Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

maldurqoue
First Love

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2005 :  10:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim Dude,

A little alarm went off when you mentioned elk hunting, I mean I'd be impressed if the elk were similarly armed as you...but getting to my point, you dishonor AL and Love by comparing them to that raving right wing lunatic Michael Savage (real name Michael Weiner) who's provided the world with such positivity as saying on the air he wished that a gay caller on his old MSNBC show would contract aids and die. Yeah, he's really misunderstood. It's kind of like saying that George Bush is treated like Jim Morrison because they are both brain dead.

Just for the record righty, what's your opinion of gay folks?

Silence is a sound we hear far too little of these days.
Go to Top of Page

maldurqoue
First Love

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2005 :  11:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On to an actual Love post. In reference to the humor in 'Pegasus', I thought the funniest description was when M Stuart found a book on AL's coffee table entitled 'How to Write Songs' which AL immediately claimed belonged to someone else and promptly hid the book away.

Also, AL's "creative" way of getting out of a gig by phoning in a bomb threat???

Overall great book and required reading for anyone interested (which presumably would include everyone here) in a first hand account of 'those days' with the boys and the band.
***************************************************************************************

Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2005 :  17:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the sadest parts of the book were Michael's last interactions with Kenny. Forsi was unfortunately in a tail-spin with drugs by then. For Michael to come home and find his best leather and suede jackets gone from his closet is a testament to what happens to a person when so heavily influenced. And that was the last time Michael ever heard from Kenny. So sad!!!

Kenny was an amazing bassist. If you've ever listened to the 'Last Wall', that amazing collection of LOVE out-takes, Kenny was spot on in every track. He never missed a note, or a beat for that matter. Michael has told me that Kenny was just the most amazing musician. He could've been AFU at any time, but always managed to keep his riffs prime. Bass was 2nd nature to Kenny...he didnt even have to think about it. He just played. RIP Kenny.

Allan
Go to Top of Page

Somebum
First Love

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2005 :  05:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Maldurqoue, I could care less if you're gay and don't understand the Northwest. I used the Savage analogy because it's the first one that came to my mind. Since when did an analogy hurt anyone, regardless of who's in it. I thought a free people could use analogies without an intolerant person getting worked up about it, after all I said nothing about politics and I also know lots of social liberals who hunt. So quit being alarmed and remember that hunters have done more for wildlife in this country than anyone else what with the Pittman-Robertson taxes that go directly back into helping their habitat since 1938. Maybe I should have said that "Frankie Goes to Hollywood" singing "Relax" rolls through my mind, humping up that hill while elk hunting and then you'd have been happier and nicer to someone you know nothing about. I refuse to talk politics on a music site, please keep your feelings to yourself. Give me your Email address and I'll school you on a few things. A regular guy can listen to the left and the right, hunt, and listen to Love as well. And eat very well to boot! Sorry forum, I've been bushwhacked here. Allan, you write about Ken Forsi. I've never been a musician so I don't know the ins and outs of base playing but after Love, did Forsi ever play in any other bands? Did he ever kick the heroin habit? And is the "Last Wall" available anywhere? Either I read over it somewhere or never laid eyes on any references to it. In closing, again I apologize to the forum for the distraction. I appreciate Love's music, I wouldn't want to be one of those guys. Great music transcends the day to day stuff we do and get up to. Love is certainly interesting and it's nice that lots of people care enough about them to opine daily on this message board. It's people like Maldurqoue who'll thin the herd, I won't be putting up with too much more of stuff like that. It's a big web. JD
Go to Top of Page

maldurqoue
First Love

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2005 :  09:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Righty,

You're right (pun intentional) this isn't a forum for politics but let me just get a few things straight (additional pun at no charge):
1) I am not gay. Interesting that you'd come to that conclusion, but it fits right wing thinking.

2) You mention me as intolerant when you invoke the poster boy for intolerance:Michael Savage. I could provide a plethora of his quotes from interviews and his show to prove my point but I'm sure you know what I mean and if you don't then perhaps you're blinded by your own intolerance.

3) I'm sure that all of the defenseless non-consenting animals that you've killed would be happy to know how much you've done for wildlife. You know when I'll become a fan of hunting? When hunters start aiming their guns at each other. Now that's entertainment.

4) As for you "schooling" me, I thank you for your kind offer but must decline as I already attended kindergarten more than 40 years ago.

But aside from taking a perverse pleasure in hiding behind a gun and killing elk, an inflated ego, a deluded right wing devotion and an odd infatuation with an intolerant hate mongerer, I'm sure you're a great guy.

We do agree on one thing: the music of Love and AL is superb; that's why we're here and that's what we should be talking about.

Mal

Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2005 :  15:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Allan, you write about Ken Forsi. I've never been a musician so I don't know the ins and outs of base playing but after Love, did Forsi ever play in any other bands? Did he ever kick the heroin habit? And is the "Last Wall" available anywhere? Either I read over it somewhere or never laid eyes on any references to it.

Jim-To my knowledge, Kenny did not play in any other band after LOVE. Michael did mention to me that some time during the Four Sail band's early days, Arthur asked Michael and Kenny to be part of the band and in fact, may have played a few gigs. However, the 'magic' wasn't quite there (no Brian and no Johnny), and so it was short lived.

Kenny struggled with his habit. I don't know how long he struggled with his demons of addiction, but by the time of his death in 1998, he was drug free. Through this site, I have e-mailed with a person who was a childhood friend of Kenny's. In fact, this person, another friend, and Kenny all moved to CA together in '64. There was a 'lure' phenomena happenning back then, as many people were going to CA, because 'something' different was happenning out there. He entered school in CA and was studying to be an Engineer (Mechanical-I think?), and got caught up with the times. He actually toured with the Surfari's (Wipe-Out) in Japan, and when he got back home, Arthur found him (or maybe vice-versa .

The Last Wall isn't referenced much. A friend of mine burned a copy for me. I don't know if you can still get the CD, or if it is out of print. The CD starts out with 'Signed DC' and then about 8(?) different takes of '7 and 7 is'. The CD is cool because the songs are so raw. It's a gem.

As for your discussions with Mal, I feel you are both compassionate, intelligent, and mature people. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and lively discussion is always welcome. This site has had its fair share of 'lively discussion' lately, but it started becoming too personal, and thus evoked a sour mood. Several veteran board members have chosen to no longer post here due to that sourness, but there's been relative quiet for a bit now

Allan
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2005 :  03:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

I feel the sadest parts of the book were Michael's last interactions with Kenny. Forsi was unfortunately in a tail-spin with drugs by then. For Michael to come home and find his best leather and suede jackets gone from his closet is a testament to what happens to a person when so heavily influenced. And that was the last time Michael ever heard from Kenny. So sad!!!

Kenny was an amazing bassist. If you've ever listened to the 'Last Wall', that amazing collection of LOVE out-takes, Kenny was spot on in every track. He never missed a note, or a beat for that matter. Michael has told me that Kenny was just the most amazing musician. He could've been AFU at any time, but always managed to keep his riffs prime. Bass was 2nd nature to Kenny...he didnt even have to think about it. He just played. RIP Kenny.

Allan

I dont know what to think of Pegasus Carousel. A lot of subtle (and not so subtle)shots at AL. I always thought that MSW sued Arthur sometime in
the 70s, but if my memory serves me, there is no mention of it in
the book.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  00:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd heard / read that somewhere too. Michael AND TJ Cantrelli both
had the guts to stand up / go after Arthur for the back royalties.

Free the truth !

quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

quote:
Originally posted by Allan

Allan

I dont know what to think of Pegasus Carousel. A lot of subtle (and not so subtle)shots at AL. I always thought that MSW sued Arthur sometime in
the 70s, but if my memory serves me, there is no mention of it in
the book.

Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  02:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by kdion11

I'd heard / read that somewhere too. Michael AND TJ Cantrelli both
had the guts to stand up / go after Arthur for the back royalties.

Free the truth !

Da Capo went to #80 and FC #154, so I doubt there was much to collect after recording advances.
I would take all of Pegasus Carousel with a grain of salt.

Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  08:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Waxburn, you are forgetting about the UK where Arthur and Love have always been more popular than in the US. I understand that FC has consistently sold, year after year, more than 40,000 copies per annum in the UK as new generations of music fans discover Love's back catalogue - that's not taking into account all the radio play etc which again in the UK is quite significant. My understanding is that the ongoing royalty stream, particularly for FC, is a not insubstantial amount of money.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  18:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

quote:
Originally posted by Tina

Waxburn, you are forgetting about the UK where Arthur and Love have always been more popular than in the US. I understand that FC has consistently sold, year after year, more than 40,000 copies per annum in the UK as new generations of music fans discover Love's back catalogue - that's not taking into account all the radio play etc which again in the UK is quite significant. My understanding is that the ongoing royalty stream, particularly for FC, is a not insubstantial amount of money.

From what i understand the lawsuits were in the mid 1970's, so if what I've read is true, and there was a financial settlement then, I would assume they would have no portion of the reissues.
I read the LOVE box set sold 40,000 total, I have strong doubts
about 40,000 copies of FC selling annualy in UK- even so, the royalty rates for foreign sales are quite lower than domestic rates.

My understanding is that radio play(BMI/ASCAP) is paid to the publisher/writers, so unless MSW and TC actually wrote any songs
they wouldn't be entitled to any (guessing why everyone suddenly wants a writing credit for the 'drum parts').

If the royalty stream was substantial, I am pretty certain that AL
would never have toured.

Go to Top of Page

maldurqoue
First Love

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  12:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"(guessing why everyone suddenly wants a writing credit for the 'drum parts')."

Which is such a pile of horse****. Our music copyright system is pretty much rooted in the old Tin Pan Alley days where the song composer credit and therefore copyright is for melody and lyrics only. You can't even 'own' a song title or chord progression so drum parts and instrumental fills are out of the question. Giving the drummer or bass player song writing credit for simply doing their rhythmic duty would be tantamount to giving a lab janitor credit for a drug patent. What's next, Ringo's name will be all the Beatles' songs?

Mal

Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  06:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly Arnstein just go to the Siddhartha thread and I will have the mp3's running again.

Secondly I love the Mike Stuart book, but....there would have to be a lot of inaccurate stuff in there. Too man quotes for me, you know ? How the hell could someone remember all of that stuff straight ? All those drugs, and all of those years gone by, that is pretty amazing. I would imagine that Arthur will always be misrepresented and even AL continues to lie about stuff, it is just so hard to know what is what.

I am curious about this doc coming out. Who is behind it ? I hope they cover the Vindicator and False Start and Reel to Real stuff heavy as well. I would love to see that stuff talked about more as well as unreleased stuff like More Changes and Black Beauty and Gethsemane.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page