Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bob Weir
First Love

6 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  21:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear all,

as you may know, Sundazed is releasing two acoustic demos (Love jumped through my window b/w Sad Song) on 7" this August. The great news however is that Sundazed has unearthed the complete Arthur Lee and Love unreleased Columbia-album from 1971 and will be relasing this album as "Love Lost"!! (hopefully later this year). Also unearthed are several more acoustic demos from the same period which most probably alos will see the light of day later. This info has been gathered from Sundazed webpage. Great news indeed!

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  22:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting this! Very interesting. Here's the link to the 7", with the mention of the 'unissued album':

http://www.sundazed.com/product_info.php?products_id=1129

The 7" tracks are both acoustic versions of Vindicator tracks - the samples sound great, IMO.

Does anyone here know anything about this, and/or what other tracks were 'found'?
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  23:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob for this delightful news. As for other songs - I've just noticed that Love performed another Vindicator song at the Fillmore West in November 1970.....Find Somebody. And the line-up for that show (Lee/Tarwater/Fayad/Poncher) was presumably the same as the one that was responsible for the abortive sesions at Columbia the following year. I've often said that I believe that this period found Arthur at an all time creative low - but these acoustic recordings do seem to be very good.

Edited by - John9 on 27/07/2009 23:18:34
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  02:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Find somebody

sounds like Black Beauty

As I recall, a good song

I'm assuming the live 1970 was on the Blue Thumb box that came out in the past couple years

I don't recall that track being on Studio/Live. The first Love I ever listened to, actually (it was the only Love album I could find on cassette!)
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  03:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this post. An "unplugged" Arthur Lee album from 1971 ... wow!

is that an unreleased album he did for Columbia or what? thats a new one on me, and I'm fairly sure I haven't read in the Castle about Arthur Lee cutting an album in 1971 just on his acoustic!!

Can anyone recommend the Blue Thumb 3cd box btw? I understand the packagings not so hot, but has anyone heard the live set from that release?
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  05:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe -
Re: Blue Thumb 3cd box...it's similar (sonically) to the live version of Stand Out on False Start, and the live side of Studio/Live. I think it's great - I like the heavy rock sound of this era of Love.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  08:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe and Ruxprncd - the live Blue Thumb recordings come from Love's tour of England in early 1970 and feature Gary Rowles, Frank Fayad and George Suranovich. Although they make for interesting listening, I've always felt that Arthur's vocals sound distorted on some of the tracks. I've never really understood this because the False Start version of Stand Out, which comes from the same shows, sounds fine. By the time of the Fillmore West performances of November 1970 the personnel had changed yet again and the early Vindicator lineup had come into being. I believe that the concert excerpt on Studio/Live derives from this later period - but this time from the Fillmore East. But of course one can never be really sure - I think that one of the things that makes Love's history so fascinating is that much of it still lies shrouded in mystery.

Edited by - John9 on 28/07/2009 08:46:51
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  10:23:12  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Weir

Dear all,

as you may know, Sundazed is releasing two acoustic demos (Love jumped through my window b/w Sad Song) on 7" this August. The great news however is that Sundazed has unearthed the complete Arthur Lee and Love unreleased Columbia-album from 1971 and will be relasing this album as "Love Lost"!! (hopefully later this year). Also unearthed are several more acoustic demos from the same period which most probably alos will see the light of day later. This info has been gathered from Sundazed webpage. Great news indeed!

Thanks for that Bob, I've just ordered to 7". I must admit I try to avoid the Sundazed website as I always ending up buying too much, I try to restrain myself this time and only bought the single and a Link Wray LP
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  19:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by John9

the live Blue Thumb recordings come from Love's tour of England in early 1970 and feature Gary Rowles, Frank Fayad and George Suranovich. Although they make for interesting listening, I've always felt that Arthur's vocals sound distorted on some of the tracks.

KD: Hey John. I agree - I think it somewhat "historically interesting", but the tapes seem badly recorded and and the
material is sloppily played.

As far as the CBS Stuff coming out - this is great news. Wouldn't
be surprised to see that it's just the "CBS" Version of Vindicator
though - same time period, more or less same line up. Apparently Arthur was given a big advance and was a bit slow in coming up with the goods - the suits at CBS then pulled the plug.

Still love to hear them though.

Free the plugs !
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  03:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember reading in the Castle that the live side on Studio/Live was from the Boston Tea Party

I could be wrong

You gotta love Arthurs intro to the live "Stand out" on False start

I remember reading in an early Castle (perhaps even the first!) that there was an album called Arthur Lee - his life, his songs
but I don't recall the year

Christ - the Love story never ends. I've never heard of a 1971 "lost album" (no not the Kinks!) with Arthur playing acoustic songs. Unless it was something he did for Columbia. Or Paul Rothchild's Buffalo label. This is pretty fantastic

now if only the original demos cut at Sunset sound would turn up (tho I think Love was still the Grass roots at that point) (year: 1965? 1966?)

is anyone looking on eBay now for VIDEO footage of the Hendrix/Lee jam at Olympic, now that the acetate (FINALLY) turned up (I guess Bob Krasnow had his back turned)

According to Lee himself, he suspects the jam between him and Hendrix was filmed, tho a lot of what Hendrix himself filmed (home footage - of Syd Barrett etc) seems to have been destroyed in London

Wish Real to Reel would turn up on cd LOL Well, maybe I'm not THAT desperate! its not worthy of the LoVE name, its not really rock!
Go to Top of Page

marsIANin
First Love

Russia
23 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  12:59:02  Show Profile  Send marsIANin an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Joe Morris
I can upload live set from Blue Thumb box in mp3 or Flac if you're interested
Go to Top of Page

Bob Weir
First Love

6 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  21:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mea culpa. As I understand Sundazed, the album Love Lost is Arthur Lee and Love's unreleased album from 1971, probably with a full fledged band. Apart from that, Sundazed has also discovered a number of acoustic demos from the same period. Consequently, we shpuld be able to look forward to two releases, the Love Lost album and hopefully after that the acoustic demos featuring nothing but Mr. Lee and an acoustic guitar. No release date(s) announced yet.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  00:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was the Kinks who had a lost album

Rather good one actually, on Reprise

Really don't need any more live Love mate - thanks anyways - just got a live dvdr of Love with BONUS FEATURES, which is pretty uproarious

Nothing new in the Bonus Features tho - just the usual suspects (Red Book done on Bandstand, the Your mind and we color film)

Appreciate the offer though. What is flac? sounds a bit rude, rhymes with sack!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  00:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

I thought it was the Kinks who had a lost album

Rather good one actually, on Reprise

Really don't need any more live Love mate - thanks anyways - just got a live dvdr of Love with BONUS FEATURES, which is pretty uproarious

Nothing new in the Bonus Features tho - just the usual suspects (Red Book done on Bandstand, the Your mind and we color film)

Appreciate the offer though. What is flac? sounds a bit rude, rhymes with sack!

What is the LOST Kinks material.....has it been released?
]Now THAT would pique my musical curiosity.

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  00:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only on bootleg

I think most of it came out on the Preservation society 3cd (except for "Drawing pictures in the sand")

Great great stuff

Give a miss to the recent Kinks box though. I do a review of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltwIQy2Ae30

I barely listen to it past disc 3

The Great Lost Kinks Album is a Kinks Kronikles II. Great great stuff. The bootleg I have of it has Daves solo album for '68 on it as well
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  17:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice. "Village Green.." the official release is my favorite Kinks LP.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page