Jimi's playlist...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2005 :  19:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
..from December Mojo, ten of the albums found in Jimi Hendrix's apartment after his death:

Love - Da Capo
Bonzo Dog Band - The Doughnut in Granny's Greenhouse
Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk
Lovin Spoonful - You're a big boy now
Gustav Holst - The Planets
Simon and Garfunkel - Bookends
Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties REquest
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2005 :  20:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He had great taste!
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2005 :  01:07:16  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah!!! i wonder what he would be into NOW! or what music he would be making now. in his last years, he experimented with cosmic surf music, "rainbow bridge" although he once stated we would never here surf music again, then suddenly switched to a relatively regressive funk/r/b groove get -down " Band of Gypsies" with Buddy Miles. that list is impressive! looks like mine, mostly!
Go to Top of Page

tmittelstadt
Third Love

63 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2005 :  03:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd heard the never hear surf music again had to do with Dick Dale having cancer. Dale was supposed to die, and with his death there would neverbe surf music again. I'm not sure of the accuracy of it, but its just something I've heard/ read.

The Band of Gypsy's were incredible. Machine Gun is the finest guitar work I've ever heard.
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2005 :  04:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read in some other magazine that Jimi also had The Flying Burrito Brothers, Dr. John (when he was truly The Night Tripper), and The Silver Apples (early electronic psych)...I think I read this in a similar feature in Uncut magazine a coupla years ago.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2005 :  18:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myoungish

I read in some other magazine that Jimi also had... The Silver Apples (early electronic psych)...

Michael, do you mean by that, Morton Subotnik's Silver Apples of the Moon, on the Nonesuch label, or was this a different band?
Jon
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2005 :  21:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jon, I mean the New York-based Silver Apples, who were kinda proto-ambient electronic rock. A totally unique sound, especially for the late-sixties. They used weird instruments like the oscillator(also known as the Simeon.) Mojo describes them as "dissonant flower power," with even bits of "techno- bluegrass." Their drummer, Danny Taylor, had actually played with Jimi's Blue Flames. "We traded gear and talked about new sound distortions," he says. "He called me Mr Apple and I called him Mr Experience."....Their classic is Contact from '69.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2005 :  21:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jon, I mean the New York-based Silver Apples, who were kinda
proto-ambient electronic rock. A totally unique sound, especially for the late-sixties. They used weird instruments like the oscillator (also known as the Simeon.) Mojo describes them as "dissonant flower power," with even bits of "techno bluegrass." Their drummer, Danny Taylor, had actually played with Jimi's Blue Flames. "We traded gear and talked about new sound distortions," he says. "He called me Mr Apple and I called him Mr Experience."...Their classic is Contact from '69.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2005 :  22:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Cringe.) Sorry for the double post. I'm using a sorry dial-up system.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page