Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tmittelstadt
Third Love

63 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  04:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laughing Stock is an incredibly brillaint tune.

This may sound dumb, but it's almost like a precursor to rap. They almost sampled their own song when they play the parts from a previous song. Has this ever been discussed here? I've always thought that was so damn clever.
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  12:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

It's gotta be "Laughing Stock" for me. Didn't John Peel play that
one 12 times in a row or something when he first got it

It's says 11 times in a row in Ken Brooks book, I remember hearing both Laughing Stock and Your Mind and We Belong Together on Top Gear but not 11 times in a row, I have always wondered whether this is an urban myth

Edited by - mikeb on 11/11/2005 12:19:09
Go to Top of Page

bigrubberglove
Fourth Love

188 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  16:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laughing Stock is brilliant. The beginning is one of the weirdest intros I have ever heard to a song but totally great.

"....Fred in Bed....."
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  19:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously, "The Red Telephone" cause of the unique melody, chord progression and generally psycho lyrics.
Let's face it, AL is nothing without his psycho-ness.
If BL couldn't see it coming sooner or later...
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2005 :  23:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a hard one !!!!!

I think it is a hard three-way tie for me with songs like :

Maybe the people would be the time or between clark and hilldale

Your Mind and we belong together

she comes in colors

but also....

I am a HUGE FAN of....

August

Laughing Stock

Singing Cowboy

Wonder People (I Do Wonder) unreleased off FC special edition

Instra-Mental

----

A verse I love off of Maybe the people would be the times is when he says "and here they always play my songs". Its so cleverly arrogant in a harmless and cool way, where we don't know if his songs are literally Love tunes or if they are just his faves or both.
Its like he is saying I love it here, and sometimes its just great to be.

As for Laughing Stock, it totally grew on me, but it reminds me of a Velvet Underground song, and the lyrics are killer. Come on people, "doing all the things I shouldn't have to do" is awesome, or "I just got out my little red..." to name check an older tune of his is ahead of its time, even though I think McCartney did it first on the Magical Mystery Tour album by mentioning his song Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

Intra-Mental is complete intrumental bliss, and I love its proggy-ness, I wish he would have done more songs like that. Just listen to that song at night and drive around the city.

Wonder People (I Do Wonder) is pure greatness, the finger picking is relentlessly great, and makes the song rise above being a Bacharach knock-off. I wish they would have included it, along with Laughing Stock, and Your Mind and We Belong Together for a Gethsemane album, and then forced Arthur into doing Four Sail, before we got Out Here.

There are more, but I have to go for now. My Flash On You is a great simply mindless garage tune as well, probably my fave alltime even more than 7 and 7 Is.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

silversurf2002
First Love

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2005 :  08:10:56  Show Profile  Visit silversurf2002's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, tricky one for sure.

Different tracks drag back the scent of wonderful times. Anything off Da Capo haunts my memory with endless summer days surfing on the coast of Australia where I live. Hazy days, new love of women and a spirit slightly left of the mainstream conscousness. I looked in my all time iTunes playlist and its Orange Skies, but thats there because it represents a feeling of a magic time, rather than a clever piece of music.(ditto the Rascals Groovin)

Forever Changes became more cerebral than emotive and almost also represented a loss of innocence. between Clarke and Hilldale was so powerful and you set the Scene so all encompassing. Always there was the pure dynamics of the band and that stunning voice of Arthurs to carry your spirit further into the great revolution and revelation of that age we were lucky to be part of.

Call me crazy, but I still think Da Capo itself is one amazing track...a superb example of the act of love itself.

If I had to take only one LOVE track to a desert island forever? ...Dunno

forever free, the sea
Go to Top of Page

silversurf2002
First Love

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2005 :  09:07:04  Show Profile  Visit silversurf2002's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, tricky one for sure.

Different tracks drag back the scent of wonderful times. Anything off Da Capo haunts my memory with endless summer days surfing on the coast of Australia where I live. Hazy days, new love of women and a spirit slightly left of the mainstream conscousness. I looked in my all time iTunes playlist and its Orange Skies, but thats there because it represents a feeling of a magic time, rather than a clever piece of music.(ditto the Rascals Groovin)

Forever Changes became more cerebral than emotive and almost also represented a loss of innocence. between Clarke and Hilldale was so powerful and you set the Scene so all encompassing. Always there was the pure dynamics of the band and that stunning voice of Arthurs to carry your spirit further into the great revolution and revelation of that age we were lucky to be part of.

Call me crazy, but I still think Da Capo itself is one amazing track...a superb example of the act of love itself.

If I had to take only one LOVE track to a desert island forever? ...Dunno

forever free, the sea
Go to Top of Page

Loov
Second Love

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2005 :  16:58:01  Show Profile  Send Loov a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice question, but hard not to resent the one-song limit. As an adult, it's Between Clark and Hilldale. As a child it was You Set the Scene.
Strange to see how much agreement there is on these. You think you own the song somehow, and then.....

Loov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page