Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  14:42:01  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi John, yes he's in Clifton so its not an easy school. I'd forgotten that you were a student in Nottingham, thats how I found myself here 38 years ago after growing up in Newcastle, I've been here ever since.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2010 :  17:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeh i had a great time at nottingham uni, the campus is awesome and the city is perfect for a student! Living in lenton was 3 very enjoyable years! I wouldn't rule out returning there at some point in my life if the opportunity arises.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  14:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tina, yeah teaching is a tough business sometimes

Tell me about it. Around these parts teachers have been laid off and fired. The budgets cannot handle their salaries etc. All thanks to the 'Great Recession" we've been experiencing. Of course, this recession has hit many countries globally but I wonder if it has affected them as much as us. My son also wants to be a teacher but I wonder whether he can get a position later on. Who knows? He may follow a route to Europe if things don't pan out here for him...looks like there's more opportunity away.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  17:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is sad that lower and higher education (& not just for children's future monetary gain) is much more highly valued everywhere except the USA. Instead of asking pre-schoolers what game they want to play, it's-what are you going to do what your life?! Kids need to play to learn about interaction, not be able to read by the time they are FOUR! Facts show that all that is learned before 6 or 7 is wasted and that the playing field is even at that age no matter what kind of higher education has been shoved down their little mouths.

And just to throw another hot topic in to the works, kids nowadays will live shorter lives than us. Dropping phys ed, keeping junk food in the halls and lunch rooms .....so tell me, why are kids on their behinds more in school than any other time during the day? How about stretch breaks during classes, better nutrition in school lunches that actually watch fat intake, recess that does not ban most playtime activities--
no dodge ball, no tether ball, no pickup ballgame so someone doesn't get their feelings hurt if they aren't chosen first....I understand that some bullying is harmful, but schoolyard posturing is a part of life and builds character, if proper life tools are learned and taught.
What happens when they run into a bully at work, they have no tools to cope. The "new" education is more bent on protecting the kids in a vacuum than educating them. The US is falling behind in every category and spending more, for what? Certainly not for our fine teachers.

...we need to stop tying teachers hands and allow them to teach!

Sorry for my rant....

Edited by - lemonade kid on 20/07/2010 17:07:32
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  14:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think higher eductaion has changed around here since most of us have graduated. Things sure look different. Looks like having a BA degree and its expense isn't much anymore. It costs alot to go to college today. Sometimes it doersn't give a return and people question it.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  17:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

I think higher eductaion has changed around here since most of us have graduated. Things sure look different. Looks like having a BA degree and its expense isn't much anymore. It costs alot to go to college today. Sometimes it doersn't give a return and people question it.

I know successful doctors with teenage kids still paying off their college loans. There has to be a better way.

Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  13:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's my next update

'People, pigs, Frank Spencer, haircut discrimination and famous shirts...'

http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/4150.html

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  14:00:03  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey

It's been a while but here's my next blog update!

http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/4427.html

Talking about my time in Southern Africa

KJ

Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  14:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Next update

'Fears, music, music, no music, pick-pocketing and religion'

http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/4749.html

Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  16:41:12  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's my next update with some more photos

http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/5006.html

I'm actually nearly done here in Rwanda which is scary!

Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  16:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, next update for you. Hope you don't mind me posting this here, i realise it may have become a bit tedious!

'Teacher, forgive us...'

http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/5348.html

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  23:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey I like that football team. Could be some diamonds in the rough down there, eh Kula????? I have the feeling you're going to be really thinking with great fondeness of your time there teaching. Great work Kula...

Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  19:01:21  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Rocker, yeh I leave here very soon and I'll be very sad about this. It's been a crazy but memorable year.

Here's my next update.

http://dacapo1967.livejournal.com/5598.html

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  23:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Education no longer guarantees you a decent job

Or a JOB!!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  18:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is my impression, that with the state of the US economy, with all the talk of improving our education here (which is great political fodder), that the US places more value in money and big business and less on such things as education.
After all. there are no immediate profits from a good education....and something like better opportunities for the young is an end that is so far in the future that they fail to see the value. They start out pushing education, at an early age, when children should be developing social skills, and being children---and burning out by the 3rd grade, when the big bucks from "educational toys" dry up. Why else would the US be at the bottom in math and science skills...and many other fields. The brain drain....remember that old saying. SO the US "imports" all the talent from abroad...for our hospitals, etc (I don't know how many foreign medical interns I have encountered at the University hospital here, but it is staggering.). Hopefully things will change for the better soon, for the world. I guess I have a rather pessimistic view of the current state, but I believe my youth spent outdoors, was much better spent than at a computer for 8 hours a day.

If 2012 doesn't get us first!! We hope it doesn't render us all moot!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 18/10/2010 18:20:17
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page