Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2010 :  13:42:01  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/

Blog no. 7 - 'Cricket at last, a bus journey leads to hand to hand conflict, the perks of being white, marriage'

Love, KJ

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  09:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blog number 8 - 'The great debate, authority is decimated, Rwanda’s got Talent, and a misbehaving flute!'

http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/2512.html

Enjoy!

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  12:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blog update no.9 - 'Mutant cows, cricket Russian roulette, tantrums and the joys of being serenaded...'

http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/2706.html

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2010 :  09:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kula John - this is a fascinating piece of writing and given that I have spent all my professional life in teaching, it resonates with me a great deal...especially all the marking! It is strange how for those who have never been there, it is almost impossible to think of Rwanda without also imagining the genocide that so gripped the country during its dreadful civil war. What came across in your journal was the blessed ordinariness of life there seems to be there now.....something of course we take too much for granted in Europe and America. By the way, it is true, isn't it, that the head waters of the Nile are in Rwanda? Anyway, keep writing for us all.......it is very much appreciated. Cheers - John9

Edited by - John9 on 24/04/2010 16:09:08
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  10:41:07  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words John, glad you're enjoying the blog. Yes, some people say the source of the nile is here in rwanda but others disagree, there's a bit of an ongoing argument about it!

Here's my next update

'A reminder, CVs for the rich and famous, currency problems and expanding the green army!'

http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/2949.html

Go to Top of Page

watchinallthapeople
Fourth Love

155 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  14:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey KJ

I've emigrated to Africa too after living 5 years in Portugal
I'm in Pretoria in South Africa, got here last September
Probably a different kettle of fish to Rwanda though!
Africa kicks ass from what I've seen!
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  10:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey

How are you liking S.Africa WALP? I want to try and visit Zambia and Botswana in my next hol. If you're ever up in Rwanda give me a shout!!

KJ

Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  10:09:00  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the next update...

'The daily grind, eye-opening news, educating my posse on life in the ghetto and political despots'

http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/3230.html

Edited by - Kula John on 07/06/2010 10:09:47
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  20:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
boy a very very interesting blog there kj....I think you have a pretty challenging existence over there right now..great that you're teacjing...I admire your students and their quest for an education...when they finish do you think Africa can afford them a better quality of life?
coupla more days and you'll be cheering Wayne and co unfortunately minus Ferdinand...good luck on the 12th at Rustenburg!....so what will we have? Down to penalities or will you romp and pomp???......I'm sure your charges will be singing the praises of Bfana Bfana!
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  10:54:32  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Rocker, yeh teaching here is very eye-opening but the students are great and a real inspiration. I'm hopeful many of them will progress on to university and have a better future.

here's my next update: http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/3430.html 'Lake Kivu, F1, Chris de Burgh, gangster rap, goats, cricket annihilation and bananas'

Yeh tonight is England v USA...i'mm going for a draw..1-1...England are notoriously slow starters in major tournaments. Hopefully both of us will progressþ. I love the WorldCup!!

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  14:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he kj you picked it pretty good...1-1 was right on...looks lke SA is on the ropes right now...it will be tough for them to stay in...
good luck today..we have to win against Slovenia or it'll be tough to stay in this tourney too!...
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  14:26:13  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well the world cup is over for both our teams, what an anti-climax! The Germans did us again, suspect refereeing though! ah well, there's always four years time!

Anyway, here's my next update

http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/3684.html

Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  16:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and here's the next!

http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/3942.html

'An evaluation of teaching, feline predators, feeling old, having God on my side and dissatisfied nuns...'

Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  11:01:32  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love reading these, John. My son Jim is in his first year of teaching in the UK this academic year, at a fairly tough secondary school in Nottingham. Some of the things that you've come across mirror what he's come across - apathy / eye rolling from students is a very familiar one - and other things are very different. Its both a small and a very large world - but it seems that people everywhere generally have more similarities than differences.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  12:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tina, yeah teaching is a tough business sometimes! I imagine your son has it pretty tough in inner city Nottingham. I was at university there for three years and can imagine he has to deal with some very difficult students! I'm generally pretty lucky here as there are very high levels of respect for teachers and authority in general so 99% of my students are great and no trouble at all.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page