Page: of 12

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  21:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Michael wasn't happy. Johnny wasn't happy. Bryan wasn't happy. The royalty issue was justifiably tense. Michael just happened to write a book.

You are right, Joe...PC is an account of a musician's rise in rock fame, and later, fall, into drugs. Arthur and company just happened to be a part of it.

He wasnt happy and he sued and got his money. Now he goes out and makes more money writing a book on Arthur. Dont know he could publish a book about life withe the SOA.

there were no royalties for many years. the albums tanked commercially. They received advances,that were to be deducted from the royalties. but when the money ran out
the party ran out. AL gave MSW the money so he would get him out of his hair.
Years later with the reissues sales have picked up, but hes out since he settled. he wants his cake and eat it too.

Edited by - waxburn on 13/11/2010 02:15:52
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  21:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

I don't know man, I doubt Michael was happy about Arthur giving him the runaround about the royalties and saying they were going towards the costs for the album

Was it a happy experience for him? Dunno. The book is a reason why NOT to do drugs

Drugs would seem to have been why the band broke up. Forever Changes was recorded (just BARELY!)
and with pointed lines like "I keep on building my hopes, you keep on knocking them down" ...

I forget whether that (Your mind and we single) came out before Arthur abandoned them on tour

I was always surprised they didn't just do that gig WITHOUT Arthur, actually, but maybe the group was too into scoring heroine by that point? At least thats how it seemed when they were in NY

if anyone wants to post their favorite AL story from PC here, i will happy to interpret it as to its real meaning. Its a bit like the BIBLE and the parables.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  22:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured Mike would still get his bit (ie, royalties) just from playing on the records

Am I wrong?

Did Michael ever do anything post Love? well, besides Neil Diamond?
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  22:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I figured Mike would still get his bit (ie, royalties) just from playing on the records

Am I wrong?

They all did sessions, thats the word on the steet.

No he doesnt receive any money from any royalties, he sued Arthur back in the day(which he failed to mention in his book but admitted in the new book), and Arthur settled with him for ten grand, for past and future royalties, as stated in the new book. The book discusses the fact that all the bandmemeber signed papers allowing all advances, royalties etc to be paid directly to AL. Like the book said that became a bone of contention.

He never thought that there would be LOVE Renaissance.

Edited by - waxburn on 13/11/2010 02:59:53
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  23:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weird. He DOES have a co write on the wretched "Revelation", so its odd.

Its cool the band wanted to own its own publishing, but it doesn't seem to have done many of the band members (Mike, Tjay) too much good. Snoopy talks about never having seen any money from when he was in the group
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2010 :  01:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Weird. He DOES have a co write on the wretched "Revelation", so its odd.

Its cool the band wanted to own its own publishing, but it doesn't seem to have done many of the band members (Mike, Tjay) too much good. Snoopy talks about never having seen any money from when he was in the group

Snoopy was never on the recording contract, never will receive any royalties.
everyone got a co write on Revelation, its a piece that was made up onstage i suppose,but otherwise the publishing went to Bryan and Arthur who wrote most of the songs. Bryan took back his catalog from Grass Roots which is discussed in the book.

Electra probably never paid out any royalties until the 80s or 90s, they paid AL advances that were recoupable, and AL would give the band members their portion. So the issue would be if AL paid out fairly or not. Studio costs are also deductable against royalty payments etc. But the Love albums were in the red for a long time.
so the real money for AL was in the publishing, as he wrote the songs along with Bryan who had the biggest moneymaker of all with Alone Again.

Edited by - waxburn on 13/11/2010 02:05:34
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  22:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

if anyone wants to post their favorite AL story from PC here, i will happy to interpret it as to its real meaning. Its a bit like the BIBLE and the parables.

KD: And you're Moses coming down from the Mountain Top to enlighten
us "little people" ? Oh brother. Now I've heard everything.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  22:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Am I wrong?

KD : Unless anyone has a FULL copy of the complete LOVE Contract
with Elektra, all of this is conjecture. As MSW joined LOVE after the
group had signed to Elektra, he may not have gotten the same deal and rights as the others.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  22:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

He wasnt happy and he sued and got his money. Now he goes out and makes more money writing a book on Arthur. Dont know he could publish a book about life withe the SOA.
[/quote]

KD: Of course - anyone can write a book about ANYONE or ANYTHING,
without the subject's permission. If you lie or slander you can
be dragged into court to account for yourself.

Free the books !
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  23:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's hard for me to figure out why some here have trouble with a member of Love, who was a part of Love for the two most important Love albums, writing a book about his time with Love (during, before and after).

Michael was not merely a session guy who sat in a couple of times. He crafted his part in the music, he lived with Love members, he toured with Love, he played and "played around" with Love...and experienced the ups and downs of Love.

Doesn't that qualify ?

Jesus, guys.... Johnny was angry with Arthur; Kenny was angry with Arthur; Bryan was angry with Arthur; Snoopy STILL seems angry with Arthur...so Arthur could piss people off. He had a talent for it. They all loved Arthur too.

Lay off Michael, please. So he wrote about what he knew?!! He wasn't in it to write a biography of Arthur. He was in it to relate what he hoped fans would be interested in...his time with Arthur and Love....his RECOLLECTIONS. ...not gospel!

So you are pissed because he wanted his due?, and later thought a book would be cool?... and if it made money?...cool. He did not get rich from the book sales nor from the settlement.

Geeze, would you be pissed if the members of Baby Lem told of how Arthur cheated them out of money and treated them like crap? In a book? Right.

Let it be. It is a good story about a great time that he was a part of... the greatest time in rock music history with a seminal band. He wasn't out to settle a score. He was out to put to rest his personal demons and put it all in its place in his life. Michael told me it was in his head so long, the only relief was to finally put it on paper. Thank you, Michael!

Ok...I'm done...stick a fork in me.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 23/11/2010 23:27:14
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  01:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would Snoopy not be on the contract with Elektra? he was in the original group and not Conka
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  01:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
isn't Randle doing a book of his own on his time with Love?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  06:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

would Snoopy not be on the contract with Elektra? he was in the original group and not Conka

Ya I think so...at least the is how it sounded in the doc.

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  16:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Randle book is to be called In The Court of King Arthur? isn't it due next year?

I'm just surprised that people think of Arthur as being loved. Just because a person can write good songs doesn't mean he was looked at with affection. I mean, Michael had to sue the man to prove a point, Echols & Maclean both fell out with the man over money issues, and Snoopy wouldn't tour with Love again because he was concerned with who was holding the cash

I guess the problem is that Love never really had a manager? Arthur was not to be trusted, and history does bear out the fact that he saw very well financially from Love

Whether this is due to Love owning their own songs.. But certainly Bryan didn't see money from his songs, clearly, even when his songs were being covered. Did he see any money from the Damned?

So its really of no surprise that people like Snoopy would want to put Love behind them, and Bryan, Johnny, Michael got out of music altogether, probably because they had such a trying time of it. None of them were rich from being in Love, and its doubtful they saw any share of royalties from record sales

I mean, Forever Changes DID stay in print, and sell, although its not clear whether it ever saw gold record sales

Don't think Arthur was much loved by the people he worked with. Perhaps bands like Lilac Time would play the one off live gig with Arthur for free, but people who had anything to do with Arthur knew what they were dealing with and it was a BUSINESS matter (Baby Lemonade didn't play gigs with Arthur for free, even when Arthur was insulting band members as Chinks or harassing them over the phone

and of course so many people got ripped off by Arthur financially. Michael, Distortions, the list is endless
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  17:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk, I agree with your angst about the negative approach to Michael's book. A carousel ride is fun but it can also make you dizzy sometimes. The book is a piece of MICHAEL'S LIFE; so truthful it hurts. Get over it people, like it or not that's the way it was. It's not about "us," what we got was fingers on fretboards and hands on sticks. Being in a band. . . can you feel that? Now sing.

It's all the same day.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page