Page: of 30

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  15:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid
Did Neil play any really early material? Any Buff/CSNY tunes?

Not seen the setlist, but he was doing 'Burned' earlier in the UK tour.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  17:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

quote:
Did Neil play any really early material? Any Buff/CSNY tunes?

Not seen the setlist, but he was doing 'Burned' earlier in the UK tour.

Hey Boomer.....is Neil going solo unplugged on the piano? That's my favorite
for Neil. "Burned" is nice on piano!

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  13:07:51  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Next gigs, my husband's band, Animals and Men, in Bristol on August 13th

http://www.myspace.com/animalsandmenterraplanes

Then, one to look forward to, Roky Erickson at The Forum, London on August 20th.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  14:14:21  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mentioned this women, Emily Breeze, elsewhere but caught her live a few weeks ago and thought she was brilliant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njkZE6oTWz8&feature=related
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  23:34:59  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well it'll be my husband's band, Animals and Men, at the Fleece in Bristol next Thursday. Got this preview in a magazine this week so they are all worrying now that they will have to be good!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2427/3798581835_d3089ef2a0_b.jpg

Edited by - caryne on 07/08/2009 23:45:54
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  15:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Berliner Residenz Konzerte Orchester in the Great Orangerie at Charlottenburg Palace in Berlin on Friday night. The concert was delivered by candlelight in an intimate setting.....and the supremely gifted musicians and soloists were dressed in eighteenth century finery as they performed works by Bach, Handel and Mozart.....music to touch the soul.

"Music is a friend that will not forsake nor deceive you......for you have drawn from her all the charms and raptures of heaven...whereas friends are lukewarm or crafty" - Sophie Charlotte, Queen (consort) of Prussia and for whom the palace was built in around 1700.

Edited by - John9 on 09/08/2009 18:42:17
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  16:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alvin Youngblood Hart's Muscle Theory, supported by Gerry Jablonski and The Electric Band at The Blue Lamp in Aberdeen. Tremendous double bill, terrific night, both bands red hot!
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  16:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

Alvin Youngblood Hart's Muscle Theory, supported by Gerry Jablonski and The Electric Band at The Blue Lamp in Aberdeen. Tremendous double bill, terrific night, both bands red hot!

I caught AYH yesterday at the Rhythm Festival in Bedford, but came away slightly disappointed with him. The guy has real presence on stage and can really play and I LOVED the dirty, grungy blues stuff (and the Neil Young sand Doug Sahm covers were good too), but he jumps around in style a bit too much - the more ska/reggae type things didn't do much for me. Still, I might check out his new album.

Others on the bill I saw in whole or in part were:
The Silver Brazilians - pretty good garage rock band, who would be good for a beered up night out.
Jet Bronx - good band, but the vocalist (hesitate to say 'singer'!) sucked, and he's a real pretentious git on stage too, so left after three songs
Imperial Leisure - not really my sort of thing, but very well performed by the band and good fun - excellent, energetic frontman too
Acoustic Strawbs - well, hardly acoustic with Chas Cronks' bass pedals, but no problem with that. Was worried they wouldn't be as good as when I saw the electric band earlier this year, but I enjoyed it all the same.
AYH - see above
Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash - musically very competent, but no real passion IMHO. Also, even though the fans might want to hear them, he shouldn't try to sing some of the old songs he didn't sing at the time.
Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian Circus of Dreams - the band who opened the Friday and Sunday last year. This year, they opened on Friday and closed the festival on the main stage on Sunday (and they got promoted to the better hotel in Bedford!). Can't say much more than EFFING BRILLIANT!! My sixth Circus show in the past 12 months and it was a belter, helped by some of the best stage lights I've seen in years. I cannot recommend this band highly enough to anyone - well worth the nearly 400 mile round trip, meaning my arriving home at 2.35am to get up for work this morning.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  18:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I caught AYH yesterday at the Rhythm Festival in Bedford, but came away slightly disappointed with him. The guy has real presence on stage and can really play and I LOVED the dirty, grungy blues stuff (and the Neil Young sand Doug Sahm covers were good too), but he jumps around in style a bit too much - the more ska/reggae type things didn't do much for me. Still, I might check out his new album.

Others on the bill I saw in whole or in part were:
The Silver Brazilians - pretty good garage rock band, who would be good for a beered up night out.
Jet Bronx - good band, but the vocalist (hesitate to say 'singer'!) sucked, and he's a real pretentious git on stage too, so left after three songs
Imperial Leisure - not really my sort of thing, but very well performed by the band and good fun - excellent, energetic frontman too
Acoustic Strawbs - well, hardly acoustic with Chas Cronks' bass pedals, but no problem with that. Was worried they wouldn't be as good as when I saw the electric band earlier this year, but I enjoyed it all the same.
AYH - see above
Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash - musically very competent, but no real passion IMHO. Also, even though the fans might want to hear them, he shouldn't try to sing some of the old songs he didn't sing at the time.
Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian Circus of Dreams - the band who opened the Friday and Sunday last year. This year, they opened on Friday and closed the festival on the main stage on Sunday (and they got promoted to the better hotel in Bedford!). Can't say much more than EFFING BRILLIANT!! My sixth Circus show in the past 12 months and it was a belter, helped by some of the best stage lights I've seen in years. I cannot recommend this band highly enough to anyone - well worth the nearly 400 mile round trip, meaning my arriving home at 2.35am to get up for work this morning.

Hey, boomer...which Circus album would you recommend for starters??

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  21:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
but he jumps around in style a bit too much.

I've heard this criticism before, but it's something I quite like about him, so he's never dull.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  23:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
but he jumps around in style a bit too much.

I've heard this criticism before, but it's something I quite like about him, so he's never dull.

I would agree, but he does the grungy blues SOOOO well - I could quite easily listen to 90 mins of that.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  23:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tough one!

My analysis as follows:
A Good Thief Tips His Hat - first album by a band trying to find their voice - a few classics still played very frequently eg Circus of Dreams, Silent Revolution. I guess the fans love stuff on thsi album as it's not played as much these days, so it's a treat when they bust out stuff like Genius. However, it does have Alice In Space on - the traditional set or show closer.

Flapjacks From The Sky - the breakthrough album - direction now found and boy do they go for it on this double album. High points too many to list, but if pushed: Sunday In The Rain, Baby Jane, Flapjacks From The Sky and Talkin' To The Buddha, which is always IMMENSE live.

The Great Unravel - latest CD and a year on from its release, still a contender for my favourite album of the decade. Again, lots of great tracks - The Great Unravel, Tink (I Know It's You) (with slide mandolin!), Pushin' Up Daisies.

On balance, as a taster, Flapjacks seems to be a popular one, but it's live that this band is best caught. There's a lovely SBD on bt.etree here: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525378

Or check out Radio Free Slambovia via the link on www.slambovia.com (Lots of free mp3s here!!). Quite a lot on youtube too.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  18:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Tough one!

My analysis as follows:
A Good Thief Tips His Hat - first album by a band trying to find their voice - a few classics still played very frequently eg Circus of Dreams, Silent Revolution. I guess the fans love stuff on thsi album as it's not played as much these days, so it's a treat when they bust out stuff like Genius. However, it does have Alice In Space on - the traditional set or show closer.

Flapjacks From The Sky - the breakthrough album - direction now found and boy do they go for it on this double album. High points too many to list, but if pushed: Sunday In The Rain, Baby Jane, Flapjacks From The Sky and Talkin' To The Buddha, which is always IMMENSE live.

The Great Unravel - latest CD and a year on from its release, still a contender for my favourite album of the decade. Again, lots of great tracks - The Great Unravel, Tink (I Know It's You) (with slide mandolin!), Pushin' Up Daisies.

On balance, as a taster, Flapjacks seems to be a popular one, but it's live that this band is best caught. There's a lovely SBD on bt.etree here: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525378

Or check out Radio Free Slambovia via the link on www.slambovia.com (Lots of free mp3s here!!). Quite a lot on youtube too.

Thanks for the links boomer! I'll go the today!

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  00:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just back from the Zombies. They were really really worth hearing and seeing. I can see why they were a good counterpoint for Love. Colin B's voice, like Arthurs's has aged well. I was quite envious of those of you who saw the double bill.

Tomorrow it's Otway and Barratt - Really Free.

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  02:36:05  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lizzy...I'm glad you got to see The Zombies. I was fortunate to be at a LOVE/Zombies show, and thought Colin sang great. Was he snapping his fingers? Funny when Love followed them, and Arthur was snapping his fingers during LOVE's set!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page