Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  18:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZFarrar

[

_____________________________________________________________________-
Over-rated, a term used in your case for music that is beyond your scope or understanding. Better keep your comments limited to something you have actual knowledge of. Zappa was a genius.

[/quote]

KD: "Music that is beyond my scope of understaning"?

Don't tell me to keep my comments limited to anything my friend. I've been a professional musican, producer and songwriter now for close to 30 years and have worked with people you could only dream about.

How many record deals, or high profile tours have you worked lately ?
I am - just like anyone else here - entitled to my opinions. Sounds like I've hit a nerve with you - good ! Get over it.

I stand by my opinions. When was the last time you, me or anyone around here even heard FZ on the radio ? Nuff said !

"Too high brow for the low brows, and too low brow for the high brows" seems pretty apt to me !

I stand by my opinions on this overrated "classical composer".

KD
Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  21:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KD - We disagree, the problem for you is the critics are on my side, not yours. Zappa is a musical icon, and who are you?. Also, according to you it's important when the last time Frank Zappa was played on the radio?. Can you perhaps enlighten us with how that equals musical excellence?. Arthur Lee & Love received close to no commercial air play, in case you forgot that. While Lady Ga Ga, James Blunt. & old classic rock war horses like REO Speedwagon, Heart, & Journey still are played to death on the radio. Your point is?

You also played the "I'm an important player in the music industry card" not me. Seriously, am I supposed to be impressed with this vague resume of yours?. You could be an old roadie or go-fer. I have a friend in the catering business in LA who has worked with people you could only dream of as well. I am in the industry as well, please list your credits since you brought them up or go away. You might want to utilize spell-check, that is when you're not too busy signing autographs or cashing all those royalty checks. C'mon KD I am just waiting to hear all your credits. Oh one of your 68 year old groupies just texted you, did she? Check mate.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  21:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

KD - We disagree, the problem for you is the critics are on my side, not yours. Zappa is a musical icon, and who are you?. Also, according to you it's important when the last time Frank Zappa was played on the radio?. Can you perhaps enlighten us with how that equals musical excellence?. Arthur Lee & Love received close to no commercial air play, in case you forgot that. While Lady Ga Ga, James Blunt. & old classic rock war horses like REO Speedwagon, Heart, & Journey still are played to death on the radio. Your point is?

You also played the "I'm an important player in the music industry card" not me. Seriously, am I supposed to be impressed with this vague resume of yours?. You could be an old roadie or go-fer. I have a friend in the catering business in LA who has worked with people you could only dream of as well. I am in the industry as well, please list your credits since you brought them up or go away. You might want to utilize spell-check, that is when you're not too busy signing autographs or cashing all those royalty checks. C'mon KD I am just waiting to hear all your credits. Oh one of your 68 year old groupies just texted you, did she? Check mate.

KD: "Critics are on my side" ? Re-read my post. I'm quoting from the EDITORS OF UNCUT ! Ever heard of them ? Probably 1 of the top 3 music magazines in the world. Like it or not, their opinions do hold some weight.

You should have just left if at "we disagree", and not made it personal. - Sounds to me like you're taking it really personally.
Too bad for you.

As far as your:

"You also played the "I'm an important player in the music industry card" not me." goes, you're the one that originally commented about "Music that is beyond my scope of understaning"?

The fact is, you don't know anything about me or "music that I do or don't understand" - I never claimed to be anything but was simply responding to your ill informed position and insulting comments. The
only thing we all know is that you like FZ and me and editors of UNCUT (and several other publications for that matter !) don't !

Again, get over it ! It's a big cruel world out there kid, not everyone is going to agree with your positions.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  21:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

KD - Can you perhaps enlighten us with how that equals musical excellence?.

You also played the "I'm an important player in the music industry card" not me. Seriously, am I supposed to be impressed with this vague resume of yours?. I am in the industry as well, please list your credits since you brought them up or go away.

KD: Again, you don't know anything about me, or probably anyone else on this list for that matter.

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours" as the saying goes.
Just off the top of my head I'll start with:

Arthur Lee (how appropriate !)
Noel Redding
Mick Avery
Dave Clarke
The Ophelias
Jerry Goodman

Members of the following groups:

Santana
Jefferson Starship
Weather Report
The Tubes
Todd Rundgren
The Miles Davis Group
The Kinks
Thin Lizzy
The Grateful Dead
Ricardo Scales
The Ponsonby DCs

and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. I could go
on, but I think you get the idea.......

Ball's is your court now ZF !

Edited by - kdion11 on 26/09/2011 21:41:04
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  11:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To the best of my knowledge, Frank Zappa was last heard on the radio in the UK just four days ago.....on BBC Radio Four's Desert Island Discs. The guest was much loved TV actor, Martin Clunes and a Frank Zappa song was one of his eight choices. Throughout the programme he kept alluding to how he would in any case try to sneak the collected works of Frank Zappa on to the island.....in defiance of the strict rules of the programme!

Earlier in the week on BBC's Today Programme was this item that I posted in another forum:

http://love.torbenskott.dk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3542

I don't know about the USA, but Frank certainly had more airplay and media exposure over here than did Arthur...this was certainly the case until his untimely death in 1993. From 2002, of course, Arthur had a higher profile and wider appreciation than he can ever have dreamt of. But of course, as has been said, neither of these points has any real significance. Unfriendly comments do depress me so. If we love an artist's work, then let's celebrate it....like minded people can then join in. Surely, that is what this forum is really about.

Edited by - John9 on 27/09/2011 11:27:26
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  17:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey John, thanks

....surely this is a forum about our LoVE of music.....if we feel differently about certain artists, to me, it's enough to say, "I don't care for them". Time to count to ten, and shake hands. Our love of Love should surely make us all friends here and that is enough.

No one is a winner here.

It's all relative--e.g. I don't like Lady Gaga, but I saw the recent acoustic set she did on TV and even I can admit she has fine talent.

Let's not get into another "C(former member)" style battle.....I thought we purged that kind of bad vibe long ago.

Some like Zappa - some don't. Surely there is no debate about his immense talent, just whether you like what he did with it.

(about professional critics and their reviews---we think they are GREAT critics when we agree; they become silly, bitter, rock-star-wanna-be's when we don't...I say leave the critics to debate among themselves. I make the mistake of quoting polls and lists as gospel, too, but really they are just fodder for debate....but not hate).

KD, we have been good friends here for a long time.....all we can do let it go man....it's cool. Our points have been made.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 27/09/2011 17:22:59
Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  18:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay KD, 10 years at Warner Bros, also spent time with SBK Records, Sony Universal,& a ton of small labels. Impressive list of artists on your Resume': but for some of the bands if you were a full-time member you have already passed on years ago, as the timeliness are quite revealing. Your profile matched one living gentlemen somewhat. But that would mean you are on the road right now, is that correct? Good for you.

I don't care what you think about Zappa, but this is hardly the forum to bash him. It would be like me attacking Neil Young or Jimi Hendrix. A much better venue would be You Tube, they encourage that sort of thing.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  20:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Hey John, thanks

....surely this is a forum about our LoVE of music.....if we feel differently about certain artists, to me, it's enough to say, "I don't care for them". Time to count to ten, and shake hands. Our love of Love should surely make us all friends here and that is enough.

No one is a winner here.

It's all relative--e.g. I don't like Lady Gaga, but I saw the recent acoustic set she did on TV and even I can admit she has fine talent.

Let's not get into another "C(former member)" style battle.....I thought we purged that kind of bad vibe long ago.

Some like Zappa - some don't. Surely there is no debate about his immense talent, just whether you like what he did with it.

(about professional critics and their reviews---we think they are GREAT critics when we agree; they become silly, bitter, rock-star-wanna-be's when we don't...I say leave the critics to debate among themselves. I make the mistake of quoting polls and lists as gospel, too, but really they are just fodder for debate....but not hate).

KD, we have been good friends here for a long time.....all we can do let it go man....it's cool. Our points have been made.

Lady Gaga is not so bad. Zappa used to satirize everyobody.
Nothing bad can be said about him? ok (he did have to look at his fingers when he played the guitar but thats just an observation not a knock.).
Anyone here work for the Okeh label back in day?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  21:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of questionable talent...B.B. King can't sing and play guitar at the same time!

Wink wink....please, I'm kidding about his talent!!!
But he really can't! I guess Lucille demands his full attention!!

Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  22:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speaking of questionable talent...B.B. King can't sing and play guitar at the same time!

the late John Lee Hooker could.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  22:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

quote:

the late John Lee Hooker could.

Damn..could he ever!!!!

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  22:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Zappa

I don't know if he had any opinions about FC but I'd think he and arthur had the same kind of attitude to what was going on at the time and what Arthur was writing about on that record. They were pretty original guys and followed different drumemrs. They didn't follow along like sheep you know?
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  00:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few comments on this thread:

"You had to be there" This comment goes a long way, very long, I mean over rivers and mountains. It means its part of your psyche and soul and will always remain there. You have to respect this even if you despise the music.

There is nothing wrong with a heated argument or heated difference of opinion. Sometimes its needed to get more participation. But there is no excuse for personal attack.

I really don't know much about Lumpy Gravy, but I do know who Wavy Gravy is.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  01:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey John, thanks

No one is a winner here.

KD: Thanks LK, I appreciate it. All I remember is giving my opinion about a musician I've never much cared for. Nothing wrong with giving an opinion around here is there ?

Or is there ? See you guys later. This music and topic are
obviously beyond my scope of understanding right ? 30 years in the music business leaves me unqualified to have an opinion obviously.

RIP Arthur, Jimi and Noel !

Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  01:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't care what you think about Zappa, but this is hardly the forum to bash him. It would be like me attacking Neil Young or Jimi Hendrix. A much better venue would be You Tube, they encourage that sort of thing.

KD: "You don't care what I think about Zappa ?"

You obviously did and took it all quite personally. If people are posting about Zappa then this obviously is the forum to bash him, love him, ignore him whatever.

And as this is a public forum you can use it to bash Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix or The Man on the Moon for all I care. Just not me !

See you later !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page