Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2006 :  12:41:45  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry I missed that one - didn't have a ticket, thought about phoning in and turning up, but then heard Tom Jones was on at the arena and didn't face the traffic, what a wimp.

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2006 :  17:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you mean I missed ol swivel hips at the arena...darn
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2006 :  01:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I went to see Dylan at the Arco Arena. I have seen him about a half a dozen times over the past 4 years, Sac twice, Berkeley, Davis, at the Paramount in Oakland with Merle Haggard. His band has always been the tightest kick-ass band on tour; last night they looked tired and drawn. They weren't sloppy, but the drummer was off the beat, and was missing in action, it was pretty much the same for the guitar players too, the "never-ending tour" might be catching up with them. The master himself had a very good night. He enunciated and actually took his time and stuck to the melody. I am always in awe of the man, and watched him all the way off the stage in the darkness, not knowing if it might be the final time I'll see him leave the stage. The best moment for me was a slow rendering of Hollis Brown. He just did it beautifully; like it still meant something to him. He took his time.

The group of four men who opened for Dylan, Kings of Leon, were excellent! All longhairs reminiscent of the, dare I say it, 60's; tight as a bow string in mid winter. The drummer was an octopus with a light touch, the lead guitarist lean and studied; cording and sliding, the bass player ran symphonic exercises all night long; utilizing every space, the lead singer/rythm varied his vocal style and delivered a performance that kept one's attention. At first I heard the Beatles jamming on the White Album (Helter Skelter) and Abbey Road, but then a little Lynard Skynard popped up, some Procol Harem and finally a style all their own. Nice, modern arrangements, patience, as an approach to rock and roll. I liked them. They played all original material as far as I could tell.

Lee

Yes, I'm going 'round and 'round.

Edited by - LeeRob on 20/10/2006 14:42:02
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2006 :  08:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kings of leon are a great band, I have their past two albums, 1st one def outshines the other one. I saw them in my hometown a couple of years back and was deaf for 2 days after.
glad you enjoyed dylan
Go to Top of Page

aldo
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2006 :  17:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im going to see John Mayall and the bluesbreakers tommorow should be great as always, then James Brown on wednesday,
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2006 :  15:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw John Mayall on Thursday, excellent as always, what a great guitarist Buddy Whittington is.
Last night I saw the Hothouse Flowers for the first time, great gig it was too.
Go to Top of Page

aldo
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2006 :  00:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just back from the John Mayall gig really good show,
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2006 :  08:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Prine at the Crest Theater. Very fine show. "Fish and a Whistle"

Lee

Yes, I'm going 'round and 'round.
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  19:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
primal scream 2nite at the carling academy
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  20:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a busy year for gigs, it all looks like ending in a bit of a damp squib. Got nothing lined up for the rest of the year. :(
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  00:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep they were great, was gonna see mani dj after but pooped, finished the set with a bit of mc5..kick out the jams..which was nice
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2006 :  17:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Artie Fishel and the Promised Band, aka Gilad Atzmon Quartet. Great fun, very controversial, brilliant musicianship by all. http://www.gilad.co.uk/index.html
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  14:52:06  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jon Auer at the Borderline. he played an awesome version of Big Star's Thirteen that I filmed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nhpca9bn7k

Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  18:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I missed the Primal Scream gig at Brixton last saturday dueing to a mate letting me down. Did anyone on here go?? On a happier note i am going to see Shack this sunday, at the U.L.U. in London...should be good.
Allan
Go to Top of Page

SteveLB
First Love

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2006 :  01:44:14  Show Profile  Visit SteveLB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Recently back from The Nightmare Before Christmas festival. Saw Iggy and the Stooges, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jnr and the MC5 play in Butlin's holiday camp, Minehead. It was all a bit surreal.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page