Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Soundtrack of the Times--Deja Vu all over again.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  17:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

You know lk maybe you should write a book on why the Beatles have had staying power as rather those Manchester guys "Freddie and the Dreamers!" Tuneful but just not enough legs to jump the time, right? The Beatles well at least for me encompass a varied approach to a musical world. Living in a seaport town like 'Pool had its advantages. They really took everything in and redid it in an "English" way. Their work embodied rock, country,blues,Brit dance hall,classical and other stuff. And I'd agree "She Loves You" was some tune when it first came out. Rock was moved up a notch and they did it again with Pepper and Revolver..."When I was a boy everything was right...everything was right". Lennon, was he a philosopher or what?

Thanks rocker. At first i thought you were giving me the ol, "hey, you think you know so much, write a book", and I do go on...but thanks. People do fail to realize the roots of the Bealtes go deep & like many blues artists they paid their dues. You can't fake the blues, and being in a cover band in the 60', I know you can't fake the Beatles....you either are or you ain't!! The Beatles made all those musical forms so much their own, without imitation, that we take for granted the Beatle's sound.

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  02:57:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This particular forum is leading me directly to Monty Python's
"Argument Clinic." No it isn't! It is too...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  21:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to move on to new bands....the above thread is getting tired.....

The BYRDS are another band that will always take me back to the 60's. Hearing Mr Tambourine Man for the first time was truly amazing. It still is....& Eight Miles High!!! That was a real BLAST!!

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  23:53:34  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

I think any band is a "product of their times". And luck. And talent. Those who didn't have the talent to sustain their promotion, faded away. For example...Dave Clark Five. They had the chance & luck to be the "Bealtes" famewise, but just could not sustain the creative output. Herman's Hermits were huge, but who plays that fluff anymore. You could say that each decade had it's "lucky bands". The Clash were just as lucky that the 70's was a decade of disillusionment & rejection of flower power...a kind of deconstructionism. The Clash don't get the play the Beatles do today (of course they never did). Bee Gees were lucky that the 80's were about materialism & disco. And so on. The Beatles endured all the changes, and Dylan, Love & a few others. The Beatles weren't lucky, totally. They didn't just fall into fame. They worked they asses of for years in dives, honing they craft, until people"got it". If they didn't have it, it couldn't have been sold. It was a different world back them. But bands like the Beatles didn't just live in the times, they helped to create those times; the 60's were a balnk slate....they wrote on it & well. Later generations have had to fit in the slots, more or less, now they are again trying to break out, like we did in the 60's. Nowadays a "star" from "Idol" is ridiculously successful, solely on promotion. No way you can put the Beatles in that "luck & promotion" slot!!

We will always agree to disagree, caryne, and for that I am grateful. But there are a huge number of kids today that, in spite of what the music industry is trying push on them, they still go back instinctively to the Beatles and Love and the great 60's music. Not the Clash, not Iggy, not Bee Gees, but to what touches their deep youthful soul, just like it did for us way back when. We didn't give a damn about promotion (which was in it's infancy...not like the machine today), the first time we heard She Loves You it we knew something wonderful was happening. Probably like the first time you heard The Clash or Iggy.

By the way, even She Loves You was revolutionary. It was the first pop tune to start with the refrain...never been done before. Small now, but a huge creative leap. One of many that is just taken for granted today because everyone copies them The influence is immeasurable,
all have expressed they indebtedness, from Dylan to REM, to The Pretties. Leonard Berstein called "She Said, She Said" the greatest modern song ever written. Those kind of things are not thrown out lightly.

Time will out....but I fear you & I, caryne, will never agree, but let's never stop talking!!

ok.......... thanks for the time slot...I'm done...stick a fork in me.

Well, lk, maybe you know different kids to me but I have three (24, 22 and 16) of my own and they and their friends still listen to lots of 'punk' (both old and new) including Iggy, The Clash, etc, etc, but I don't know any of them that listen to The Beatles. I've also worked as a teacher with teenagers for years and I think I can state whilst many know and like punk, I've never met any who like The Beatles. All I can speak from is my own experience.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  20:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil Young

Neil has been doing the sound track of my life since 1966 with Buffalo Springfield & then as...
Neil--solo. He hasn't stopped; right up until today. I don't know, when he stops the reason will likely be his passing. Maybe my sound track will end when the world has changed so much that I can no longer listen to Neil......can't imagine life without Neil. When the music's over..........

Don't know of any artist that has been so consistently influential ...so true to himself & so true to his music. He just keeps ticking.

Has any artist been such a constant in your life for ....40 years ---- for any of you guys?

Edited by - lemonade kid on 22/11/2008 20:29:24
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  01:05:26  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris Hillman. i always look forward to the next recordings!
"Country" Joe McDonald
both of them have stayed true and good!
artists like them are national treasures ,rarely seen in the press, with sparce output of new music, but i'm glad they are still with us!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page