Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  15:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The band and manager are completely cool with audio and video taping, but not sure about the venue staff at The Globe. I know audio is OK, as I've checked with them for previous shows. Video might be a problem there, so may have to get the manager to have a word. A couple of the guys are also working as crew for the tour, so should have sufficient back-up.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  15:22:42  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

The band and manager are completely cool with audio and video taping, but not sure about the venue staff at The Globe. I know audio is OK, as I've checked with them for previous shows. Video might be a problem there, so may have to get the manager to have a word. A couple of the guys are also working as crew for the tour, so should have sufficient back-up.

The thing I really don't get is why, when the band don't mind, do the staff at particular venues seem to have a problem with it? I've been at certain venues (particularly the ones now owned by O2 and previously by Carling) where the security staff just seem to spend all night watching for people taking photos. It's madness especially when the artists are quite happy for them to be taken. Just makes no sense to me
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  17:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Globe is a rather "compact" venue but all of the gigs that I have been to there have been great (Paul Barrere and Fred Tackett, Johnny Winter, Southside Johnny) and I will probably be there tomorrow for Glenn Tilbrook as well.The owner promoted Love at The Coal Exchange in Cardiff and also at venues in Brecon and Newport, so he is ok in my little red book.I know him fairly well and will have a word if it will help Boombox and anyone else at the venue. When Love played at Bristol Academy a few years ago, I was threatened with physical restraint by the staff if I didn't stop taking photos despite the fact that I had a photo pass from the band. I could tell you about another incident at Shepherd Bush Empire, but I will save that for another day.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  17:47:29  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dukie

When Love played at Bristol Academy a few years ago, I was threatened with physical restraint by the staff if I didn't stop taking photos despite the fact that I had a photo pass from the band. I could tell you about another incident at Shepherd Bush Empire, but I will save that for another day.

I know exactly what you mean. Can anyone explain why the bouncers at these venues are obsessed with stopping people taking photos?
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  21:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been to the 3d Carlisle Blues Festival, just got back yesterday. Saw some awesome gigs most notably, Ian Siegal Band, Tom Principato's Powerhouse, Earl Thomas, The Stumble, Errol Lynton's Blues Vibe and Hokie Joint!

Edited by - Old_Man on 17/11/2009 21:17:52
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  12:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, no problems filming last night at JS. Dukie smoothed the way with the owner, so thanks, mate.

Excellent gig, but the curfew shortened the set a bit - only 15 mins of Tom Constanten, just under an hour of QMS and 95 mins of JS. Don't know where the audience were though - pitifully small turn-out (<200) compared to previous Cardiff shows. And it's not as if it was expensive: excellent value for £22, with a SBD download of the show - why can't more bands do that?
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  13:11:07  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

Well, no problems filming last night at JS. Dukie smoothed the way with the owner, so thanks, mate.

Excellent gig, but the curfew shortened the set a bit - only 15 mins of Tom Constanten, just under an hour of QMS and 95 mins of JS. Don't know where the audience were though - pitifully small turn-out (<200) compared to previous Cardiff shows. And it's not as if it was expensive: excellent value for £22, with a SBD download of the show - why can't more bands do that?

Glad you had no problems with your filming. I've noticed that audiences are getting smaller at a lot of gigs recently, I guess it must be the whole 'credit crunch' thing, I know I've had to cut down on a lot of gig going these days.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  14:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne
[I've noticed that audiences are getting smaller at a lot of gigs recently, I guess it must be the whole 'credit crunch' thing, I know I've had to cut down on a lot of gig going these days.

I too have cut back a bit, but in this case, it's a bit to do with the venue too - though I don't know why. Talking to staff there in the past, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to why some gigs sell and others don't. They can't explain it either. eg it was packed for Arlo Guthrie, who I would think would be much lesser known, yet had a poor turnout for JS, who packed out the Electric Ballroom in Camden the night before.

As a venue it would be perfect for Love, should they tour again.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  16:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Gong at the Picture House in Edinburgh last night. Still awesome after all these years!
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  16:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

I saw Gong at the Picture House in Edinburgh last night. Still awesome after all these years!

Hadn't been impressed with the recordings I've heard from mainland Europe, but the UK shows are getting rave reviews. Am going to try to make Oxford on Saturday - wish they gave Hillage a longer set though, or better still that he would do his own headline tour. Don't get me wrong - I love Gong, but Hillage remains one of my favourite all-time guitarists.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  01:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..and I've 'got the grump on'.. had been looking forward to seeing them for the first time in 33 years in Sheffield tonight, but in the space of 24 hours the cooker died, I got punctures in tyres of both my Land Rovers, and then I broke my mobile phone. With that much money heading south I just couldn't justify it, and only hope I get another chance. Life ..grr/sob :(
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  22:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talking of Gong in Edinburgh - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYsATOAfKPA
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  00:04:16  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Saw Lloyd Cole live in Bath last night, great performer, great voice, great songwriting and, of course, one of the few men to name Arthur Lee in a song way back in the 80's when he had been all but forgotten.
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  00:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boombox, how did the video of Jefferson Starship at The Globe turn out? I would like to see "White Rabbit"(at least) on You Tube if it looks ok.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  12:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dukie, sorry didn't have the chance to speak much at the Globe. Some of the video is pretty good, but the lights there weren't really good enough when filming from the balcony, so parts are a tad grainer than I'd like. I did try using the "upload to youtube" option within my new Sony Vegas 9 software, but wasn't pleased with it at all - poor quality IMHO, and I got the display settings wrong too. Still, here's a taster of Linda Imperial with QMS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqrdicI8nDw

Will upload more when I get chance - yes, Rabbit was nice, especially Cathy's cavorting about (complete with hat, stolen from one of the regular shipmates!) - she really does her best to own that song now. I uploaded an mp3 audio copy of the show here:

www.sendspace.com/file/r5e200

Pity the SBD recording got corrupted. :-(
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page