Page: of 12

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  17:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

lk, I agree with your angst about the negative approach to Michael's book. A carousel ride is fun but it can also make you dizzy sometimes. The book is a piece of MICHAEL'S LIFE; so truthful it hurts. Get over it people, like it or not that's the way it was. It's not about "us," what we got was fingers on fretboards and hands on sticks. Being in a band. . . can you feel that? Now sing.

It's all the same day.

Thanks LeeRob....

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  21:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by lemonade kid

It's hard for me to figure out why some here have trouble with a member of Love, who was a part of Love for the two most important Love albums, writing a book about his time with Love (during, before and after).

Michael was not merely a session guy who sat in a couple of times. He crafted his part in the music, he lived with Love members, he toured with Love, he played and "played around" with Love...and experienced the ups and downs of Love.

Doesn't that qualify ?

Jesus, guys.... Johnny was angry with Arthur; Kenny was angry with Arthur; Bryan was angry with Arthur; Snoopy STILL seems angry with Arthur...so Arthur could piss people off. He had a talent for it. They all loved Arthur too.

Lay off Michael, please. So he wrote about what he knew?!! He wasn't in it to write a biography of Arthur. He was in it to relate what he hoped fans would be interested in...his time with Arthur and Love....his RECOLLECTIONS. ...not gospel!

So you are pissed because he wanted his due?, and later thought a book would be cool?... and if it made money?...cool. He did not get rich from the book sales nor from the settlement.

Geeze, would you be pissed if the members of Baby Lem told of how Arthur cheated them out of money and treated them like crap? In a book? Right.

Let it be. It is a good story about a great time that he was a part of... the greatest time in rock music history with a seminal band. He wasn't out to settle a score. He was out to put to rest his personal demons and put it all in its place in his life. Michael told me it was in his head so long, the only relief was to finally put it on paper. Thank you, Michael!

Ok...I'm done...stick a fork in me.

That's one of the things that make following the music, and travails of the group know as LOVE, such a fascinating undertaking. Every one of us view them, through the prism of our own experience. The group could be a metaphor for life itself.... the good, the bad, and the what-ifs. There are so many "what-ifs" one could write a book about what might have been!

If this were a movie, everything would come full circle at the end, and all would be revealed.... But as it stands "There will always be some people here to wonder why....??"

GMM
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  00:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone read the new edition?
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  02:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

if anyone wants to post their favorite AL story from PC here, i will happy to interpret it as to its real meaning. Its a bit like the BIBLE and the parables.

KD: And you're Moses coming down from the Mountain Top to enlighten
us "little people" ? Oh brother. Now I've heard everything.

Thats right Im willing to interpret. Put a story ill tell you the scoop on it.
Nobody has to beleive, its just my interpretation. You may choose to go with the ' i walked out of the neil diamond tour, music was no good' version.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  02:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

I figured Mike would still get his bit (ie, royalties) just from playing on the records

Am I wrong?

Did Michael ever do anything post Love? well, besides Neil Diamond?

KD : Unless anyone has a FULL copy of the complete LOVE Contract
with Elektra, all of this is conjecture. As MSW joined LOVE after the
group had signed to Elektra, he may not have gotten the same deal and rights as the others.

We are just going on his own 'testimony' written up in his own hand.
He said he got his 1%. He has the FULL copy, maybe he could add to the revised edition.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  02:50:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

It's hard for me to figure out why some here have trouble with a member of Love, who was a part of Love for the two most important Love albums, writing a book about his time with Love (during, before and after).

Michael was not merely a session guy who sat in a couple of times. He crafted his part in the music, he lived with Love members, he toured with Love, he played and "played around" with Love...and experienced the ups and downs of Love.

Doesn't that qualify ?

Jesus, guys.... Johnny was angry with Arthur; Kenny was angry with Arthur; Bryan was angry with Arthur; Snoopy STILL seems angry with Arthur...so Arthur could piss people off. He had a talent for it. They all loved Arthur too.

Lay off Michael, please. So he wrote about what he knew?!! He wasn't in it to write a biography of Arthur. He was in it to relate what he hoped fans would be interested in...his time with Arthur and Love....his RECOLLECTIONS. ...not gospel!

So you are pissed because he wanted his due?, and later thought a book would be cool?... and if it made money?...cool. He did not get rich from the book sales nor from the settlement.

Geeze, would you be pissed if the members of Baby Lem told of how Arthur cheated them out of money and treated them like crap? In a book? Right.

Let it be. It is a good story about a great time that he was a part of... the greatest time in rock music history with a seminal band. He wasn't out to settle a score. He was out to put to rest his personal demons and put it all in its place in his life. Michael told me it was in his head so long, the only relief was to finally put it on paper. Thank you, Michael!

Ok...I'm done...stick a fork in me.

Nobody is pissed. Its not like im sitting in a tub with half an inch of water thinking im going to drown. They all can write their whiny books until their arms fall off.

Edited by - waxburn on 25/11/2010 02:55:42
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  02:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

would Snoopy not be on the contract with Elektra? he was in the original group and not Conka

Probably Arthur doing, Im sure none of the other members approved.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  02:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:

would Snoopy not be on the contract with Elektra? he was in the original group and not Conka

Ya I think so...at least the is how it sounded in the doc.

By making the group larger they got a larger royalty rate. But since Conka was not in the band they kept his share. SOP.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  02:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

anyone read the new edition?

No but hope to check it out soon as its available.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  03:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the Randle book is to be called In The Court of King Arthur? isn't it due next year?

I'm just surprised that people think of Arthur as being loved. Just because a person can write good songs doesn't mean he was looked at with affection. I mean, Michael had to sue the man to prove a point, Echols & Maclean both fell out with the man over money issues, and Snoopy wouldn't tour with Love again because he was concerned with who was holding the cash

I guess the problem is that Love never really had a manager? Arthur was not to be trusted, and history does bear out the fact that he saw very well financially from Love

Whether this is due to Love owning their own songs.. But certainly Bryan didn't see money from his songs, clearly, even when his songs were being covered. Did he see any money from the Damned?

So its really of no surprise that people like Snoopy would want to put Love behind them, and Bryan, Johnny, Michael got out of music altogether, probably because they had such a trying time of it. None of them were rich from being in Love, and its doubtful they saw any share of royalties from record sales

I mean, Forever Changes DID stay in print, and sell, although its not clear whether it ever saw gold record sales

Don't think Arthur was much loved by the people he worked with. Perhaps bands like Lilac Time would play the one off live gig with Arthur for free, but people who had anything to do with Arthur knew what they were dealing with and it was a BUSINESS matter (Baby Lemonade didn't play gigs with Arthur for free, even when Arthur was insulting band members as Chinks or harassing them over the phone

and of course so many people got ripped off by Arthur financially. Michael, Distortions, the list is endless

I dont know if AL ripped off anyone or not. I do now that MSW was not one of them. He took his grievances with AL to court, and came to settle with AL. He settled out of his own volition, so i dont know that he can claim being ripped off. He didnt have to settle, he could have taken the case all the way to the Supreme Court.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  03:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

lk, I agree with your angst about the negative approach to Michael's book. A carousel ride is fun but it can also make you dizzy sometimes. The book is a piece of MICHAEL'S LIFE; so truthful it hurts. Get over it people, like it or not that's the way it was. It's not about "us," what we got was fingers on fretboards and hands on sticks. Being in a band. . . can you feel that? Now sing.

It's all the same day.

Frankly, I dont see any any angst toward MSW book. Outside of yours truly, i havent read any negativity towards it at all, everyone seems to have a favorable attitude towards it.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  03:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's all the same day.

IN THE COURT OF KING ARTHUR? Is that a fact or are you trying to rise the angst level?

I cant wait to interpret that puppy.
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  03:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The truth of the matter is, Arthur failed to show-up in Court so Michael and Tjay were granted a Judgment by default.

GMM
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  03:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

The truth of the matter is, Arthur failed to show-up in Court so Michael and Tjay were granted a Judgment by default.

GMM

Nothing wrong with a new interpretation.
In Buffalos book, let me refer you to page 207:
MSW: "In the end I won. I got a 10,000 dollar SETTLEMENT. The album(FC) still sells but I got what I wanted. I just wanted to win."
ive heard of sore losers but never of sore winners.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  03:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael just wanted to stick it to Arthur for screwing him around

I mean, clearly the album paid itself off, it only cost a few thousand to record it, didn't it?

And Arthur saying that they still owed money for it .. yeah right!

Looking forward to the Randle book whenever its published of course. The new book by Keith Richards (Life) is worth reading in the meantime. Uproarious stuff, with the audio book read by Keith and Johnny Depp

Happy Thanksgiving to all - gobble gobble JLO!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page