Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  18:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas..glad that you give out the cd's as well..I also buy extra copies and give them out to people I think who would appreciate the "new" music to them if they haven't heard it. That's Love marketing for ya...
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  05:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I love it.

I find the artwork to be very classy and very seductive. I have given some copies away, and people love the artwork. The liner notes are some of the best for any Love related release in my opinion without a doubt.

Musically, the demos are full of life and they blend well with the studio recordings. I actually suggested some years ago a friend with a great band do the same for their self titled debut. Mix great demos with studio tracks. Here it works very well.

Also, the musicianship is great. I agree with a comment earlier that the vibe in the studio, and the chemistry just seems to work a little better than the False Start and Vindicator albums. These songs have a great feel to them, something I could play at a party whereas False Start and Vindicator seeem to lack that warmness.

Gary Rowles and Craig Tarwater never sounded so groovy and funky to me, and Fayad is as always a monster. I like some of the intricate sounds to these songs, the vocals seem more impressive to me as well, a great mix of psych and soul.

It feels more honest than Black Beauty or Vindicator. It would have been amazing to hear this finished and mastered over at CBS.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  05:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

What I also meant to say was that Love Lost carries a certain musical dynamic that False Start and Vindicator may have lacked. Some of the solos feel more organic to me. I feel like Arthur is really trying here, and that this perhaps could have easily put our man into the mainstream had CBS been a shade more willing to put up with Arthur's arthurisms.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  10:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The vinyl edition is now in stock at Spin:

http://www.spincds.com/product.asp?id=9021598

Go to Top of Page

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  13:11:57  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just received mine and it looks absolut fantastic.
I'll update main site next week with a scan
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  00:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U83gRD7WeGU
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  06:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool indeed.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  20:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KD: Here's a cool one - LOVE Lost has made the
Huffington Post's Top 10 Albums of 2009.

Go Arthur !

The Huffington Post December 16, 2009

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tony-sachs/my-top-ten-oldnew-or-is-i_b_393862.html

10. LOVE - Love Lost (Sundazed). One of the most ambitious and dazzling American bands of the '60s, Love's stock was falling by 1971, when these tracks were recorded for a Columbia album that never materialized. The band members who'd helped to craft masterpieces like 1967's Forever Changes had long since disappeared, leaving leader Arthur Lee with a less subtle and harder rocking crew in its stead. As a result, much of this album sounds like Lee's recently deceased friend Jimi Hendrix -- Lee even slips in a minute or two of Jimi's "Ezy Ryder" into one song. So what makes Love Lost a keeper? For one thing, if anyone has the right to sound like Hendrix, it's Arthur Lee, who was friends with Jimi, and an early musical influence besides. These songs are in the Hendrix mode, but with an exception or two, they're not pastiches or hollow imitations -- and they genuinely rock. For my money, though, the highlight is five gorgeous solo acoustic demos that showcase what a great singer and songwriter Lee was even at this relatively late date.

Free the Love !
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  20:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

An extremely fair and well balanced review.....thanks, Kdion.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  23:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I love it. "If anyone has the right to sound like Jimi Hendrix". I agree 100%, come on man, I wish that this record would have been finished in 1971, I bet money it would be well viewed to this day.

I think its great for Arthur's legacy to have this be named one of the great records of 2009, and honestly with much of the drivel that is coming out these days Love Lost is refreshing.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  00:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

An extremely fair and well balanced review.....thanks, Kdion.

KD: No problemo
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  01:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kinda off topic...but i see the reviewer also listed a Betty Davis album finally released after having been recorded in 1976. for those into funky music, she's an all-time great (and oft overlooked, like Love).
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  03:11:33  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Buckle your seatbelts. It's gonna be a bumpy rock &roll!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  03:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I had the time to listen to it more (I've listened to it twice)

Yes the version of "Everybodys gotta live" is macabre - the worst song on the album!
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  03:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I guess I am a bit numb to Everybody's Gotta Live because it became somewhat of a staple of the post Elektra Arthur Lee. There are many people I know who are casual Love fans who know that song pretty well. My kid dug it a lot some years back, but he dug the Vindicator version.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page