Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Soundtrack of the Times--Deja Vu all over again.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  20:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone has a sound track of their time, I think. For me it was two albums. Sgt. Peppers always takes me back to 1967 and the times. Forever Changes does it, but even more so, AND it has become the soundtrack of today with Bush/ Cheney, Iraq, the economy, student activism, the environment. ( and back to Nixon, Nam, and so on......) There is no question that Forever Changes is timeless & eternal. It's the keeper of the flame. Always new, always the same, forever changes.

There are others, but none as powerful as the Beatles (who embodied love) & especially Love (who embodied all things--love, war, death..life).

What is the soundtrack of your time?

Edited by - lemonade kid on 30/10/2008 20:29:02

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  23:45:54  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
these albums are some of the soundtracks of my life:
The Beatles: "Meet The Beatles". happy and magic!!! everythig is better now!
The Beatles: "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". my first steady girlfriend! ahhhhh....and i turned on! her school marching baton was the stash place!
"Buffalo Springfield " my hair's getting a little long!
Love:"Forever Changes" ....this one REALLY changed me! me and my friends use to stay up all night figurring out the lyrics!
Hendrix: "Are You Experienced?" i brought "third stone from the sun" into my jr. high art class to inspire my mates.
Percy Faith:" The Theme From 'A Summer Place'" ...a beautiful record that pulls me back to magic times in the fiftees. my suburban '50s-early 60s childhood, in the San Fernando Valley, pre-Beatles.
i also loved Cole Porter's "Night And Day", from the Fred Astair movies that my family watched on tv.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2008 :  03:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes , Sgt. Peppers would be the one for me. It just opened up so many things for so many people. Strange, I don't really listen to it now. When I read reviews that its overrated, I laugh.

Hey Kid, you are almost single handedly keeping this board alive with so many interesting topics.

Elwood P. Dowd, was that the guy from Blues Brothers.
Just joking, I know who he is.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2008 :  13:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bob f..heh heh.. you just made me think about "Theme From a Summer Place"...that song I can remember always was played in rotation at our parties then with "Mr.Tambourine Man" and "Satisfaction". I think my friend who was the dj and controlled the turntable wanted it in there for "slow" dances......
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2008 :  16:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markk

Yes , Sgt. Peppers would be the one for me. It just opened up so many things for so many people. Strange, I don't really listen to it now. When I read reviews that its overrated, I laugh.

Hey Kid, you are almost single handedly keeping this board alive with so many interesting topics.

Elwood P. Dowd, was that the guy from Blues Brothers.
Just joking, I know who he is.

Thanks, mk. Was worried I was scaring everyone away. Good to hear from you all.
Hey bobf!.....In a baton!! That's a new one for me!!

You're right about Peppers, bf & mk, for me too. I don't listen as much to it anymore, either. I guess it's just so much a part of my 60's soul & psyche, it's playing non-stop on the TT in my head!

Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  00:49:31  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've said it before and I know 99.9% of the board will disagree, but I really didn't like The Beatles. Just think they were bl**dy lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Yeah, there are a few decent songs but I don't own any albums and really have never even considered it. Far better for me, for lyrics and tunes, were The Kinks who really don't get the recognition they deserve. Of course, The Beatles had far better management etc behind them, so they certainly got the breaks.

Soundtrack of my time?

The Clash - First Album

Edited by - caryne on 01/11/2008 00:50:31
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  17:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

I've said it before and I know 99.9% of the board will disagree, but I really didn't like The Beatles. Just think they were bl**dy lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Yeah, there are a few decent songs but I don't own any albums and really have never even considered it. Far better for me, for lyrics and tunes, were The Kinks who really don't get the recognition they deserve. Of course, The Beatles had far better management etc behind them, so they certainly got the breaks.

Soundtrack of my time?

The Clash - First Album

Gotta argue with you on this one, caryne. "The Beatles were just in the right place at the right time??!!" Then the last 40 years have been the "right time" and the unforeseen future--like forever--will be the "right time". The Beatles may have had great savy & knew their business better than any band before or since, but it really is a matter of TASTE here, because the Beatles are THE band for ALL TIME, whether you like them or not!! A band with great business savy but no real talent is eventually found out for the frauds they are. The Beatles are the real thing. You can quote me.

Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  00:59:19  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Totally disagree LK. The Beatles are revered because they were successful, that's great for them but they were successful because of great management and a lot of luck. There is absolutely no way they are the best band the world has ever produced (which some people seem to think). They had their great moments but so did any others, they just didn't have The Beatles skill with self-promotion.

For most of the 70's and early 80's The Beatles were laregly ignored, certainly in the UK, it was only the death of Lennon that brought them back into the public eye without that I am not so certain they would be the icons they are now. Many young people today have no knowledge or love of The Beatles, why should they? They were a great band from the 60's but 'The Band for all Time' is nonsense, they were just a great band 'of their time'.

Edited by - caryne on 04/11/2008 01:02:24
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  11:26:45  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I would say that a lot of modern bands are influenced by the Beatles and many are quick to add a Beatles cover to their repertoire. A true test of greatness is if the music lasts and thrives year after year. The Beatles music certainly does. Many would argue it sounds as fresh today as it did back when it was first released. I don't think you can just label them a great 60s band. Check out Oasis performing 'I am the Walrus' at the Electric Proms recently and you can see what effect the Beatles have had on modern music. They finished their set with that song and it was a classic moment. Also at the Electric Proms the Last Shadow Puppets threw in a cover of 'She's So Heavy'. I don't think any other British band have rivalled the Beatles in influence and success.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  11:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know that The Beatles were "largely ignored" in the UK during the 1970s and early 80s. They may well have had lower profiles as solo artists after the early 70s - but, as far as I remember, the legacy of their collective 60s output continued to shine as brightly as ever. I suppose that there is always the danger of the rose tinted spectacles...and I'm probably guilty of donning these myself. This said, there is simply no denying that The Beatles have always been extremely well represented in all the Top 20...50....100...or 1001 albums of all time that Rolling Stone, Uncut,, Q, Mojo or any other magazine has chosen to feature. Their only serious rival is this respect has been Bob Dylan. There must be a reason for all that beyond saying that they had they were lucky.

It is difficult to convey just how exciting it was to live through it all. Yes, the Beatles did start by doing rock n roll covers...just like an estimated one hundred other groups in Liverpool at that time. But when you first heard Please Please Me or From Me To You on the radio...and then talked about it in the primary school playground with your friends, you just knew that something thrilling was happening to your life. I know that some might say "well of course, you were just growing up and you were probably becoming more interested in girls.....and in the big world outside" - but there was more to it than that. Even in the early 60s, The Beatles reached out across the generations with many mums and dads (perhaps reluctantly) conceding that they were rather special - my own grandparents saw them twice at the London Palladium. But The Beatles never ever stood still. Whilst they always seemed to capture the tenor of the moment, they were continually entertaining, challenging and occasionally shocking their audience. Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, the White Album and Abbey Road were not so much albums...as revolutions.

Of course, there was something about the cultural mix of the 1960s that helped to give rise to The Beatles. For the first time the price of records (especially singles)was falling into the pocket money range of kids in their mid teens. Britain had been rocked by the Profumo Scandal, it was an exciting time in the arts and broadcasting as the ever retreating boundaries of censorship were being tested..and of course there were more liberal laws concerning sexual behaviour. They were altogether more idealogical times than we know today - both in Britain and in the world at large. The Beatles were indeed fortunate in that their talents were nurtured and allowed to flourish in such an environment. Whether so many disparate forces could ever come together again in the way they did back then, to enable something truly revolutionary to emerge stands open to question....but until they do, The Beatles' unique place in western civilisation remains assured.

Edited by - John9 on 04/11/2008 11:46:00
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  12:58:33  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kula John

Hmmm, I would say that a lot of modern bands are influenced by the Beatles and many are quick to add a Beatles cover to their repertoire. A true test of greatness is if the music lasts and thrives year after year. The Beatles music certainly does. Many would argue it sounds as fresh today as it did back when it was first released. I don't think you can just label them a great 60s band. Check out Oasis performing 'I am the Walrus' at the Electric Proms recently and you can see what effect the Beatles have had on modern music. They finished their set with that song and it was a classic moment. Also at the Electric Proms the Last Shadow Puppets threw in a cover of 'She's So Heavy'. I don't think any other British band have rivalled the Beatles in influence and success.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Don't get me started on Oasis, I can't stand that band, yes, they love The Beatles but, for me, they might as well be a 'Beatles Tribute Band' there is nothing that is original or exciting about their stuff.

I have been attending concerts and following music for over thirty years now (yes, I know a short time compared to some of you) but , I think, the difference is I still follow what is new and I simply cannot say I have heard the influence of The Beatles in much that is around today, sorry but that is how it is.

I have researched, when helping one of my children on a project, the influence of the 60's on today's society and it was there that I realised, through looking at stuff from the 70's, that The Beatles were, whilst not totally ignored, not revered in the way they are now. I am only going by the evidence of my own research, that is all I can do but, if you try it yourself, you will find that they are menioned in music publications much more now than they were in the 70's/80's.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  15:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
caryne...I can see your personal point on the Beatles, i.e not liking them. Certainly they were in the "zeitgeist" at the time acting like a great big musical dustball in the cultural mix of the day. The Beatles were a band like that. Just a comment. You know there was a Chinese revolutiionary when asked about the French Revolution said that we're still trying to gauge its effects. Same I think for the Beatles. We're still kind of close to the era they were in. I'd say history will truly be the judge about their claim to fame. Time gives perspective. We'll get it in 2050......
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  15:19:57  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have made a good point there rocker...who knows in 2050 it might be 'Freddie and the Dreamers' who are lauded!!
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  16:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:
Originally posted by Kula John

Don't get me started on Oasis, I can't stand that band, yes, they love The Beatles but, for me, they might as well be a 'Beatles Tribute Band' there is nothing that is original or exciting about their stuff.

Yeh I'm with you on that one. I'm not a fan of Oasis at all, I just thought it was testament to The Beatles that they ended their set with that song. You're right about 99% of Oasis' music, it is bland!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  17:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think any band is a "product of their times". And luck. And talent. Those who didn't have the talent to sustain their promotion, faded away. For example...Dave Clark Five. They had the chance & luck to be the "Bealtes" famewise, but just could not sustain the creative output. Herman's Hermits were huge, but who plays that fluff anymore. You could say that each decade had it's "lucky bands". The Clash were just as lucky that the 70's was a decade of disillusionment & rejection of flower power...a kind of deconstructionism. The Clash don't get the play the Beatles do today (of course they never did). Bee Gees were lucky that the 80's were about materialism & disco. And so on. The Beatles endured all the changes, and Dylan, Love & a few others. The Beatles weren't lucky, totally. They didn't just fall into fame. They worked they asses of for years in dives, honing they craft, until people"got it". If they didn't have it, it couldn't have been sold. It was a different world back them. But bands like the Beatles didn't just live in the times, they helped to create those times; the 60's were a balnk slate....they wrote on it & well. Later generations have had to fit in the slots, more or less, now they are again trying to break out, like we did in the 60's. Nowadays a "star" from "Idol" is ridiculously successful, solely on promotion. No way you can put the Beatles in that "luck & promotion" slot!!

We will always agree to disagree, caryne, and for that I am grateful. But there are a huge number of kids today that, in spite of what the music industry is trying push on them, they still go back instinctively to the Beatles and Love and the great 60's music. Not the Clash, not Iggy, not Bee Gees, but to what touches their deep youthful soul, just like it did for us way back when. We didn't give a damn about promotion (which was in it's infancy...not like the machine today), the first time we heard She Loves You it we knew something wonderful was happening. Probably like the first time you heard The Clash or Iggy.

By the way, even She Loves You was revolutionary. It was the first pop tune to start with the refrain...never been done before. Small now, but a huge creative leap. One of many that is just taken for granted today because everyone copies them The influence is immeasurable,
all have expressed they indebtedness, from Dylan to REM, to The Pretties. Leonard Berstein called "She Said, She Said" the greatest modern song ever written. Those kind of things are not thrown out lightly.

Time will out....but I fear you & I, caryne, will never agree, but let's never stop talking!!

ok.......... thanks for the time slot...I'm done...stick a fork in me.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 04/11/2008 17:18:10
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  17:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know lk maybe you should write a book on why the Beatles have had staying power as rather those Manchester guys "Freddie and the Dreamers!" Tuneful but just not enough legs to jump the time, right? The Beatles well at least for me encompass a varied approach to a musical world. Living in a seaport town like 'Pool had its advantages. They really took everything in and redid it in an "English" way. Their work embodied rock, country,blues,Brit dance hall,classical and other stuff. And I'd agree "She Loves You" was some tune when it first came out. Rock was moved up a notch and they did it again with Pepper and Revolver..."When I was a boy everything was right...everything was right". Lennon, was he a philosopher or what?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page