record as a weird jumble of drums and other unpleasant sounds.

i dashed off to my local record store and asked for it. Nobody ever heard of it. I told the guy in the store what it was like. He turned away, repulsed, and mumbled solemnly, "I probably wouldn't stock it anyway... nobody here in San Diego would buy it."

I didn't give up. i was so hot to get that record I couldn't even believe it. In those days I was a rhythm-and-blues fanatic. I saved any money I could get (sometimes as much as $2 a week) so that every Friday and Saturday I could rummage through piles of old records at the Juke Box Used Record Dump (or whatever they called it) in the Maryland Hotel or the dusty corners of little record stores where they'd keep the crappy records nobody wanted to buy.

One day I was passing a hi-fi store in La Mesa. A little sign in the window announced a sale on 45's. After shuffling through their singles rack and finding a couple of Joe Houston records, I walked toward the cash register. On my way, I happened to glance into the LP bin. Sitting in the front, just a little bent at the corners, was a strange-looking black-and-white album cover. On it there was a picture of a man with gray frizzy hair. He looked like a mad scientist. I thought it was great that somebody had finally made a record of a mad scientist. i picked it up. I nearly (this is true, ladies and gentlemen) peed in my pants... THERE IT WAS! EMS 401, The Complete Works of Edgard Varese Volume I... Integrales, Density 21.5, ionization, Octandre... Rene Le Roy, the N. Y. Wind Ensemble, the Juilliard Percussion Orchestra, Frederic Waidman Conducting... liner notes by Sidney Finkelstein! WOW!

I ran over to the singles box and stuffed the Joe Houston records back in it. I fumbled around in my pocket to see how much money I had (about $3.80). I knew I had to have a lot of money to buy an album. Only old people had enough money to buy albums. I'd never bought an album before. I sneaked over to the guy at the cash register and asked him how much EMS 401 cost. "That gray one in the box? $5.95 - "

I had searched for that album for over a year, and now... disaster. I told the guy I only had $3.80. He scratched his neck. "We use that record to demonstrate the hi-fi's with, but nobody ever buys one when we use it... you can have it for $3.80 if you want it that bad."

I couldn't imagine what he meant by "demonstrating hi-fi's with it." I'd never heard a hi-fi. I only knew that old people bought them. I had a genuine lo-fi... it was a little box about 4 inches deep with imitation wrought-iron legs at each corner (sort of brass-plated) which elevated it from the table top because the speaker was in the bottom. My mother kept it near the ironing board. She used to listen to a 78 of The Little Shoemaker on it. I took off the 78 of The Little Shoemaker and, carefully moving the speed lever to 33 1/3 (it had never been there before), turned the volume all the way up and placed the all-purpose Osmium-tip needle in the lead-in spiral to Ionization. I have a nice Catholic mother who likes Roller Derby. Edgard Varese does not get her off, even to this very day. I was forbidden to play that record in the living room ever again.

In order to listen to The Album, I had to stay in my room. I would sit there every night and play it two or three times and read the liner notes over and over. I didn't understand them at all. I didn't know what timbre was. I never heard of polyphony. I just liked the music because it sounded good to me. I would force anybody who came over to listen to it. (I had heard someplace that in radio stations the guys would make chalk marks on records so they could find an exact spot, so I did the same thing to EMS 401... marked all the hot items so my friends wouldn't get bored in the quiet parts.)

I went to the library and tried to find a book about Mr. Varese. There wasn't any. The librarian told me he probably wasn't a Major Composer. She suggested I look in books about new or unpopular composers. I found a book that had a little blurb in it (with a picture of Mr. Varese as a young man, staring into the camera very seriously) saying that he would be just as happy growing grapes as being a composer.

On my fifteenth birthday my mother said she'd give me $5. I told her I would rather make a long-distance phone call. I figured Mr. Varese lived in New York because the record was made in new York (and because he was so weird, he would live in Greenwich Village). I got New York Information, and sure enough, he was in the phone book.

His wife answered. She was very nice and told me he was in Europe and to call back in a few weeks. I did. I don't remember what I said to him exactly, but it was something like: "I really dig your music." he told me he was working on a new piece called Deserts. This thrilled me quite a bit since I was living in Lancaster, California then. When you're fifteen and living in the Mojave Desert and find out that the world's greatest composer, somewhere in a secret Greenwich Village laboratory, is working on a song about your "home town" you can get pretty excited. It seemed a great tragedy that nobody in Palmdale or Rosamond would care if they ever heard it. I still think Deserts is about Lancaster, even if the liner notes on the Columbia LP say it's something more philosophical.

All through high school I searched for information about Varese and his music. One of the most exiting discoveries was in the school library in Lancaster. I found an orchestration book that had score examples in the back, and included was an excerpt from Offrandes with a lot of harp notes (and you know how groovy harp notes look). I remember fetishing the book for several weeks.

When I was eighteen I got a chance to go to the East Coast to visit my Aunt Mary in Baltimore. I had been composing for about four years then but had not heard any of it played. Aunt Mary was going to introduce me to some friend of hers (an italian gentleman) who was connected with the symphony there. I had planned on making a side trip to mysterious Greenwich Village. During my birthday telephone conversation, Mr. Varese had casually mentioned the possibility of a visit if I was ever in the area. I wrote him a letter when I got to Baltimore, just to let him know I was in the area.

I waited. My aunt introduced me to the symphony guy. She said, "This is Frankie. He writes orchestra music." The guy said, "Really? Tell me, sonny boy, what's the lowest note on a bassoon?" I said, "B flat... and also it says in the book you can get 'em up to a C or something in the treble clef." He said, "Really? You know about violin harmonics?" I said, "What's that?" He said, "See me again in a few years."

I waited some more. The letter came. I couldn't believe it. A real handwritten letter from Edgard Varese! I still have it in a little frame. In very tiny scientific-looking script it says:

VII 12th/57

Dear Mr. Zappa

I am sorry not to be able to grant your request. I am leaving for Europe next week and will be gone until next spring. I am hoping however to see you on my return. With best wishes.
Sincerely
Edgard Varese

I never got to meet Mr. Varese. But I kept looking for records of his music. When he got to be about eighty I guess a few companies gave in and recorded some of his stuff. Sort of a gesture, I imagine. I always wondered who bought them besides me. It was about seven years from the time I first heard his music till I met someone else who even knew he existed. That person was a film student at USC. He had the Columbia LP with Poeme Electronique on it. He thought it would make groovy sound effects.

I can't give you any structural insights or academic suppositions about how his music works or why I think it sounds so good. His music is completely unique. If you haven't heard it yet, go hear it. If you've already heard it and think it might make groovy sound effects, listen again. i would recommend the Chicago Symphony recording of Arcana on RCA (at full volume) or the Utah Symphony recording of Ameriques on Vanguard. Also, there is a biography by Fernand Oulette, and miniature scores are available for most of his works, published by G. Ricordi.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The way I see it is this, WB.....music is a sonic/love thing. A combination of notes or sounds that are assembled in a way that turns you on. Discussions about what is good, or what or who is genius, is pointless and cannot be proven anyway.

Whatever gets you through the night (and day!)....but it's pointless to look down on a certain artist's music. Don't listen to it. Don't think about it. Enjoy what gets us off, not what pisses us off. Life's too short.

If what turns me on, doesn't turn you on, or visa versa, that's cool. No worry...as Georgie Beatle said, "It's just stuff."

-Tom Waits

Edited by - lemonade kid on 04/10/2011 19:34:09
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  21:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

But they were acquaintances and sometimes you can be inspired by someone, their talent and their passion, without being directly derivative or influenced in your music.

I think it probably worked that way with Bryan and Zappa with much of the music that inspired them....from Lerner & Lowe to Edgard Varese.

Edgard Varese: The Idol of My Youth

By Frank Zappa

Article taken from Stereo Review, June 1971. pp 61-62.

I have been asked to write about Edgard Varese. I am in no way qualified to. I can't even pronounce his name right. The only reason I have agreed to is because I love his music very much, and if by some chance this article can influence more people to hear his works, it will have been worthwhile.

I was about thirteen when I read an article in Look about Sam Goody's Record Store in New York. My memory is not too clear on the details, but I recall it was praising the store's exceptional record merchandising ability. One example of brilliant salesmanship described how, through some mysterious trickery, the store actually managed to sell an album called "Ionization" (the real name of the album was "The Complete Works of Edgard Varese, Volume One"). The article described the record as a weird jumble of drums and other unpleasant sounds.

i dashed off to my local record store and asked for it. Nobody ever heard of it. I told the guy in the store what it was like. He turned away, repulsed, and mumbled solemnly, "I probably wouldn't stock it anyway... nobody here in San Diego would buy it."

I didn't give up. i was so hot to get that record I couldn't even believe it. In those days I was a rhythm-and-blues fanatic. I saved any money I could get (sometimes as much as $2 a week) so that every Friday and Saturday I could rummage through piles of old records at the Juke Box Used Record Dump (or whatever they called it) in the Maryland Hotel or the dusty corners of little record stores where they'd keep the crappy records nobody wanted to buy.

One day I was passing a hi-fi store in La Mesa. A little sign in the window announced a sale on 45's. After shuffling through their singles rack and finding a couple of Joe Houston records, I walked toward the cash register. On my way, I happened to glance into the LP bin. Sitting in the front, just a little bent at the corners, was a strange-looking black-and-white album cover. On it there was a picture of a man with gray frizzy hair. He looked like a mad scientist. I thought it was great that somebody had finally made a record of a mad scientist. i picked it up. I nearly (this is true, ladies and gentlemen) peed in my pants... THERE IT WAS! EMS 401, The Complete Works of Edgard Varese Volume I... Integrales, Density 21.5, ionization, Octandre... Rene Le Roy, the N. Y. Wind Ensemble, the Juilliard Percussion Orchestra, Frederic Waidman Conducting... liner notes by Sidney Finkelstein! WOW!

I ran over to the singles box and stuffed the Joe Houston records back in it. I fumbled around in my pocket to see how much money I had (about $3.80). I knew I had to have a lot of money to buy an album. Only old people had enough money to buy albums. I'd never bought an album before. I sneaked over to the guy at the cash register and asked him how much EMS 401 cost. "That gray one in the box? $5.95 - "

I had searched for that album for over a year, and now... disaster. I told the guy I only had $3.80. He scratched his neck. "We use that record to demonstrate the hi-fi's with, but nobody ever buys one when we use it... you can have it for $3.80 if you want it that bad."

I couldn't imagine what he meant by "demonstrating hi-fi's with it." I'd never heard a hi-fi. I only knew that old people bought them. I had a genuine lo-fi... it was a little box about 4 inches deep with imitation wrought-iron legs at each corner (sort of brass-plated) which elevated it from the table top because the speaker was in the bottom. My mother kept it near the ironing board. She used to listen to a 78 of The Little Shoemaker on it. I took off the 78 of The Little Shoemaker and, carefully moving the speed lever to 33 1/3 (it had never been there before), turned the volume all the way up and placed the all-purpose Osmium-tip needle in the lead-in spiral to Ionization. I have a nice Catholic mother who likes Roller Derby. Edgard Varese does not get her off, even to this very day. I was forbidden to play that record in the living room ever again.

In order to listen to The Album, I had to stay in my room. I would sit there every night and play it two or three times and read the liner notes over and over. I didn't understand them at all. I didn't know what timbre was. I never heard of polyphony. I just liked the music because it sounded good to me. I would force anybody who came over to listen to it. (I had heard someplace that in radio stations the guys would make chalk marks on records so they could find an exact spot, so I did the same thing to EMS 401... marked all the hot items so my friends wouldn't get bored in the quiet parts.)

I went to the library and tried to find a book about Mr. Varese. There wasn't any. The librarian told me he probably wasn't a Major Composer. She suggested I look in books about new or unpopular composers. I found a book that had a little blurb in it (with a picture of Mr. Varese as a young man, staring into the camera very seriously) saying that he would be just as happy growing grapes as being a composer.

On my fifteenth birthday my mother said she'd give me $5. I told her I would rather make a long-distance phone call. I figured Mr. Varese lived in New York because the record was made in new York (and because he was so weird, he would live in Greenwich Village). I got New York Information, and sure enough, he was in the phone book.

His wife answered. She was very nice and told me he was in Europe and to call back in a few weeks. I did. I don't remember what I said to him exactly, but it was something like: "I really dig your music." he told me he was working on a new piece called Deserts. This thrilled me quite a bit since I was living in Lancaster, California then. When you're fifteen and living in the Mojave Desert and find out that the world's greatest composer, somewhere in a secret Greenwich Village laboratory, is working on a song about your "home town" you can get pretty excited. It seemed a great tragedy that nobody in Palmdale or Rosamond would care if they ever heard it. I still think Deserts is about Lancaster, even if the liner notes on the Columbia LP say it's something more philosophical.

All through high school I searched for information about Varese and his music. One of the most exiting discoveries was in the school library in Lancaster. I found an orchestration book that had score examples in the back, and included was an excerpt from Offrandes with a lot of harp notes (and you know how groovy harp notes look). I remember fetishing the book for several weeks.

When I was eighteen I got a chance to go to the East Coast to visit my Aunt Mary in Baltimore. I had been composing for about four years then but had not heard any of it played. Aunt Mary was going to introduce me to some friend of hers (an italian gentleman) who was connected with the symphony there. I had planned on making a side trip to mysterious Greenwich Village. During my birthday telephone conversation, Mr. Varese had casually mentioned the possibility of a visit if I was ever in the area. I wrote him a letter when I got to Baltimore, just to let him know I was in the area.

I waited. My aunt introduced me to the symphony guy. She said, "This is Frankie. He writes orchestra music." The guy said, "Really? Tell me, sonny boy, what's the lowest note on a bassoon?" I said, "B flat... and also it says in the book you can get 'em up to a C or something in the treble clef." He said, "Really? You know about violin harmonics?" I said, "What's that?" He said, "See me again in a few years."

I waited some more. The letter came. I couldn't believe it. A real handwritten letter from Edgard Varese! I still have it in a little frame. In very tiny scientific-looking script it says:

VII 12th/57

Dear Mr. Zappa

I am sorry not to be able to grant your request. I am leaving for Europe next week and will be gone until next spring. I am hoping however to see you on my return. With best wishes.
Sincerely
Edgard Varese

I never got to meet Mr. Varese. But I kept looking for records of his music. When he got to be about eighty I guess a few companies gave in and recorded some of his stuff. Sort of a gesture, I imagine. I always wondered who bought them besides me. It was about seven years from the time I first heard his music till I met someone else who even knew he existed. That person was a film student at USC. He had the Columbia LP with Poeme Electronique on it. He thought it would make groovy sound effects.

I can't give you any structural insights or academic suppositions about how his music works or why I think it sounds so good. His music is completely unique. If you haven't heard it yet, go hear it. If you've already heard it and think it might make groovy sound effects, listen again. i would recommend the Chicago Symphony recording of Arcana on RCA (at full volume) or the Utah Symphony recording of Ameriques on Vanguard. Also, there is a biography by Fernand Oulette, and miniature scores are available for most of his works, published by G. Ricordi.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The way I see it is this, WB.....music is a sonic/love thing. A combination of notes or sounds that are assembled in a way that turns you on. Discussions about what is good, or what or who is genius, is pointless and cannot be proven anyway.

Whatever gets you through the night (and day!)....but it's pointless to look down on a certain artist's music. Don't listen to it. Don't think about it. Enjoy what gets us off, not what pisses us off. Life's too short.

If what turns me on, doesn't turn you on, or visa versa, that's cool. No worry...as Georgie Beatle said, "It's just stuff."

-Tom Waits

i didt question Mr Zappas greatness, he is without doubt an icon. he could have been President of czechoslovakia, and im told they have statutes of him there. the plastic people of the universe used to hum to his songs. I think they even have a Zappastock type of festival over there.
I just wondered whether Bryan was influenced by him. Bryans songs seem far far away from Zappaland, sonically speacking. Also wondered if the Mothers were active in 1964.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  21:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! I thought the Grass Roots were the first band to play the bicycle live on Steve Allen

Oh, Well. Perhaps Steve played "Hows your sister?" at some time also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-trLWRvnJY

SCHMOCK SCHMOCK!!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  21:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I got diverted...

Zappa was active in the early 60's ('60-64) often collaborating with Ray Collins. Zappa started a power trio in 1964 called The Muthers. The Mothers came to be in 1965.

During the early 1960s, Zappa wrote and produced songs for other local artists, often working with singer-songwriter Ray Collins and producer Paul Buff. Their "Memories of El Monte" was recorded by The Penguins, although only Cleve Duncan of the original group was featured. Buff owned the small Pal Recording Studio in Cucamonga, which included a unique five-track tape recorder he had built. At that time, only a handful of the most sophisticated commercial studios had multi-track facilities; the industry standard for smaller studios was still mono or two-track. Although none of the recordings from the period achieved major commercial success, Zappa earned enough money to allow him to stage a concert of his orchestral music in 1963 and to broadcast and record it. He appeared on Steve Allen's syndicated late night show the same year, in which he played a bicycle as a musical instrument. With Captain Beefheart, Zappa recorded some songs under the name of The Soots. They were rejected by Dot Records for having "no commercial potential", a verdict Zappa subsequently quoted on the sleeve of Freak Out!

In 1964, after his marriage started to break up, he moved into the Pal studio and began routinely working 12 hours or more per day recording and experimenting with overdubbing and audio tape manipulation. This set a work pattern that endured for most of his life. Aided by his income from film composing, Zappa took over the studio from Paul Buff, who was now working with Art Laboe at Original Sound. It was renamed Studio Z. Studio Z was rarely booked for recordings by other musicians. Instead, friends moved in, notably James "Motorhead" Sherwood. Zappa started performing as guitarist with a power trio, The Muthers, in local bars in order to support himself.

The "Brain Police" arrest Zappa...

An article in the local press describing Zappa as "the Movie King of Cucamonga" prompted the local police to suspect that he was making pornographic films. In March 1965, Zappa was approached by a vice squad undercover officer, and accepted an offer of $100 to produce a suggestive audio tape for an alleged stag party. Zappa and a female friend recorded a faked erotic episode. When Zappa was about to hand over the tape, he was arrested, and the police stripped the studio of all recorded material. The press was tipped off beforehand, and next day's The Daily Report wrote that "Vice Squad investigators stilled the tape recorders of a free-swinging, a-go-go film and recording studio here Friday and arrested a self-styled movie producer". Zappa was charged with "conspiracy to commit pornography". This felony charge was reduced and he was sentenced to six months in jail on a misdemeanor, with all but ten days suspended. His brief imprisonment left a permanent mark, and was key in the formation of his anti-authoritarian stance. Zappa lost several recordings made at Studio Z in the process, as the police only returned 30 out of 80 hours of tape seized. Eventually, he could no longer afford to pay the rent on the studio and was evicted. Zappa managed to recover some of his possessions before the studio was torn down in 1966.

The Mothers Of Invention

In 1965, Zappa was approached by Ray Collins who asked him to take over as the guitarist in local R&B band The Soul Giants, following a fight between Collins and the group's original guitarist. Zappa accepted, and soon he assumed leadership and the role as co-lead singer (even though he never considered himself a singer). He convinced the other members that they should play his music to increase the chances of getting a record contract. The band was renamed The Mothers, coincidentally on Mother's Day. The group increased their bookings after beginning an association with manager Herb Cohen, while they gradually gained attention on the burgeoning Los Angeles underground music scene. In early 1966, they were spotted by leading record producer Tom Wilson when playing "Trouble Every Day", a song about the Watts Riots. Wilson had earned acclaim as the producer for singer-songwriter Bob Dylan and the folk-rock act Simon & Garfunkel, and was notable as one of the few African Americans working as a major label pop music producer at this time.

Wilson signed The Mothers to the Verve Records division of MGM Records, which had built up a strong reputation in the music industry for its releases of modern jazz recordings in the 1940s and 1950s, but was attempting to diversify into pop and rock audiences. Verve insisted that the band officially re-title themselves "The Mothers of Invention" because "Mother", in slang terminology, was short for "mother****er" — a term that apart from its profane meanings can denote a skilled musician.
-wiki

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  14:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I'd be curious as to how his contemporaries reacted to him. Was he held in good stead? I always thought he had idea which weren't mainstream even for the "rock" world at the time. He was certainly different in his approach to music.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page