Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  15:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
old man..what did Steve play?....now he's a rocker!...

Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  21:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh now you're asking, rocker. 2 hour show many songs half of which were Townes Van Zandt numbers. Off the top of my head......Galway Girl, My Old Friend The Blues, Copperhead Road, Guitar Town and I think Someday. That's all I can remember right now, the old memory isn't getting any better lol.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  01:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hawkwind at Shepherds Bush Empire, Sunday last. Havent seen them for well over 5 years, but it was an enjoyable gig IFyou like Hawkwind.
SPIRIT OF THE AGE, HASHISHIN, loads of space rock out there tunes.
A good night out.
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  17:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

This isn't the venue, but a stipulation of the band's contract. Michael (the manager) has always been very encouraging of recording and trading and often downloads the shows himself. Some bands go even further - Umphreys McGee have even given out free tickets to tapers who contact them in advance.

mikeb, what did you think of the show? I could only do Cardiff, but word is that the 100 club was damn good. (Sounded Ok anyway.)

I got there just after Quicksilver Messenger Service took to the stage and was blown away by standing just in front of Garry Duncan and watching him play and the sounds he was getting from his guitar, he gets overlooked at times as everyone focuses on John Cipollina. Great to hear them close with Edward The Mad Shirt Grinder, David pointed out that there was a photo of Nicky on the wall of the club.

Really enjoyed the Starship set though I must make time to listen to the download, only heard the QMS one so far and it fades in about the same time I got to the club, hoped I'd get to hear the introductions and start of Mona.

One particular reason I want to hear the download is that the 100 Club sound system finds it difficult to cope with multiple vocals and instrumentation so some of the details get lost.

David Freiberg just gets better and better and with the QMS set he was on the stage for nearly the entire time. Cathy's vocals occasionally get a bit too Joplinesque for me on some of the numbers compared to Diana's but she's got a better stage presence.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  14:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't believe no-one's been to a gig since before Christmas - had a job finding the thread!

Anyway, got back yesterday from the first two of six remaining shows by the excellent Gandalf Murphy and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams - easily my favourite live band bar none. And well worth the nearly 500 mile round trip to York and Sheffield it was too. Those that know me will know I usually do a few dates per year on the Jefferson Starship tour, but I only did one last year as I was being made redundant, but then when I got a job, wasn't that upset as I knew I had this to look forward to. I'll be at all the remaining shows too and will post some stuff up on youtube when I can.

For those of you who don't know this band, check them out - you won't regret it. For those in the UK, they are in London tomorrow, then Bristol, Penzance and Kingsbridge where the tour ends in a pub in the middle of nowhere on Saturday. Check them out via slambovia.com or youtube or take a chance and buy a ticket and you'll understand why I rave about them.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  16:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Years Eve,, Went to a gig in Brixton at the Jammm. ALABAMA3....SHEEP ON DRUGS...AN 11 PEICE SKA BAND, ALABAMA3 ACCOUSTIC SET and d.j.,s till 6 a.m.....for £15
of course us half a dozen oldies left at 5 a.m. A great night was has by all, and hats off to Alabama3 for doing a gig that was cheaper to get into than alot of pubs wanted in London that night.

Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  12:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Todd Rundgren has leapt into my god-like genius category after seeing A Wizard, A True Star performed live last night at the Hammersmith Apollo. An artist I have somewhat overlooked until quite recently.

Brilliantly staged and played, Todd changing costumes regularly, the curtains went back, the musicians all in white suits and Todd's first costume a white spacesuit. One of the most amazing gigs I have ever been to. Superb singer, guitarist and full of musical imagination.

Someone turned to me on the way out and said "I feel like I am the chosen one" which sums up the gig.

Two videos already uploaded by Mick10N:
International Feel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14uCfRv6PDc

Just One Victory, end of the concert, everyone on their feet singing along, wonderful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Tqa86xsM8

Amsterdam tomorrow, if he tours it some more well worth booking.

Edited by - mikeb on 07/02/2010 12:55:29
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  16:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

Todd Rundgren has leapt into my god-like genius category after seeing A Wizard, A True Star performed live last night at the Hammersmith Apollo. An artist I have somewhat overlooked until quite recently.

Brilliantly staged and played, Todd changing costumes regularly, the curtains went back, the musicians all in white suits and Todd's first costume a white spacesuit. One of the most amazing gigs I have ever been to. Superb singer, guitarist and full of musical imagination.

Someone turned to me on the way out and said "I feel like I am the chosen one" which sums up the gig.

Two videos already uploaded by Mick10N:
International Feel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14uCfRv6PDc

Just One Victory, end of the concert, everyone on their feet singing along, wonderful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Tqa86xsM8

Amsterdam tomorrow, if he tours it some more well worth booking.

WOW...you are a lucky guy, MB!! One of my favorite LPs by Todd, I read about this tour (I posted the impending concert tour info some months ago) and had wished it would come near my town.

Todd is a genius...good to hear he has has not lost anything, but has actually IMPROVED, if possible!!!

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  13:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

the musicians all in white suits

Would have been funny to see Prairie Prince in a suit - not his usual clobber! Good to hear it was a fine show: have been a TR fan for many , many years.

I'd have gone myself had I not been on the final leg of the Gandalf Murphy tour. Still, I would have been hard-pushed to wish I was in London instead of the Prancing Pony (as the band nicknamed the Pigsnose Inn near Kingsbridge). Absolutely tiny place, with a, shall I be generous, small PA, but another fine show from them to end their little UK jaunt which started in Glasgow and worked its way steadily south west. Next stop for them is Glastonbury, after which I doubt I'll be seeing them in such small, intimate venues, which is a pity, but they more than deserve the success.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  20:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Marcus Bonfanti last night. He was excellent, brilliant blues based, musician and song writer. If you don't know him check him out.
http://www.marcusbonfanti.com/
http://www.myspace.com/marcusbonfantimusic
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 :  00:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Krissy Matthews - You got to see this guy guys. 17 years old and plays with immense maturity but with an exciting freshness. Not flash, just class! http://www.myspace.com/krissymatthews
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 :  00:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old_Man, I agree, this guy is a toe tapping treat. He loves that guitar. Good turn on.
I went to the marcusbonfanti.com site. Very fine.

All misspellings are purposeful...
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  20:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the Paul Rose Band on Friday and Richmond Fontaine on Sunday, both very different, but both great gigs!
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  13:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Davy Knowles & Back Door Slam - Last night at King Tuts in Glasgow. Brilliant band, Davy's a superb guitarist/singer/songwriter/performer, and he's only 22! Originally from the Isle Of Man, Davy has made a name for himself in the states where he is based, and has been likened to Stevie Ray Vaughan. Only now getting much deserved notice in the UK.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  14:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops I meant to add this link - www.myspace.com/davyknowlesbackdoorslam
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly