Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  15:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It would be great to see a setlist from the Jefferson Starship show. Although I've always had much more time for the Airplane than the Starship, I have been listening quite a lot, lately, to Dragonfly and Red Octopus - two albums that witnessed the triumphant return of Marty Balin. I read recently that he tends to tour only intermittently with band now because he cares for his disabled daughter.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  14:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a setlist for that Cardiff show within that d/l link. Not at home at the moment to clarify more, but as far as 70s JS goes, Jane is pretty much a dead cert every show (and DF can really still go for it at 71 years of age!), Fast Buck Freddie and Hyperdrive are very common and Ride The Tiger and All Fly Away gets the odd outing. Blows material is quite common, especially Stars, but later period stuff is sadly lacking, other than Jane - no Modern Times, Earth or Nuclear Furniture stuff as a rule. Some PK/Grace solo stuff does find its way in occasionally - Sunrise, Sketches of China etc. There are occasional bust-outs - Linda Imperial guested on Million last year and a few years back we got Girl In The Wood, but most of the set is Airplane stuff - no doubt because that is what casual fans want to hear.

Sets were perhaps more varied when Marty was in, eg Caroline, St Charles and Miracles, as well as some of his signature Airplane songs like Comin' Back To Me. (Though I have to admit Miracles every show was a bit grating - outside of the Airplane material, his solo spots with Slick, Chris and Prairie/Tony were much better - Hearts and Rocket Launcher rank as some of the best stuff he ever did.)However, he's hardly likely to come back other than very occasionally. The good news is that DF and Cathy are taking his parts on stuff like 3/5 of a Mile and Plastic Fantastic Lover.

If you like Marty, check out the Live in Boston DVD due out in the UK in Feb - those Stateside who've seen it rate it very highly.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  10:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boombox - very many thanks for providing such an informative account...and I shall certainly seek out the Boston DVD you mention. I remember, back in 1975, feeling exhilerated when I saw a photograph of the band with Balin newly rejoined. I had been bitterly disappointed to discover four years before that he had left the Airplane.... but to hear those soaring Balin-Slick-Kantner three part harmonies once again on Red Octopus was just like a dream come true. You're absolutely right about Miracles....in a way it has beome the Starship's Stairway to Heaven! With St Charles, I think they were back to the heights reached on 1969's Wooden Ships. One Airplane/Starship part that all too frequently gets overlooked is Bodacious DF.....the album Balin made with a local Bay Area band between his Airplane and Starship stints. Cheers.

Edited by - John9 on 02/12/2009 10:57:15
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  12:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John9, I'm not sure about some of Marty's solo albums - a bit MOR at times, but Bodacious DF is a good album, agreed, especially The Witcher - I even have some out-takes from it somewhere too, along with some pretty decent quality Marty solo shows from over the years. A very nice duo show with Slick Aguilar springs to mind, as well as a couple of Marty & the Wolfpack shows from the late 80s around the time of the KBC (Kantner, Balin, Casady) Band. I'm sure I can dig them out if you'd like a copy.
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  15:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

The band and manager are completely cool with audio and video taping, but not sure about the venue staff at The Globe. I know audio is OK, as I've checked with them for previous shows. Video might be a problem there, so may have to get the manager to have a word. A couple of the guys are also working as crew for the tour, so should have sufficient back-up.

The link to download the 100 Club show I got also had a link to the contract rider which included:

Unless previously specified in writing by Artist,- Purchaser shall NOT RESTRICT patrons from recording Artist's performance from the general audience area. Artist encourages Purchaser to designate
a portion of the house as 'Taping Seats' so that tapers do not impede the sight lines of non-taping patrons. This also tends to enhance ticket sales.

Edited by - mikeb on 08/12/2009 15:28:03
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  15:20:52  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

quote:

The band and manager are completely cool with audio and video taping, but not sure about the venue staff at The Globe. I know audio is OK, as I've checked with them for previous shows. Video might be a problem there, so may have to get the manager to have a word. A couple of the guys are also working as crew for the tour, so should have sufficient back-up.

The link I got to download the 100 Club show I got also had a link to the contract rider which included:

Unless previously specified in writing by Artist,- Purchaser shall NOT RESTRICT patrons from recording Artist's performance from the general audience area. Artist encourages Purchaser to designate
a portion of the house as 'Taping Seats' so that tapers do not impede the sight lines of non-taping patrons. This also tends to enhance ticket sales.

It's a pity more venues aren't like this, I'm fed up with being told to stop taking photographs by heavy handed bouncers. I'd understand if I was using an annoying flash (like some people) but I am not so it can't be said I'm bothering anyone.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  17:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This isn't the venue, but a stipulation of the band's contract. Michael (the manager) has always been very encouraging of recording and trading and often downloads the shows himself. Some bands go even further - Umphreys McGee have even given out free tickets to tapers who contact them in advance.

mikeb, what did you think of the show? I could only do Cardiff, but word is that the 100 club was damn good. (Sounded Ok anyway.)
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  18:06:07  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

This isn't the venue, but a stipulation of the band's contract. Michael (the manager) has always been very encouraging of recording and trading and often downloads the shows himself. Some bands go even further - Umphreys McGee have even given out free tickets to tapers who contact them in advance.

mikeb, what did you think of the show? I could only do Cardiff, but word is that the 100 club was damn good. (Sounded Ok anyway.)

What I meant is it's good that the venue goes along with it. O2(previously Carling Academy) venues ban any taping/recording etc no matter if the artist cares or not!
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  18:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

What I meant is it's good that the venue goes along with it. O2(previously Carling Academy) venues ban any taping/recording etc no matter if the artist cares or not!

That's s***! I and others openly taped The Disco Biscuits there a couple of years back when it the CA.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  19:53:02  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure which Carling Academy you were at but they've always had the same policy as the 02 currently has, that is no recording/photography of any kind and searches on the door when they confiscate any equipment till the end of the gig. This has been happening at all their venues for years now so you must have been very lucky if you managed to get a tape recorder into one of their venues.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  12:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was the Islington CA on 14th March 2008. I was asked not to record The Bays (who I wouldn't, anyway!), but there were at least two openly displayed rigs, and one with mics on a stand too, for both Umphreys McGee and the Disco Biscuits. Maybe the bands' management had words beforehand as you can hardly call it getting lucky for nearly 5 hours, which was how long the gig was.

Thanks for the heads up though on their policy - will need to be extra careful at future O2 gigs!
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  13:08:50  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was the Islington CA on 14th March 2008. I was asked not to record The Bays (who I wouldn't, anyway!), but there were at least two openly displayed rigs, and one with mics on a stand too, for both Umphreys McGee and the Disco Biscuits. Maybe the bands' management had words beforehand as you can hardly call it getting lucky for nearly 5 hours, which was how long the gig was.

Thanks for the heads up though on their policy - will need to be extra careful at future O2 gigs!

I've only been to Islington CA a few times and never tried to record but, like I said at the CA/O2 venues it is a general policy to confiscate all cameras/tape recorders etc from you at the door (if found). Your event must have been some kind of excpetion where the artists really insisted to the venue that they HAD to allow it.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  21:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw Steve Earle last night. Great show as always!
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  21:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe Pug, support for Steve Earle was very impressive I thought. Some material he did was very Dylan-ish In my opinion. He's a young guy from Chicago. Check him out. http://www.myspace.com/thejoepug

Edited by - Old_Man on 10/12/2009 21:14:01
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  13:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw an excellent young band doing a support slot last night: Jouis. Any band who has a sax player as part of their line-up is going to be interesting and these lads were very good indeed. Sort of early Coral, mixed with a bit of acid jazz sort of stuff a la Mother Earth (the Matt Deighton 90s outfit), but with three vocalists, so almost Springfield at times in the harmonies. Definitely one to watch and their self-produced EP, 'Yellow Meadows' is very good as well - got played twice back to back in the car this morning, which is something I rarely do.

As for the main band, Stackridge, what can you say about the band who should have been bigger than Genesis? Catchier songs, at least equal, if not better musicianship, but didn't get the right breaks. My third 'ridge show this year and for good reason. This band writes wonderful songs and, in a perfect world, their current single (lifted from their new album) 'North Street Grande (Dancing together at Chrismastime)' would be the Xmas #1. Instead, we'll either get one of Cowell's Creations or a re-release by RATM. Whatever happened to original music being released at Christmas?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page