Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 130

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  14:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx Mike I'll be checking that one out...
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  21:33:07  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who's next

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

MHM
Third Love

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  22:12:06  Show Profile  Visit MHM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A CD I got recently which has been played an awful lot is Billy Nicholls 'Would You Believe' but not the main album, the extra CD you get of demos with the reissue, great!

Recent buys:
Coltrane - My Favourite Things
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Child Is Father To The Man
Soft Machine - Vol. 1 & 2
Dragonfly
Action - Rolled Gold
Kaleidoscope - BBC Sessions (their album with Room of Percussion etc is great!)
Grateful Dead- Anthem of the Sun (just to have it on CD, always enjoyed this)
Jefferson Airplane - 1st two, Takes Off & Surrealistic Pillow, both great and both have tons of great extras.

Find some clips of the ones you don't know on the web and see what you think. All good stuff, Lullaby Letter by Soft Machine is tops, as is I Can't Quit Her off B,S & T's album.

Your thoughts on any of this stuff?

Best

Chris

www.BryanMacLean.com www.Mandrakes.org www.MileHighMusic.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  02:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert Wyatt - 'Theatre Royal Drury Lane'
Just bought this today. Released last year, its a recording of his first gig after his injury in '74, only now getting an official release. Guest artists include Nick Mason and Mike Oldfield, and it includes a complete live airing of his 'Rock Bottom' album, one of the ones that I would HAVE to have on a desert island. Initial impressions of this one: MMM. That the sound quality falls off towards the end doesn't matter as the content is so strong, and to see my three young daughters dancing madly round to a great version of 'I'm A Believer' has already made me decide to give it a permanent home. One of those records that make me grin. Buy - and 'Rock Bottom' too, if you haven't got it. Intelligent and human music.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  17:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike...just picked up DB's LUNIT...looking forward to hearing it...
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  00:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope I haven't caused you to waste your money, Rocker. I first heard it when I went in to a record shop and it as playing. I did not realise it was DB, just went to the counter and bought it on the spot. One of those moments when you chance upon a piece of music that matches your mood. No regrets. Hope you likewise.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
547 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  02:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MHM

A CD I got recently which has been played an awful lot is Billy Nicholls 'Would You Believe' but not the main album, the extra CD you get of demos with the reissue, great!

Recent buys:
Coltrane - My Favourite Things - cool jazz and amassive influence on Jerry Garcia so can't be bad!!
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Child Is Father To The Man - don't have it, but have half of it on a 2CD compilation - why
Soft Machine - Vol. 1 & 2 - - excellent twofer, though I have to admit preferringthe first one
Dragonfly - by Jefferson Starship or by The Strawbs?? Either way, two of my fave discs by either band
Action - Rolled Gold - not got it, but a mate had an old vinyl best of, back in the days when we used to go to mod revival gigs.
Kaleidoscope - BBC Sessions (their album with Room of Percussion etc is great!) Every thing they did was magical. Hugely underrated - get the Fairfield Parlour album too - in my top ten albums of all time.
Grateful Dead- Anthem of the Sun (just to have it on CD, always enjoyed this) Nuff said!!
Jefferson Airplane - 1st two, Takes Off & Surrealistic Pillow, both great and both have tons of great extras. Doh!!

Find some clips of the ones you don't know on the web and see what you think. All good stuff, Lullaby Letter by Soft Machine is tops, as is I Can't Quit Her off B,S & T's album.

Your thoughts on any of this stuff?

Best

Chris

www.BryanMacLean.com www.Mandrakes.org www.MileHighMusic.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  18:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pretty Things - 40th Anniversary - Live In Brighton. Recently released DVD and audio CD set. Just arrived in the post this morning. Great stuff. http://www.play.com/Music/MusicDVD/4-/1720542/The_Pretty_Things_40th_Anniversary_Live/Product.html
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  15:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MikeP..LUNIT...very good..I liked the music...kind of reminded me at times of Eno's work with a little Philip Glass thrown in there...more hearings will be done!.....
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  16:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Stooges and Fun House...
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  04:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you like LUNIT, Rocker..trust my John Martyn tips and get buying!
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  13:29:12  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Undertakers - Unearthed

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

BobbyFischer
Fifth Love

Norway
440 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  19:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marit Larsen-In came the light
Go to Top of Page

BobbyFischer
Fifth Love