Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  21:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My copy of the CD arrived just as I was setting off for the cinema this afternoon and so I had the unexpected pleasure of listening to this much anticipated release on both legs of the journey. Arthur's solo acoustic tracks definitely have an eeriness to them.... a welcome change following the heavily amplified all electric sound on False Start. By the same token, the songs featuring the ensemble playing of Lee, Tarwater, Fayad and Poncher seem to have much more edge and subtlety to them than the versions that were re-recorded for Vindicator a year later. It is interesting to note that the version of Everybody's Gotta Live included here had not yet been fully developed....Arthur had yet to pen the lines that begin: "It's seems like I have seen just about a million sunsets, she said if you're with me I'll never go away". Of the previously unheard songs, the most melodic is probably For a Day, which is vaguely reminiscent of John Sebastian's Daydream. There is also a hidden track tucked away at the very end of the CD....but I'll leave everyone to discover that one for themselves!

You obviously wouldn't want to start with Love Lost if you were seeking to turn someone on to Love's music for the first time. As David Angel observed towards the end of Love Story, some people are destined to do a particular thing at a particular time.....and I think that in all honesty by 1971, Arthur's star had already burned brilliantly....and had faded. But pitched midway between False Start and Vindicator, this album is, to my ears better than either. And the sound of Frank Fayad's ever faithful bass - every bit as resonant as it is on Four Sail - is strangely moving.

Edited by - John9 on 27/11/2009 01:12:54

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  15:35:00  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've added scans of the cd: http://love.torbenskott.dk/love_lost.asp
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  16:11:56  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure if anyone else has noticed but amazon.com are now saying January 2010 for release of this record. Seems odd as clearly many people already have a copy.

Edited by - caryne on 27/11/2009 17:47:47
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  17:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but amazon.com are now saying January 2010 for release of this record. Seems odd as clarly many people already have a copy.

I think it is the vinyl, Caryne, that Amazon are now dating to 12 January. It would seem that there have been manufacturing issues.

Edited by - John9 on 27/11/2009 17:43:05
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  17:46:30  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

quote:
Originally posted by caryne

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but amazon.com are now saying January 2010 for release of this record. Seems odd as clarly many people already have a copy.

I think it is the vinyl, Caryne, that Amazon are now dating to 12 January. It would seem that there have been manufacturing issues.

Maybe, as I didn't bother to look at the CD as I always prefer vinyl. If they've had maufacturing issues though it doesn't make sense that, before I cancelled my order, Sundazed were promising to ship me the vinyl within a few days (and that was a few weeks ago now). Has anyone actually got a vinyl copy yet?

Edited by - caryne on 27/11/2009 17:47:24
Go to Top of Page

marsIANin
First Love

Russia
23 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  22:13:49  Show Profile  Send marsIANin an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Upload some mp3 please. It is very difficult to order the CD from Russia. Thank you ;)
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  22:41:24  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marsIANin

Upload some mp3 please. It is very difficult to order the CD from Russia. Thank you ;)

I think you'll find that this forum has a policy on 'illegal file sharing' and it's that it is not promoted on here.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  00:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The vinyl will not be at Amoeba in LA until December sometime.

I am picking up a few copies of the CD today and mailing them out as gifts. I know a few people that will dig that, but I was hoping to grab some vinyls to my record collecting mates.

Sundazed please get it together! Yeah!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  00:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hopefully they're already Love fans - not very accessible to a newbie!!
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  03:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, not to start a bar fight or anything (lol), but I couldn't disagree more. if you like early 70's style hard rock that grooves and has a seriously intense and passionate vocal style, it's a very solid collection of songs. obviously it's not for everyone, but neither are any other Love albums (including FC and Da Capo).

that said...the overlap of those who dig the first 3 Love albums *and* Vindicator-era stuff is pretty narrow...so you've got plenty of company :)
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  06:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still not used to the new version of "Everybodys Gotta Live" LOL!

The cds rated at 1,402 in music on Amazon, so it would seem to be selling. Did it get a good review in Rolling Stone?
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  15:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ruxprncd..."obviously it's not for everyone"...

Well for me FC was the band's and Arthur's best but I do agree with you that everybody has their favs which is just an indication that art is so personal. After all the discussion here on the band and all its incarnations I've made up my mind to let the songs live in their own time when they were done. To expect Arthur to do an FC 5-7 years on after he already did it is ridiculous and that's analagous I think to say the Beatles doing re-workings of She Loves You 30 years on. There are forever changes and you can't go back.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  17:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its growing on me

Nice to hear tracks like "Find somebody" (off Black Beauty?) in decent sound quality, certainly!

anyone have the album yet? definitely gonna transfer that to cd when it comes out (I tossed my turntable earlier in the year as it only played mono LOL!
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  17:55:12  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Its growing on me

Nice to hear tracks like "Find somebody" (off Black Beauty?) in decent sound quality, certainly!

anyone have the album yet? definitely gonna transfer that to cd when it comes out (I tossed my turntable earlier in the year as it only played mono LOL!

Like I said, amazon are still saying the vinyl won't be out until January. Buy a new turntable, it'll sound so much better.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  03:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The people I am giving it to as gifts are newbies, but they like everything I put them up on. Also I am hoping this help's Diane in keeping Arthur's legacy going strong, so I feel the CD's will be appreciated by their new owners.

I find people who don't carry the baggage of Forever Changes that maybe some of us diehards do, appreciate albums like Four Sail, Out Here and even Vindicator.

I had a friend in Silverlake start DJing songs from Reel to Real a couple of years ago at a bar called Cha Cha. I walked in and bam! You Said You Would was playing and people dug it.

So, you never know.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  04:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First Love album I ever heard was Studio/Live
(the 2nd side has "Product of the time" - which turns up on Love Lost)

wish it had been Forever Changes of course, but I couldn't find that on cassette as I could the MCA album
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page