Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  20:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lemonade Kid

Great job in bringing to light some of Frank Zappa's background and stories. I don't honestly think there is much interest here from some of the Love fans. I was going to discuss Frank's Antelope Valley band "The Soul Giants", but all of this is easily obtained in any number of books on Frank. There are some hilarious stories of he and Captain Beefheart borrowing (Don's father) his Helms Bakery Truck in Lancaster, cruising for chicks and eating pineapple rolls. The funny thing is Frank's description of the Maryland Hotel is a place that 10-15 years later I discovered, it was called Arcade Music. with 45 priced at 3 for a buck, albums were 50 cents to 1.99. Besides the juke box records, radio station promo copies were massive. It was there that I discovered that strange 45 with the Herb Alpert trumpet on an Elektra promo 45, later I also purchased Forever Changes there

Meanwhile I spent some time in Lancaster CA years ago, in a small coffee shop at the Antelope Valley Inn I met a friend of mine who had just spent some time with John French (Drumbo) from Beef's Magic Band. He had some great stories about Don and Frank, suddenly an waitress approached us, she was maybe 60 and very much a grand mother type). She had overheard us talking about Frank, she recounted that she and Frank had dated in high school, and some of his early music. She was still upset over his passing (which had happened the year before). What I was amazed by is she told me she had a huge collection of his albums.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  22:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

You know I'd be curious as to how his contemporaries reacted to him. Was he held in good stead? I always thought he had idea which weren't mainstream even for the "rock" world at the time. He was certainly different in his approach to music.

Most are scared to talk about him due to the situation with the estate.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  22:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZFarrar

Lemonade Kid

Great job in bringing to light some of Frank Zappa's background and stories. I don't honestly think there is much interest here from some of the Love fans. I was going to discuss Frank's Antelope Valley band "The Soul Giants", but all of this is easily obtained in any number of books on Frank. There are some hilarious stories of he and Captain Beefheart borrowing (Don's father) his Helms Bakery Truck in Lancaster, cruising for chicks and eating pineapple rolls. The funny thing is Frank's description of the Maryland Hotel is a place that 10-15 years later I discovered, it was called Arcade Music. with 45 priced at 3 for a buck, albums were 50 cents to 1.99. Besides the juke box records, radio station promo copies were massive. It was there that I discovered that strange 45 with the Herb Alpert trumpet on an Elektra promo 45, later I also purchased Forever Changes there

Meanwhile I spent some time in Lancaster CA years ago, in a small coffee shop at the Antelope Valley Inn I met a friend of mine who had just spent some time with John French (Drumbo) from Beef's Magic Band. He had some great stories about Don and Frank, suddenly an waitress approached us, she was maybe 60 and very much a grand mother type). She had overheard us talking about Frank, she recounted that she and Frank had dated in high school, and some of his early music. She was still upset over his passing (which had happened the year before). What I was amazed by is she told me she had a huge collection of his albums.

No..keep the stories coming. There are actually many Zappa fans here...they are just not as vocal as some of us....pro & con.

But that's ok. So keep the Zappa stuff coming, please. There are more closet Zappa fans EVERYWHERE than we realize!! Especially in the Boomer generation that are approaching retirement. I wonder how many of those gray haired joggers or golfers have "Freak Out!" playing in their earbuds?! More than some would like to imagine at their safe little posh golf resorts!

I was listening to some Steely Dan and I swear I hear Zappa in some of those jazz arrangements with all those abrupt time signature changes!

Your Gold Teeth...especially in the intro with unusual time sigs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3BjjpZedl8

Green Earring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Z4HSer4uw

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  22:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets do the taster!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  14:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I didn't know about that. Not too good I'd think, eh?
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  16:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steely Dan does have a bit of a Zappa flavor or maybe Zappa was influenced by Steely Dan.
I would go with the latter but i could be wrong, their studio sound back in the 80s was very influential.
interesting because i know this band that started being an indie band, they were doing reasonably well, then they started listening to
Zappa and copping his stuff for their songs. People said they sounded like Steely Dan.
Irregardless as soon as they started doing the Zappa influenced material they began losing gigs. Soon they couldnt get arrested. They dont exist anymore.

Zappa i suppose, is sort of the Shecky Greene of music. If you like that sort of thing.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  16:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

no not so good, from what i understand they want no competition against Zappa plays Zappa. never seen them and doubt i ever will.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  18:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

quote:

Steely Dan does have a bit of a Zappa flavor or maybe Zappa was influenced by Steely Dan.
I would go with the latter but i could be wrong, their studio sound back in the 80s was very influential.
interesting because i know this band that started being an indie band, they were doing reasonably well, then they started listening to
Zappa and copping his stuff for their songs. People said they sounded like Steely Dan.
Irregardless as soon as they started doing the Zappa influenced material they began losing gigs. Soon they couldnt get arrested. They dont exist anymore.

Zappa I suppose, is sort of the Shecky Greene of music. If you like that sort of thing.

Zappa and Steely Dan were on a parallel, but staggered path (Zappa started ten years earlier-Zappa was a forties kid, Becker and Fagen 1950's kids), both very influenced by jazz artists such as Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Rollins, with pop influences like the Turtles and Lovin' Spoonful, Dylan....I doubt Zappa was influenced directly by "Dan" as they didn't get going until the early 70's and Zappa was moving through his music at a fast pace in the early 60's.

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  19:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

quote:

Zappa I suppose, is sort of the Shecky Greene of music. If you like that sort of thing.

Zappa and Steely Dan were on a parallel, but staggered path (Zappa started ten years earlier-Zappa was a forties kid, Becker and Fagen 1950's kids), both very influenced by jazz artists such as Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Rollins, with pop influences like the Turtles and Lovin' Spoonful, Dylan....I doubt Zappa was influenced directly by "Dan" as they didn't get going until the early 70's and Zappa was moving through his music at a fast pace in the early 60's.

-Tom Waits

the Zappa stuff that sounds eerily like the Dan is the apres 1960s stuff, i dont think his 60s stuff showed the Dan influence. My memory may be off as im not the biggest Dan fan. i like that Cuervo Gold song tho. they are a bit too cold, for my taste.
I also am not a regular listener of Zappas 60s work.

Edited by - waxburn on 06/10/2011 19:44:06
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  15:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hows Zappas early films, the ones he got arrested for?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page