Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

stefaan
Second Love

Belgium
45 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  23:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wouldn't surprise me at all if this topic passed the board before.
But as there are a lot new (including me) people here:

What's Your All Time Favourite Love Song, And Why Is It?
I know, it's not easy, but I'm talking about 1 SONG here.

Mine is "You Set The Scene" for sure. First I heard It In The Mid Seventies Almost Daily On The Pirate Station "Radio Caroline". Being In My Mid Teens Then It Was Such A Revalation To Me And My Then "Real LOVE". The girl is gone, But The Song Remains...

Greetz,

Stefaan

Edited by - stefaan on 10/11/2005 08:56:53

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  00:00:48  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeh if i had to name one it would be 'you set the scene' too. I just love it, and it always manages to cheer me up. I love the live version from the FC concert cd. Also a fantastic version on the glastonbury dvd, its great to see that song being played in front of a big crowd at a festival.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  01:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think mine may have to be The Castle. I've never heard anything remotely like it. Mysterioso, understated...manages to sound both ancient and timeless.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

Merlyn Merlot
Fourth Love

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  01:34:16  Show Profile  Visit Merlyn Merlot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right Now It's "I'm With You"
But this will change tomorrow
Dig!
Go to Top of Page

Phil Brauer
Third Love

90 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  02:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Daily Planet!!!
Go to Top of Page

stefaan
Second Love

Belgium
45 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  07:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kula John

yeh if i had to name one it would be 'you set the scene' too. I just love it, and it always manages to cheer me up. I love the live version from the FC concert cd. Also a fantastic version on the glastonbury dvd, its great to see that song being played in front of a big crowd at a festival.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

John, I think we're on the same wavelenght here. The versions you mention are absolutely dynamite. I saw them twice. Once at The Royal Festival Hall with the strings and horns section, and I was really knocked out then. Even my wife got the LOVE-shivers, and that means a whole lot When it comes to music, showing some emotions is all but easy for her. First time was in Utrecht (Holland) where Mike's guitar took over the horns section. Wow, man I saw a lot in my 46 years on this planet, but that evening I realised that I didn't see it all.
This is also the song that brings Forever Changes, when I'm down it takes me up, when I'm up it gives me that feeling that life can be really great!
The melody and words... a masterpiece was born when I was far too young. These days I'm glad being "only" 46, but sometimes I wish I was there then, because this was/is the time!

Greetz,

Stefaan

Edited by - stefaan on 08/11/2005 07:23:38
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  13:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
great post stefaan, i know wot you mean about wanting to be there at the time and experience the rise and beauty of FC from the very beginning. Im 22 and only discovered love through FC a couple of years ago, but i guess its better late than never. Love (and FC in particular) has opened my mind to so much more in such a short space of time.

Go to Top of Page

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  16:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Merlyn Merlot

Right Now It's "I'm With You"
But this will change tomorrow
Dig!

"I'm With You" is a great song as is "Nothing" from the same album.
"And in Manhattan I'll be walkin' down Broadway with you "
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  23:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only ONE? You're making it hard

Between Clark and Hilldale...'And here-they always play my songs'...picture The Strip and the Whiskey and the Eating Affair accross the street

It just feels like the mood of LA at the time, and especially with the Latino / Mexican sound that was prevalent in certain LA neighborhoods

Allan

Edited by - Allan on 09/11/2005 15:54:41
Go to Top of Page

tmittelstadt
Third Love

63 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  05:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's so hard to pick just one!

I'd have to go with You Set the Scene. It's just so unlike any other song I've ever heard. Plus, every time I hear it, I find myself singing it the rest of the day.
Go to Top of Page

maldurqoue
First Love

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  10:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to go with "you set the scene" too. It's the perfect coda to the album and life in general, Arthur's in particular. However, I've had 'She Comes in Colors' swirling around in my head for a few months now. Is there a cure?

Mal

Silence is a sound we hear far too little of these days.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  14:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me it's anything off Side 1 of Da Capo - probably because that was the first album I got, Stephanie being the first Love song I heard (albeit in a cover version by The Move!!) but She Comes In Colours and Orange Skies always make me sing/growl along. And as for The Castle, what an acoustic guitar part!

However, Live & Let Live is the one I always play first if I'm feeling in the mood for a Love singalong on the guitar - it must have one of the best first lines ever in the history of music. I also have to agree with the comments about You Set The Scene - fantastic album closer with that repeated brassline at the end, which Mike does SOOO well on the guitar. Will be hoping that Baby Lemonade put it back in the set again for their own gigs (it's on 68% Pure Imagination).
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  20:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah,it,s a real hard call to name one track from such a back catolouge of great tunes.
Singed D.C. Ison my player right now.
AUGUST is a great track, as are I STILL WONDER+ NICE TO BE........
But my no. 1 is...LIVE +LET LIVE (today anyway)
Go to Top of Page

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  23:17:23  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You Set the Scene :D
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  03:28:56  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
you set the scene. i and my friends stayed up all night listening to and discussing it when it first came out. the lyrics had us mesmerized, and still haunts me with its magic.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  00:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's gotta be "Laughing Stock" for me. Didn't John Peel play that
one 12 times in a row or something when he first got it ?

Free the tunes !

quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

you set the scene. i and my friends stayed up all night listening to and discussing it when it first came out. the lyrics had us mesmerized, and still haunts me with its magic.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page