Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  04:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Met up with Allan and Caryl here at my home during the afternoon which was nice. Got into Manhattan nice and early went to Connoly's for pints and dinner. Allan tried to raise Mike on his mobile but with no luck, so made our way to the gig. Saw Blunstone and Argent standing outside. The Town Hall was much smaller than I expected we were sat to the right near the front closest to Rusty and Johnny Echols. Anyway to cut a long story short Love came on and I could tell right away the band were playing great but the sound was bloody awful, totally underpowered, poorly balanced etc. I just couldnt sit there, no drinks no bar and a PA sound more suited to a recital in a library, even during 7and 7 is with 4 guitars. So after about 6 numbers I had had enough and decided to leave, Allan looked a bit gobsmacked as he happily filled out the set list but it just wasnt happening for me, the whole thing was about as rock and roll as John Majors underpants lol.
I dont fault the band one little bit for this but I doubt I will ever use the venue again and the sound engineer needs to be shot asap.
Plenty of other folk seemed to be quite enjoying it but for me there was just no power, immediacy or spark there so I decided to leave rather than let this gig contaminate my memory of Glasto 03.
Oh well win some loose some.

bigrubberglove
Fourth Love

188 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  06:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, your comments fascinate. I must go to bed but want a legthier discussion tomorrow. I had mixed feelings about the show. Arthur was great but less natural and freewheeling than is often the case. The formality of Town hall, the sitting by the audience and the fact they were opening up did not help. But THE biggest problem was that the band seemed a bit bored. It fell less magical that in 2002 when they absolutely stole my heart.....good night...............
Go to Top of Page

sonicbloom
First Love

2 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  07:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just registered, wanted to put in my two cents.

20 years old. Arthur was imprisoned when I first started getting into love. This was my first time ever seeing them. THe sound DID suck... but did you LOOK at town hall? It's made for comedians and speakers and broadway plays. Not four guitarists. Bad choice for a venue.

Either way, I was amazed. Arthur Lee is still the coolest cat on the planet. But I had one MAJOR problem:

WHO THE HELL WAS THAT GUITARIST AND WHO DID HE THINK HE WAS??

THe young one with the blond dreadlocks. By the time he hit his second masturbatory solo on "Signed DC", I was totally upset. And he was bouncing around during Old Man. Old man is a song that can bring me to tears... what was with the bouncing and smiling and over-the-top solos.

Granted, he was talented, but I don't think he understands that these songs mean a lot to a lot of people, and to see them portrayed in such an unfitting punk-rock style... I didn't expect that.

But hey, christ, I finally saw love. And the zombies seemed to have absolutely no soul in comparison.
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  10:48:21  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure whether Mike Randle would appreciate your appraisal of his playing, though I'm sure he'll be pleased to be called 'young'

Anyway he's been Arthur's lead guitarist since 1993 and if Arthur didn't like the way he played, he would have sacked him years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Scottishkeith
Third Love

82 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  11:01:53  Show Profile  Visit Scottishkeith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the sound quality Larry , it's always the same when you look forward to something innit?

I've seen the guys more than 20 times over the past couple of years and to be honest the sound's only been bad on a couple of occassions.

Sometimes due to the hired equipment but other times due to the venue.There appears to be a tendancy to pick relatively obscure venues , which is OK if you are trying to reach the masses , but if it's not built for the "Horsemen of the Apocalypse" sound then they should forget it.

Now the post about Mike jumping around , well welcome to the new Love Sonic. It's been like this for a couple of years now.

Mike's a great guitarist and also a showmen so he simply does his thing. I'm sure if arthur wasn't happy he'd tell him

So the main thing is really will we ever see Mr.Echolls in the UK?
I suppose he'd need to get a passport first.
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  16:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well guys, I was there and I wandered down the aisle to see if anyone from the board was there but I guess no one recognized me. I did say "Hi" to Scottish Keith and my daughter bought a way too big but adorable LOVE t-shirt w/a picture of Arthur which she put on immediately. I have to say this little 11 year old rocker looked really cute! I bought a hooded sweatshirt which I thought was just the "thing" when I bought it last night , but now I see it doesn't really look that good on me...oh well.

Ok, the concert. As you all know, this was my first time to see LOVE and Arthur. Well, I thought it was great! I did notice that Arthur did do some "somewhat" corny things with the songs. Here's the deal with his songs--they DON'T NEED ANY HISTRIONICS WHATSOEVER! Arthur's voice is great, he appears to be in great shape, all he needs to do is keep *feeling* these songs--the lyrics will carry the day. My daughter said that some of the gestures he made--pointing etc. are sometimes things vocalists need to do to remember the lyrics etc. Maybe, but I guess I'm just too used to jazz artists who only need the song and great musicians to back them up. Please, Arthur, don't cornball the lyrics up by making topical references like Martha Stewart etc. I mean, come on, those simple lyrics "Who will it be tomorrow, you or me" are so powerful. Let the power be FELT!!

I thought Arthur was superb though--beautiful, beautiful harmonica playing on "Signed D.C." This is a cat who is not afraid of the blues. He's clearly a charismatic, dynamic performer and still is relevent and beautiful and wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

I would give, what, my right arm (ok, my left) to see him in an intimate jazz club like setting. FWIW, I thought the sound was ok for Love's set.

Ok, the rest of the band. I thought Mike was great!!! I love that gorgeous Gibson he has! Mike has a great chops, a lot of soul and I think he feels these songs. How old is he--he looks young to me! I thought his solos were fabulous--they were technically beautiful, not cliched and had a dramatic arc. I think he's a monster and I told him that. Even my daughter thought he was great and her standards are incredibly high!

Ok, afterwards, Liz and I hung out by the stage door as she really wanted to get her "Forever Changes" cd signed. Yes, I had to buy her her very own copy. Well, naturally the security guy wouldn't let us go through. We did see Mike in the lobby though and he was very sweet. I told him how much I liked his playing and that I read his diary and he signed my daughter's cd. We hung around for awhile as she really wanted to see AL but we had to go back because the Zombies were starting. From the stage AL had announced that his cousin was in the audience and he told her to go backstage after the show so I'm sure he was hanging with her catching up on old times.

Liz and I took one last look outside and there was Johnny Echols! He was a real sweetie! We told him how much we enjoyed him and I told him that Liz was a guitarist so he gave her a pick! He signed her cd too. We talked a little bit about where they would be in the near future and he said they were recording or had recorded a new album and they would tour again next Spring. Yeah!!!!!!!!

I really wish we could have hung with the cats (as we call it). I and my girls are so used to that because I know so many jazz musicians and at the club or concert we just hang with them and talk about music. It's so different with the "rock" thing.

We saw the big tour bus the group was traveling in, now I don't feel so bad that the band had to stay in the bus in Greeley, Colorado.

Do you all want to hear about Zombies? What a disappointment. They were off-key, wrong tempo for "She's Not There". Colin was strange--doing these little wimpy looking "groovin'" movements. The band--ok, but never really too on until the encore--an actually very nice rendition of "Summertime".

Edited by - jazzy mary on 14/10/2004 18:06:58
Go to Top of Page

Scottishkeith
Third Love

82 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  16:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Scottishkeith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Jazzy Mary I might have been there in spirit but certainly not in person. Fraid I was back in the UK while all you folks were enjoying yourselves. Must have been some other Scottish disciple.

Mr. Randle's white Gibson was formerly Jackson Brown's ,he sold it to Mike for a real knock down price. Mike was , and still is, over the moon with it.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  17:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, that's totally bizaare, because there was a post somewhere on this board telling people to say "Hi" to him, so I said "Hi" to him and he said he hadn't posted that but he didn't say he wasn't Scottish Keith plus he had a Scottish accent! I'm totally confused now.

Yes, that Gibson is wonderful. My daughter wants one so badly!!!!!!!!!

Edited by - jazzy mary on 14/10/2004 17:18:20
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  18:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not a rock critic or musician, but here's what I thought and felt about the Town Hall concert. The show started very promptly and professionally, and my first thoughts were that this might be a very
routine performance. Early on, Arthur made mention of Johnny Echols,
and you could see how happy and exuberant he was to have him there.
Yes the acoustics were not quite right and I have heard Arthur's voice sound more melodious, but I wasn't going anywhere.

I particularly enjoyed Arthur's band introductions, as he seemed to do it with great pride and happiness and respect, especially for Mr.
Mike Randle. The music was very enjoyable, upbeat and animated and I
was glad to hear a few non FC songs. Its almost as if Arthur was on good behavior, no rude remarks or insults, things which make Arthur
Arthur.

After the show I shook hands with Mike(outside) and thanked him for the personal emails he has sent me. I overheard him talking about what to eat and that he had seen so many ups and downs of Arthur,and tonite Arthur was very up.

Inside I was surprised to see Arthur at the souvenir table signing and chatting. I introduced myself, got his autograph, and then went back for a picture. Let me tell you Arthur was so gracious, personable, likeable and happy. He got up and I now have a picture of myself, Arthur, my son, and Johnny Echols. So this was a very worthwhile and enjoyable evening.

And don't walk out on the Zombies. I thought they were very talented, and very likeable guys, as they had a great rapport with the audience.
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  18:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no!!!!!!!! I AM NOT going to tell my daughter that AL was at the souvenir table. She'll be soooo upset! How could we not have seen him!! When was this??? I am distraught! I saw Mike leave.

markk, did you really think the Zombies were good??? Yes, personable and likeable but I was quite disappointed. I agree completely with your LOVE review.
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  19:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary,
Probably right around when the Zombies started, Arthur was at the
table, without much of a crowd. I just couldn't get over how humble
and obliging he was. Yeah, Colin of the Zombies was strange, almost like some Shakespearian actor. I was familiar with the Tim Hardin
song they did, and all and all I liked them and thought their lead guitarist did a good job.
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  19:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel ill. Yes, it seems to me AL is a great guy!
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  19:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caryl and I finally got set straight on the workings of Queens, NY. Can you believe, for example, there's a 67th Ave, 67th Rd, and 67th Dr that seem to hit you from the left and the right. We spent a couple hours with Mr. and Mrs LarryNYC, and it was great. They are fine people...I expected that.

After some pints and food at Connolly's, I tried to reach Mike on his cell, but wasn't successful. I was really looking forward to that, but the band was still sound checking even at 7:00 P.M. [I heard them through the stage door].

So, this is my first time for seeing Arthur.

I thought Arthur and the band looked great...they seemed quite relaxed. Johnny acted and played like he belongs there. Mr. Echols is a musician. I've always felt that the perfect compliment of having 2 lead guitarists is when one doesn't try to out-do the other. Mike and Johnny absolutely complimented each other.

I will agree with Larry that the sound of the venue doesn't ressonate. The venue is mostly concrete and not much for accoustics. It's like the sound hits a concrete wall, literally.

I loved the band and the concert. Arthur was personable and even funny at times. The band seemed very relaxed. Mike was awesome as he showed his command of his guitar. Chapple and Daddyo were just non-stop. Rusty does seem to be the one that keeps the whole thing going, in his own way. That's a bit hard to describe...it's just the leadership thing with Rusty is so subtle, yet so present. Arthur sounded great. Johnny even joined Rusty a tad on some backing vocals. After waiting for weeks for this, I was totally pleased and happy!!!

I stuck around for maybe 4 Zombies songs. Colin's voice is superb. I know this sounds biased, but I really feel that The Zombies should have been the opening act. But then again, I only stayed for 4 songs, then walked to the merchandise booth.

Arthur and Johnny were there. I did get to shake both of their hands. They both were very gracious to their fans. As mysterious as Arthur can be, on this night he was genuinely relaxed, looked great, and appeared to be really enjoying himself.

Later on today, I'll be going to the Collingswood, NJ gig. I'll bring my camera this time and hope to get some pics. I'll also bring my FC LP cover, and try to get some autographs. I'm just as pumped today as I was yesterday

Here's a few notes I took while scribing the set list...

A House Is Not A Motel-Arthur did a very nice harmonica solo.

Old Man-Arthur took off his hat, then he took off his glasses. His voice was wonderful.

Your Mind And We Belong Together-Johnny did the lead guitar

Signed DC-Just an incredible version. It was SO bluesy. Johnny took first lead. Then Mike took lead. And in the middle, more great harmonica from Arthur

Set List

-A House Is Not A Motel
-Alone Again Or
-7 and 7 is
-Old Man
-Bummer In The Summer
-You Set The Scene
-Red Telephone
-Your Mind And We Belong Together
-Signed DC
-My Flash On You
-Orange Skies
-Live And Let Live
-Singing Cowboy
-Little Red Book
-Between Clark And Hilldale

Go to Top of Page

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  20:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Allan!
It was great night.
Go to Top of Page

MikeValentine@aol.com
First Love

1 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  21:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you must be mad not to have totally experienced and immersed yourself in Arthur Lee's genius. Think for a minute, the man has been around for over 40 years, could YOU do as well. I thought the concert to be a great success and I only wish Bob Dylan sounded as good as Arthur Lee.
The only negative thing I can say is I missed the trumpet solo on "Alone Again Or". I loved it even without the trumpet solo.
The Zombies however, really bit the big one!
Go to Top of Page

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  23:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jazzy mary

I feel ill. Yes, it seems to me AL is a great guy!

Hi Jazzy, That was me with the top hat & my son.
Good to see you there.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page