New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  12:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed this slightly unusual (and heartwarming) report this morning. It is especially fascinating to read what the Vatican now thinks of the White Album on its 40th anniversary :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7744282.stm

The accompanying video clip (from 1966) is really interesting as well - featuring a young looking Charles Wheeler. He went on to become one of the greatest ever news reporters ....working right up to his death this last July - he was 85.

Edited by - John9 on 23/11/2008 14:59:34

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  19:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I noticed this slightly unusual (and heartwarming) report this morning. It is especially fascinating to read what the Vatican now thinks of the White Album on its 40th anniversary :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7744282.stm

The accompanying video clip (from 1966) is really interesting as well - featuring a young looking Charles Wheeler. He went on to become one of the greatest ever news reporters ....working right up to his death this last July - he was 85.

Pretty cool, J9. I remember the controversy. Couldn't figure out what the big deal was. It WAS true, after all. Glad to see the Vatican lightening up....a little. Was it in North Carolina where a priest said he won't grant absolution (or some, obscure to me, Catholic rite) to any church member that had voted for Obama! Geeze! Get a life.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2008 :  15:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow..better late than never over that row, eh? When that happened I came to see how pop stars and celebrities' opinions impinge on the culture. Oh man all those albums that got destroyed if we can recall..they were dumping beatles records in bonfires!...it was like they were consigned to hell and damnation for the remarks!....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2008 :  10:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Further to all this, I have just heard an amazing Radio 2 documentary on the 'White Album'. You can find it here - although you have to listen to 60 seconds of last Saturday's travel news first:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/documentaries/whitealbum.shtml

I think that along with Forever Changes, the 'White Album' provides an eerily effective soundtrack to the chaos, uncertainty and excitement that was 1968.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page