Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 what you all listening to right now??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 123

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2006 :  08:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Checking out a newer find for me, a band out of NYC called Apollo Heights. They are in a similar vain as TV On the Radio, but with a more diverse sound as they have been around longer. Check out their MySpace, I was impressed.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

Bangladesh
670 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2006 :  13:52:01  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just heard a new band called 'the fratellis'...song called 'creeping up the back stairs'...its amazing!! If you like a bit of punk or bands like the libertines you'll love this. You can listen to it at www.thefratellis.com its definitely worth it.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2006 :  20:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tago Mago - Can
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2006 :  20:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a minah menina
makes you wanna shimmy round the living room
hey does any one else have fly jefferson airplane dvd? I got it yesterday and has some amazing footage of inside the SF ballrooms like the fillmore etc.
worth a look if thats your bag
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2006 :  22:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jellybean

a minah menina
makes you wanna shimmy round the living room
hey does any one else have fly jefferson airplane dvd? I got it yesterday and has some amazing footage of inside the SF ballrooms like the fillmore etc.
worth a look if thats your bag



I've got it on me Amazon wishlist.

Other than the Fillmore footage, what's it like?
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2006 :  17:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love Spit Love....and DEMON DAYS by The Gorillaz
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2006 :  18:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its good caljam, has footage of the first singer signe anderson singing with the band and other unreleased pictures. I enjoyed the rooftop live show of the house at pooneil corner, then the police took poor old marty away hehe
A definate purchase for a JA fan.
Just finished reading waiting for the sun:strange days, weirds scenes and the sounds of LA by Barney Hoskyns, Has some nice Love stuff in there as well as doors stuff..got a bit bored by the end though
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2006 :  18:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jellybean

its good caljam, has footage of the first singer signe anderson singing with the band and other unreleased pictures. I enjoyed the rooftop live show of the house at pooneil corner, then the police took poor old marty away hehe
A definate purchase for a JA fan.
Just finished reading waiting for the sun:strange days, weirds scenes and the sounds of LA by Barney Hoskyns, Has some nice Love stuff in there as well as doors stuff..got a bit bored by the end though



Ha...I read that book last year!

I thought it was fabulous, but I do agree that the ending is not as interesting. After the 70s end, Barney kinda loses a bit of interest in his own subject, I think. He spends more time writing about The Chocolate Watch Band in 1966, then he does about Motley Crue and Guns & Roses! :)

Will pick up that JA DVD soon. Sounds like my cup of tea!

Cheers,
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2006 :  03:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I finally got a Baby Lemonade album. I have been listening to Exploring Music. Not bad, not really my bag, I can totally see The Beach Boys aspect of their music. I am giving it many listens however. It does remind me of better days while living in California in the 1990's.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
532 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2006 :  08:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Jam
He spends more time writing about The Chocolate Watch Band in 1966, then he does about Motley Crue and Guns & Roses! :)
Cheers,



I think CWB is far more interesting!!

Glad you finally got to hear some BL, Thomas. You need to get 68% Pure Imagination though - it has the You Set The Scene cover version on it. However, I think The High Life Suite may be your bag if you can track it down.

Edited by - boombox on 31/03/2006 08:31:10
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2006 :  08:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the 68% coming in the mail via the eBay. I am looking forward to that one. Does their cover of Your Mind and We Belong Together appear on anything or Feathered Fish ?

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2006 :  12:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeh have to admit i'd rather read about CWB although I did have a crush on slash when i was younger which is odd as I don't think I ever saw his face, just a mass of hair with a fag sticking out!
cal jam, have you read hotel california- singer songwriters and cocaine cowboys in the LA canyons 67-76? another by Barney Hoskyns quite a good book. I've just tracked down a book by eve babitz called eve's hollywood, anyone heard of it?? getting it sent from US, its a kinda memoir of her times in LA in the 60's shagging rock stars and propping up bars in the troubadour and whiskey etc
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  00:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jellybean

yeh have to admit i'd rather read about CWB although I did have a crush on slash when i was younger which is odd as I don't think I ever saw his face, just a mass of hair with a fag sticking out!
cal jam, have you read hotel california- singer songwriters and cocaine cowboys in the LA canyons 67-76? another by Barney Hoskyns quite a good book. I've just tracked down a book by eve babitz called eve's hollywood, anyone heard of it?? getting it sent from US, its a kinda memoir of her times in LA in the 60's shagging rock stars and propping up bars in the troubadour and whiskey etc



I'd much rather read about the Watch Band too. One of my fave bands from that era.

Not read that Hotel California, but it looks like something I'd enjoy! The only other Hoskyns books I've read are Beneath the Diamond Sky and the Arthur Lee biog.

So that's the Airplane DVD and the Hotel California book! I gotta stop talking to you - you're costing me money!
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  03:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The Ponsonby DCs !

One of kdion11's old bands. Pretty cool stuff, it has a very Lou Reed influence in the vocals.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry cal jam
i'll mention somemore good stuff in a few weeks, when your bank balance has calmed back down
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 123 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06