Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  22:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

My name is Thomas Galasso, and I am a bit of a late comer to this message board, but I have been an on again off again user of this website for almost 9 months now. I seem to have come into a weird situation with Arthur and Baby Lemonade going through their thing.
Truly unfortunate.

I am actually the manager, and co-creator of a Detroit rock band by the name of Siddhartha. The group is all young 20 somethings who truly kick ass, but here is the deal. I am an Arthur Lee fanatic, and a Love fanatic as well (I can separate the two), but they are being courted by Sire Records, and Virgin, producer Jim Diamond formerly of The Dirtbombs has recorded a 5 track ep for us.

Virgin and Sire both want to sign us and market the group as the second coming of...you guessed it LOVE. The lead singer's name is Marlon Hauser, a young African-American with a wickedly, uncannily, disturbingly similiar background to Arthur. Needless to say Love is a huge influence amongst many other things, but I would like to reach out to anyone interested in giving us their opinions, and also, I want to try and contact Johnny Echols, and or Arthur for possible collaborations once we get into the studio for the actual album.

My name is Thomas Galasso, I can also be reached at eddiebrock90@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Thomas

Phil Brauer
Third Love

90 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  00:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are they going to market you as the 'second coming of Love' if you don't have Arthur Lee, or Johnny Echols in the band? I don't get it. Sounds interesting though.
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  03:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it annoys me when people come on here and start out all sincere and proclaim love and knowledge about LOVE and then try to weasel in a plug for SOME BAND!!!
what sheer GALL!
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  04:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jimmyboy, I am not trying to shamelessly plug "some" band. I am genuinely serious. I am more of an Arthur Lee fanatic than you would ever know, so much in fact that we can talk to one another on the phone and probably get real cool sharing stories, and acquired information.
I am very sorry to come off as some clown, but I am new at this, and this band is very much heavily influenced by these guys as well.

If I wanted to be disrespectful and all I wouldn't come here. I wouldn't try to peddle anything in front of you all. I can get publicity and all, but I don't know a whole lot of people in this world that I can just talk with in person that really know anything about Love.

But to Phil Brauer, the whole second coming thing is record label stuff, just like Oasis, and Blur was supposed to be the 1990's generation Beatles and all. These guys are not trying to be Love at all, but it is a predominately African-American band, and I am a young African-American male, and we look to Johnny, and Arthur as our trail blazers.

In Detroit, it is hard to be black and break out into rock, everyone expects that we are monolithic, and all we want to do is rap and r&b, but that is not always the case. Plus we are always lead to believe that blacks in rock begin with Jimi, and end in Lenny, so imagine how we all felt being the johnny-come-latelys finding out about these guys.

If anyone would like, I can send some MP3 files or something, I would like some opinions, or if anyone wants to talk with me, I am willing to give my phone number.

so please, do not mix me up as some idiot.

Peace
-Thomas Galasso
Go to Top of Page

Phil Brauer
Third Love

90 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  06:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.K....now I understand where your coming from. I think it sounds cool...although if they market the band as the next Love....no one will know what they (the record company) are talking about. In my opinion, hardly anyone knows about Love. Maybe market as the new psychedelic band/revolution, etc. But hey, what do I know?? I like the name Siddhartha though, and would be interested to hear the band. I am sure it is better than 90% of the crap that is out there nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  11:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
would be great to hear some stuff, sounds pretty interesting to me....do the band have a website or anywhere that we could hear some mp3s?

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  14:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ThomasGalasso...

LOVE has more of a 'cult' following than a 'popular' following. Some of LOVE's most ardent supporters (including myself) frequent this site, and know (even personally) quite a lot about LOVE. Johnny Echols, lead guitarist of the original group also posts here. He goes by 'Johnnylovejoy', and perhaps if he sees this thread, he may add a reply.

I wish you luck in your endeavors. I hope you had a chance to see LOVE in their most recent incarnation with Arthur, Johnny, and their backup band known as Baby Lemonade.

Allan
Go to Top of Page

andyl
First Love

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  17:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont mind shamelessly plugging my band "the days", we are all love bonkers and will be playing "scruffy murphys" in dale end , birmingham on the 20th october , about 8pm, .
yours in anticipation of this post being slagged

Andyl
Go to Top of Page

andyl
First Love

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  17:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
p.s. why not visit our awful website ?

http//daysuk.bravehost.com

pps our tribute song to arthur "loveproof" coming out on 4 track ep
soon
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  20:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Andyl, I will check it out.

Siddhartha doesn't have a website yet, but I can mail you guys some stuff. If you would like my e-mail is eddiebrock90@hotmail.com.

I know that most people don't know Love, but they should. It will be a personal crusade of ours to educate the world on one of the finest bands to ever get any sort of major notoriety.
We don't try and sound like Love, nor do we, but they are such a huge part of our influence and moreso inspiration especially myself and the lead singer that we want to carry the torch if you will.

Also, why is it that so many people don't like Vindicator ? Is it because they want Forever Changes and cannot get past that ? I have Vindicator on vinyl and CD, and I think its awesome especially some of the bonus stuff.

If anyone comes to Detroit anytime soon, please e-mail me.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

johnnylovejoy
Second Love

38 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2005 :  22:29:28  Show Profile  Visit johnnylovejoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish you all the best. In the sixties a good deal of the U.S.A.(the south, mid-west,south-east) was "off limits" for us because we were an "intergrated group!" Contrary to popular opinion, LOVE toured extensively in support of each release, [that is,] where ever we could! This Country is quite a different place now! If you have something too say "Go for it"
:Johnny
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2005 :  04:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Johnny,

I am very interested in hearing about how things were in the 1960's, and how other groups interacted with you guys. Out of curiousity, why isn't there any kind of a documentary on the band? I swear it is so hard to find vintage material about the group, such as old articles in magazines, or even retrospectives in like Guitar World, or Rolling Stone etc. I was wishing either you or Arthur would appear on the Hendrix documentary sharing some of your insight and perspective of his life and just the world at that time.

I would love to e-mail you some MP3 files of Siddhartha if that is okay. I honestly would love your feedback.

Thanks,
Thomas
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2005 :  09:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got those mp3s from a link Thomas sent me and they are pretty good. You can see the Love influence and also hear that the lead guitarist is a big Hendrix fan. At times they remind me of Lenny Kravitz. Nice version of She Comes In Colours to finish it off too. Highly recommended!!
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2005 :  11:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
cool sounds good, any chance of putting the link on this board? -john-

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Phil Brauer
Third Love

90 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2005 :  00:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, I am telling you...CHECK THESE GUYS OUT!!!!! This is some of the best music I have heard in a long time. I just listened to all of the tracks, and I am blown away. I can hear the Love influence...but also a lot of other stuff too (The Great Society, MC5, sixties garage rock in general). But most of all, they obviously FEEL THE MUSIC. I give it an A plus. Check it out Johnny. (I think if it's ok with everyone on the board they should just post the link on here.)
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2005 :  23:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx for all of the positive feedback.

The lead singer (Marlon) is a huge fan of MC5 in addition to many of the influences you listed. I will try and put the mp3 files on the board and to anyone who wants them, just feel free to e-mail me at eddiebrock90@hotmail.com.

We are going to be relocating eventually to The Bay Area from Detroit
and working with a producer by the name of Andre Jonson who is also a huge LOVE fan. Thank you for all of the positive encouragement. It is still my life goal to play Arthur Lee in a movie before I am 29 years old. I just need to get even thinner than I am now.

Thanks,
Thomas Galasso

PS Does anyone here agree with me that VINDICATOR is extremely underrated ? I have the remastered CD which now is out of print, but it is kind of weird they would remaster it only to take it out of print.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page