New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

watchinallthapeople
Fourth Love

155 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2008 :  22:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news for any fans of the Beatles more psychedelic moments
A lost 20 min track recorded for an electronic music festival might get released

read all about it here >>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7732546.stm

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  00:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! Thanks for the heads-up. George Harrison put out a rather bizzar, electronic, Cage-like album on their Zappal label once. "Very strange."

All misspellings are purposeful...
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  00:16:43  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
MAYBE something like "what's the new maryjane", "#9", i'm always up for any Beatles good or not, and this one.....rejected for the Anthology collection...raises a flag, and am open to hearing it. i'm not a fan of jamming/improv free-form freak-out recordings,(unless i'm one of the musicians), and having been a drummer myself, and enjoying the experience of recorded improvisation party-psychedelia, i am still interested in anything Beatles, 'cause i'm a true fan, having seen them live, and they changed my life. Bless them Beatles. i guess i'm saying there are worse records to trash than maybe a bad Beatles record. so, until i hear it, ...i hope it's cool.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  04:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah (Yeah, Yeah) bob f., I'm a true fan too, and saw the last show at Candlestick, with seats right on the field (above the dugout). I hope that the LOVE board members don't mind a BEATLE'S rap, but beings that BL did the Sgt Pepper thing, I imagine it's okay. What's the New Maryjane, is a hard listen...obviously a reflection of getting stoned, rather than getting high.

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  22:11:16  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
welcome back, LeeRob! i saw The Fab 4 at Dodger Stadium, '66 with The Remains. i like The Maryjane track, but i have difficulty listening to "9", 'cause it creeps me out. sure is alot of publicity about "Carnival Of Life" on tv news.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  23:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what "General Discussion" is for, LeeRob. Caryne & I have gotten into a few fun Beatle discussions ...so we're cool here.

LoVE brought us together. Sharing the rest of our musical loves is what makes this site great...and the people here, of course.

#9 was innovative at the time, as was the whole White Album, but #9 isn't the kind of track that gets played a lot. I liked it the first time I heard it, though. It was a trip. For me anything "lost & found" by the Beatles is worth a listen. I loved "You Know My Name. Look Up De' Number"...still do & that was pretty unusual way back when. I wore out that "B" side.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 17/11/2008 23:43:38
Go to Top of Page

watchinallthapeople
Fourth Love

155 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 :  00:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta show my ignorance here but "maryjane" means nout to me :) (with reference to the beatles at least)

"Last dance with maryjane" is my fav Tom Petty song !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5pHM-o2_Dk

love that song
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 :  01:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey bob f., Yep, I saw the same tour, in S.F., Bobby Hebb came over from Alameda, where he was stationed in the Navy, and, in uniform, sang Sonny. Also, The Cyrcle was at Candlestick, did Red Rubber Ball.
You Know My Name... is GREAT! I like the swirlling, looped strings in #9. I've had the Rare Beatle Tracks set since the mid 70's; there is a bunch of great stuff there. Most of it never heard until the Anthology material was released. You gotta love George Harrison's: Miss O'Dell, where he cracks up several times with the greatest giggles ever recorded.

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  14:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see the tune was considered 'adventurous'....another aspect of the Beatles that's being looked at now where they were certainly catalysts in entertaining "new" music and how it came across...all those years in hamburg weren't for nothing...it made them out and out professsionals..when we see them on ed Sullivn they are pros man....not sure but I think they were one of the early few messing around with people like "Stockhausen' who wasn't exactly a household name at the time...nor is it today for that matter unless you're maybe a post-modernist...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  20:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can hear Macca talking to Front Row's John Wilson about the lost track and related themes at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00fgdk3/Front_Row_20112008/

I've always felt ambivalent about the Anthology CDs. I feel that all the genuinely unreleased titles or radically different versions could have fitted on to a single 2CD release. And of course making way for some of the over familiar material were the still unreleased, Colliding Circles, Sour Milk Sea and Child of Nature - I never could understand that. But will I be splashing out for the remastered original albums next year? .....You bet! Just as I was spending my pocket money on The Beatles when I was 13 - I shall be dipping into my pension for this latest extravagance. Talk about 'timeless'.......I hope I make it to 64!

Edited by - John9 on 21/11/2008 21:03:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page