Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  23:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alabama 3 at the Forum, LONDON on Friday, great as usual, the new album Revolver Soul is their best for a long time, a real sham that Develin Love dosent tour any more....if ever a voice was from heaven Zoe Develin has it!
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  23:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shame not sham....or was it a Freudian slip?
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  17:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw Stackridge again a few weeks back - great work from the band as usual, but the sound in Colston Hall 2 leaves a lot to be desired - very boomy. Setlist still stuck in stone due to rehearsal time constraints, but changes are afoot - though you can never have too much of Syracuse, Slark and Purple Spaceships, as well as at least half of last year's album. They were supported by Mutter Slater's (vocals and flute) son, Aaron, who is a budding singer-songwriter worth a look to those who like that sort of thing.

Speaking of singer-songwriters, I am off to see John Mayer on Sunday (volcanic ash willing, that is, so his flight arrives). Bit of an enigma really, as he has dabbled in folky songwriter stuff, poppier territory (for which he won a Grammy) and all out blues, so you never know quite what you are going to get. It will be my first time seeing him afetr following his development for about ten years.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  21:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Brian Jonestown Massacre in Glasgow last night, simply AWESOME!!!
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  15:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw Manzarek-Krieger at the Shepherds Bush Empire last night with the 50 piece Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, strings, woodwind, brass and percussion.

Really enjoyed it and I hadn't built up my expectations. They have a new lead singer, Miljenko Matijevic. Thought he was a lot better than their previous guy, Brett Scallions, who when I saw him was to me just parodying Morrison unlike Ian Astbury who I thought was natural. This guy came across as a natural rock singer doing Doors songs, very strong voice and he, and the other band members, were clearly enjoying themselves, as were the sold out crowd.

The sound could have been a little better at times as it struggled to cope with so much instrumentation, I never noticed any woodwind for example, but on some numbers the orchestration worked really well, in particular Touch Me and Wishful Sinful from The Soft Parade, Crystal Ship, Waiting For the Sun and Not to Touch The Earth which had a very atmospheric orchestral introduction. All numbers ended on a great crescendo with the orchestra being there.

The fact the numbers were orchestrated also made it a much tighter show, the last time I saw them the band lapsed into self indulgence.

I admire Ray Manzarek for keeping gigging at 71 but his introductions and chat are a bit cheesy, if you can cope with that, and someone other than Jim Morrison on vocals, I'd recommend the orchestrated shows, there's one in Wolverhampton tomorrow.

Edited by - mikeb on 19/07/2010 13:07:12
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  17:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw the Doors documentary on NET, and because the set I saw it on had subtitles, I realized that I had gotten the lyrics wrong to a lot of their songs. I was just a little kid when I heard most of their songs, and thought they were just the typical psychedelic lyrics everyone wrote back then.
Then someone told me that JM had a lot of diverse literary influences including Alastair Crowley.
Are there any websites or books on JM's lyrics?
One part of the doc had them playing live somewhere, and Ray Manazarek started yelling over the mic "Get this man off of the stage!" referring to JM.
What the heck was that about?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  18:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Book smart, military brat, Morrison was extremely well read and an "intellectual" rock star...he considered himself a poet first, setting his poems to music sometimes--not always. Morrison was especially influenced by Rimbaud...and others such as Nietzsche, Artaud. He first stage attempts were to create musical theatre, using his shaman beliefd in his performance; and as the peace and ;ove movement faded he moved into cynicism and observations on LA and life to reach his audience..writing poems to make sense of the world and "guarding against his aesthetic mortality"...for more on Jim and his poetry...
http://www.litkicks.com/JamesDouglasMorrison

Street smart Arthur Lee on the other hand wrote music-with-words...his observations on life around him. One would never consider Arthur's lyrics as poems to be read. They would just not be as powerful,

Gene Clark also never intended for his lyrics to be read as poetry, separate from his music. He felt that words are never as strong as when sung...words pale next to the "strength of strings"...that is where words get their power--in Gene's mind. I agree. Though I have never heard Poetry-in-Song as powerful and deep as from Gene Clark.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 19/07/2010 20:32:15
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  07:11:23  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think, Dylan does come close to standing alone in his poetry, minus the music. Unless you walk into a room like a camel, then you frown.....

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2010 :  17:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

i think, Dylan does come close to standing alone in his poetry, minus the music. Unless you walk into a room like a camel, then you frown.....

absolutely, bob. Just reading those early album liner notes/poems, especially "The Times They Are A Changing" with a back cover "poem" which continued on to a full insert, gave us early listeners a glimpse of something we had never known before in a singer/song writer.

Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2010 :  20:29:56  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
last night saw Manzarek/Krieger from The Doors at Wolverhampton Civic Hall, they now have a guy called Michael Matejevic on vocals, they also played with an Orchestra ... halfway through the 2nd set the singer lost his voice and Ray took over on vocals for the rest of the set..

put a few pics here..

http://timparistalk.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pix&action=display&thread=1065

Paris Journals at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  14:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to see THE DOVES at Clapham Common, London on Saturday, a Ben N Jerrys Sundaze event.
We rolled up abot 6.30 to find the Doves would be on stage at 7p.m. and the whole event would be over at 8.p.m.
Doves did 7 or so songs, that were very good, but they had left the stage by 7.45 p.m. and that as they say, was that.
Stick to making ice- cream B N J...NOW when GET LOADED IN THE PARK did the Common...that was a day n night out...Flowered up, The Farm, Stereo m.c,s, Fatboy Slim and The Happy Mondays...happy Daze
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  17:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the final day of the Rhythm Festival on Sunday, so who I saw last is a bit of a list:

EARTH PRAYER - Denny Laine's daughter may be on vocals, but real talent doesn't always run in families. OK, I suppose, but it didn't do much for me.
PEARL-HANDLED REVOLVER - Pretty good (I bought their EP, despite only hearing the last three songs). Think The Doors, The Coral etc and you're in the right area.
SWANS IN FLIGHT - enjoyed these a lot - good frontman and lead guitarist, though the female backing singer should sing more leads (Would love to hear her doing some Stone The Crows). Worth watching out for if classic rock is your thing.
DALA - female duo on their first trip outside of their native Canada and the US. They performed their third short set of the festival - strong originals (I defy anyone not to like 'Levi Blues') and covers by Neil & Joni. The PA seemed to struggle with the high harmonies, but they went down very well and I think will be back soon.
THE DUALERS - ska - not the greatest fan as all ska bands seem to cover the same tunes, but competent enough.
GANDALF MURPHY & THE SALMBOVIAN CIRCUS OF DREAMS - fresh from the Philly FF with next to no sleep. Great set, of course, which got the biggest and most raucous cheers of the day. However, due to time contraints, we got
just under 70 mins.
ARLO GUTHRIE - Wall-to-wall stories and songs - all the favourites except Alice's Restaurant. ("There's a reason that one stays on the record"!) This, to me, ended the festival day perfectly, despite his not being the last act.
10CC - slick, but no soul, so I spent most of their set away at the merch table talking to various Circus members.

Just before I left I got a pic of me with Arlo and Donovan (who was a lovely guy to chat briefly to). Icing on the cake was when Joziah from the Circus arrived to chat to Arlo and came in the photo too. That's certainly one of my most treasured pics!
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  04:25:00  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, by Sunday night, I will have seen Mickey Dolenze's free concert, Sunday , at Warner Center Park, here in the San Fernando Valley. I hear he's been singing Carole King songs. Now THAT sounds like a great pairing!
I want to hear him sing , " Will you love me, tomorrow?", and , " 'Goin' Back".....
but I really want to be there when he sings, " I'm A Believer"!

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  06:34:15  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just got back home from the Mickey Dolenz concert at Warner Park in the San Fernando Valley!
He was great! Sang Pleasent Valley Sunday, Stepping Stone, Last Train To Clarksville, I'm A Believer, and other good ones!
His band was hot and loud! What a great showman he is!
It was like a Love-in there. good vibes...lots of pet dogs, kids, all nice boomers, ....he talked about Hendrix opening for the Monkees....then they launched into a hilarious version of "Purple Haze/We are the Monkees"! (you had to be there!....)

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  02:10:49  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
HERE's a video link of Mickey Dolenz and band's "SHE" from that show I was at!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZA-HWZFrM&feature=related

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page