Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  09:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I was thinking...has any band produced such a powerful effect and such a loyal following almost forty years(!) later from so few songs? For most of us we're talking about twenty tracks (all of FC and Da Capo, and parts of the 1st album and Four Sail. The one thing I wish is that the original band was as prolific as the Beatles during that '66 to '69 period. Could you image a Love-style White Album? Just a few more tracks for the ages is all I ask.

Michael Young

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  17:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what my old thread about closure and the changing the course of their history was all about.

I just wonder what if Arthur Lee had allowed Bryan MacLean to put two more songs on the first album ? You know he didn't allow him to really put all of his better compositions out there, so that first album could have been even stronger.

As for Da Capo, just imagine Feathered Fish along with three other MacLean tracks. I know Arthur could have written two more, and then a shortened version of Revelation.

Not to mention had Gethsemane been completed not only giving Laughing Stock, and Your Mind and We Belong Together a home, but also giving us another champion album, that would have freed the guys from Elektra thusly there would be no Four Sail album, just a more awesome Out Here album.

-Thomas Galasso
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  19:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael-Velvet Underground, The Yardbirds, and Spirit does the same for me. Their music is timeless.

Yardbirds do have a larger catalog to pull from of course, but I continually go back to them for their music...especially the Beck era.

Allan
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  20:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allan- You're talking my language. I must admit, though, I have yet to really check out 'ol Spirit and Randy California. Gonna do that today. As for VU, I think I've had Peel Slowly and See (their box set ) in my stereo for about five years now.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2006 :  02:32:25  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I roadied for Love and the Yardbirds. Give me the Yardies anytime. Arthur was always a bit difficult you never new what you were going to get and his attitude to his audiences in 74 was pretty bad.He short setted several times but all this could be because most of the tour he was out of his head on something. The Yardbirds just got on with it, one gig they were getting (small) electric shocks from the microphones which can be very distracting and did not walk off but waited until I had found a cure by wiring all the earths to the heating system pipes and trusted me to get it right and got on with the show. They wanted to play and let the people hear the music.
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2006 :  12:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
harvey...I'd love to hear some stories about The Yardbirds. I'm particularly fond of the Jeff Beck era. Ironically in the mid 60's, my favorite groups were LOVE, The Yardbirds and the Birds...my top 3 favorite bands ever. Remember the movie Blow Up...Antonioni. That last scene where The Yardbirds are ravin'...with Beck and Page on stage together-monumental. Beck is also flustered with the sound -throwing his guitar and having hissy fit and all. To me, that's innocence lost. They were all such excellent musicians. Pioneers in the industry-absolutely! I love BBC Sessions. I also have The Yardbirds:The ultimate Rave Up by Greg Russo.

Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  02:11:36  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

harvey...I'd love to hear some stories about The Yardbirds. I'm particularly fond of the Jeff Beck era. Ironically in the mid 60's, my favorite groups were LOVE, The Yardbirds and the Birds...my top 3 favorite bands ever. Remember the movie Blow Up...Antonioni. That last scene where The Yardbirds are ravin'...with Beck and Page on stage together-monumental. Beck is also flustered with the sound -throwing his guitar and having hissy fit and all. To me, that's innocence lost. They were all such excellent musicians. Pioneers in the industry-absolutely! I love BBC Sessions. I also have The Yardbirds:The ultimate Rave Up by Greg Russo.

Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  02:12:36  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  02:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beck is an enigma. There was nobody like Beck, then Hendrix came along
& played amazing things. Yet Beck was perhaps the most fluid, cleanest
guitarist of them all, Keith Relf added such a unique flavor to the Yardbirds
sound. I play their **** constantly, a lot more than Led Zep.
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  03:11:08  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Considering all the problems Keith had with bad Asthma it was amazing he got through gigs, he used to really struggle to breathe and was always puffing at an inhaler. His death though was very strange I talked to his sister Jane as I used to drive her home sometimes and she never understood what really happened.
Jim Mcarty was unlucky not to get the drum chair with Zep as he did a lot of work with them when they wre forming and did lots of demos of what turned out to be big hits for Zep. I suppose you heard why Led Zeppelin were so called. When Keith Moon was told that Jimmy Page was forming a band called the New Yardbirds he said "that'll go down like a Lead Zeppelin (balloon) and the name stuck. Harvey the roadie
Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  17:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harvey, wow, I had no idea about Keith's asthma. He had such a great etheral sound, nobody quite like him. Were you around when Beck & Page were sharing lead guitar duties, that must have been pretty wild.

Go to Top of Page

Ant
First Love

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  22:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have often wondered if Love wouldn't have been so overlooked had they produced more consistent albums alongside Forever Changes. Da Capo, for example has 6 fantastic songs and having listened to Bryan MacLeans excellent (and revelatory!) demos from the Ifyoubelievin album, surely albums like this would have been seen as even greater if Bryans songs were 'beefed up' with a full band and given more exposure. Songs like 'Kathleen', 'Ifyoubelievein', 'Fridays Party', and 'Fresh Hope' would have been perfect for Da Capo - so much so that it would have been the perfect sister album for FC! I think Four Sail is a fine album but spoilt a bit by the production for me which isnt clean enough. I think Out Here has several fine moments also ('Willow Willow', 'Gather Round') but its mixed in with a lot of average songs. Basically most of the other albums have several 'to-die-for' songs IMO. I think theres more classic Love songs than people think, but you need to dig deep to find some of them!
Go to Top of Page

otiselevator
Third Love

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  23:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a load of what ifs of course but I hope critics will now start to look at Arthur's career and abilities as a whole rather than just through the medium of Forever Changes. Of course he was inconsistent but every album has gems if you look hard enough. "Out Here" has quite a few, especially Gather Round. My own personal favourites include Five String Serenade and You Want Change For Your Re-Run, not to mention Feathered Fish and a shortened version of Revelation for starters. By the way does anyone else think the sax solo on Revelation is bloody marvellous? It reminds me of something I've heard by the Great Society (Grace Slick's original band?) Surely there must be some Live recordings of the original band somewhere?
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  23:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen folks write off Revelation as, "a waste of side B," not me. It caught my ear in '66, and still has it. The sax IS great! The huffing and puffing and, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah," with the psychedelic style instrumentation moving around; back in the day when the grass was green, and so were we, it was a fine, fun piece!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  23:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lee,
I tend to agree. I don't play "Revelation" very often, but when I do, it's a complete gas (as we used to say, way back when)!
All the best, John E
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  01:00:14  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ZFARRAR Its the best situation to get the best out of both guitarists in a band. Set up two guys who do not like each other and who hardly talk and let them try and blow each other off the stage.Never fails. It did them both a lot of favours in the future, if they had not clashed would they stil be doing their old jobs. Page was just a session guitarist though when I was at school with him(but a few years younger) he was being interviewed on tv in school uniform about his initial success as a guitar player. Our old maths teacher used to laugh at him playing guitar for famous pop bands and they got all the money and fame. Dont know actually where Beck first appeared from.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page