mystery trumpet in annapolis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dyecraig
Fourth Love

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2004 :  04:20:15  Show Profile  Visit dyecraig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wild but true - I went to the 10/16 show at the State in Falls Church and was down front - amazing that Mike can pull off all those horn and string lines from his guitar. I spoke to him after and told him how much I liked his "trumpet solo" on "Alone Again Or" and we got to talking. I'm a freelance trumpet player in the DC area and I also teach middle school band (my real job). Mike said that if a trumpet player can make the sound check and play the solo, if the band digs it they would let him play it in the show. Wow, what an opportunity. "So, where's the next show?" Tomorrow in Annapolis. MD at the Ram's Head Tavern. Well, needless to say I did'nt get much sleep that night. Got up early on Sunday, slapped on FC and got to work. It's not terribly difficult, but you definitely want to nail it. Drove over there in the afternoon and the guys were all chillin' watching the playoffs. Mike jumps up and I guess he mentioned it to the band earlier, so they were expecting me. About an hour later, Mike comes up with his beautiful white unplugged Gibson and we try it out (I used a mute) - the place went silent (band, crew, a few waitstaff), then bust out laughing and cheering when we finished. After everyone was "plugged", we ran through it. Yes, I was nervous - I mean, this is a classic solo and you simply cannnot hit any "clams" (as we were in MD, Mike told me I could not hit any "crabs"!) It went well enough for them to tell me the gig was at 7 and it was the 2nd tune of the set. So I had about 2 hours to kill and the guys let me hang w/them. They are all just great, down-to-earth folks w/hilarious stories - it was a blast. About 15 minutes to showtime, Arthur came off the bus and walks right up to me and gave me a few encouraging words - nice of him. They started w/House and I'm standing at the board withe the crew (all great folks) and they begin "Alone" - my knees are going nuts! They start the interlude before the solo and I make my way from the kitchen to the stage - please no forks in my path...I get up there and hit it on cue and honestly I totally nailed it. The sound on stage was fantastic and I could hear myself well enough. At the end I heard a roar, bowed and tapped Arthur on the shoulder and made my way back to the kitchen. I was a member of Love for 30 seconds! But it was one of the most amazing musical experiences of my life. Back at the sound board, high-fives all around and I just enjoyed the rest of the show. Later I said my goodbyes and the band and Arthur seemed so appreciative - it was too much!
The next day at school was LOVEDAY - I played my band students the original recording, told the band history, my 30 seconds of fame and then of course they MADE me play it live. Sales of Love CDs are really going to spike up in Manassas, VA.
Thanks to Mike and Co. for letting me live a dream...

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2004 :  04:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great story thanks for sharing it with us. Something to tell the grandkids eh LOL.
Go to Top of Page

ryan
First Love

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2004 :  08:50:35  Show Profile  Visit ryan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw you there in Annapolis. You really did nail that solo. One of the highlights of the night. I'm going to practice the flute part to "She Comes in Colors". Maybe next time they come around I'll get my big chance.
Go to Top of Page

Gill
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2004 :  10:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a wonderful story. It must have been a dream come true for you and how great that the band made you so welcome. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Love
Gill
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2004 :  13:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrific story dyecraig, thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2004 :  14:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harpsichord lessons anyone ? You never know The Castle might get resurrected. Like others I would love to see a Da Capo show.
Go to Top of Page

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2004 :  17:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LarryNYC

Harpsichord lessons anyone ? You never know The Castle might get resurrected. Like others I would love to see a Da Capo show.

I'm with you there Larry, a Da Capo show would be great.
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2004 :  17:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dyecraig, that is a wonderful story!!!! What a thrill!! Do you play jazz in the D.C. area. Do you know the bassist James King?
Go to Top of Page

dyecraig
Fourth Love

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2004 :  21:25:55  Show Profile  Visit dyecraig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan

I saw you there in Annapolis. You really did nail that solo. One of the highlights of the night. I'm going to practice the flute part to "She Comes in Colors". Maybe next time they come around I'll get my big chance.

Hey thanks! What about the flute part to "Orange Skies"? Now that would something to work on!
Go to Top of Page

Fritz
First Love

15 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2004 :  13:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely wonderful story! Ah, to be a LOVE member for 30 seconds. Thanks so much for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2004 :  17:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool story. I know how I felt just meeting Arthur and getting his autograph on my FC LP cover...treasure the moment! Do you have a recording of your performance? We would all LOVE to hear it.
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  17:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dyecraig, you should read Mike's newest diary entry pronto. I think it'll make you very happy!!! Mike is such a sweetie!!

dyecraig, so, you're a trumpet player. Are you hip to the most beautiful, wonderful, extraordinary trumpet player, Ron Horton?

Also, I'm sure you must love Tom Harrell? I like Steve Bernstein personally, he's a very nice, sweet guy but I'm not too crazy about his style of playing. Are you hip to Malachi Thompson? He's fabulous too.

Go to Top of Page

dyecraig
Fourth Love

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  05:41:48  Show Profile  Visit dyecraig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jazzy mary

dyecraig, you should read Mike's newest diary entry pronto. I think it'll make you very happy!!! Mike is such a sweetie!!

dyecraig, so, you're a trumpet player. Are you hip to the most beautiful, wonderful, extraordinary trumpet player, Ron Horton?

Also, I'm sure you must love Tom Harrell? I like Steve Bernstein personally, he's a very nice, sweet guy but I'm not too crazy about his style of playing. Are you hip to Malachi Thompson? He's fabulous too.

Yes, I saw Mike's diary - I sent him some pics, so hopefully he'll put those up sometime. I've not heard of Ron Horton - I guess I'll have to check him out. Tom Harrell is incredible - to hear/see him live is so inspiring. I met Steve Bernstein at the Kennedy Center w/Sex Mob opening for Los Lobos (!). You have to admit that slide trumpet is pretty cool, though. Malachi Thompson, Lester Bowie (r.i.p.), Olu Dara and Wadada Leo Smith (his "Yo Miles!" is one of my top discs) - all faves.
Side note - have you heard Calexico - unclassifiable band from Tucson, AZ? They do a cover of "Alone Again Or" on their "Convict Pool" ep w/a genuine mariachi flavor!
Go to Top of Page

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  08:51:08  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dyecraig
If you have some pictures I would gladly put these up on my site.
Just mail them to me.
I would also like to include your story on my review page of the show.
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  17:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dyecraig, If you see Steven Bernstein again, ask him about Ron. They're friends. Check out Ron's playing on some of Allan Chase's cds. Also, with the Jazz Collective's cds of Herbie Nichols' music. To see Tom Harrell perform is just and amazingly deep, soulful, spiritual experience. I do *not* miss him when he's in town. I got to meet him too! He was playing at the Blue Note in New York w/ Charles McPherson and an ex-boyfriend of mine (but still very good friend) was the bassist on the gig. So, while we were hanging out in the dressing room talking to Charles, Tom came in. I almost died because Tom is an ABSOLUTE HERO to me. I wasn't sure how'd he'd be because you never know. For those who don't know about Tom he suffers from schizophrenia and is heavily medicated. And he has his good adays and his not so good days. But he happens to be a BRILLIANT trumpet player, composer and arranger. Well, it was amazing to see him talking with Charles about the music and then Charles introduced me and he was an utter gentleman, shaking my hand, saying nice things etc. I was so thrilled. I love Tom. His album "Paradise" is BRILLIANT!

Hey dyecraig, my fave trumpet player of all time is Freddie Hubbard (yes, I like him even better than Lee Morgan, to me he has all of Lee's greasiness and soul plus the most amazing chops to boot and then some!) It is a shame how he's not doing so well now. But, I have to love him for all he WAS and what he's given to this music. He is a giant!

I haven't heard of Calexico, but I sure wouldn't object if you sent me their cd!! :-)

Edited by - jazzy mary on 02/11/2004 17:03:38
Go to Top of Page

ryan
First Love

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  10:08:14  Show Profile  Visit ryan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dyecraig
Hey thanks! What about the flute part to "Orange Skies"? Now that would something to work on!

I've pretty well got the flute part to "She Comes in Colors". Just a matter of practice now to get up the speed and precision. I agree with you about the "Orange Skies" flute part. Sounds a bit more involved but I will attempt it at some point.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page