Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  22:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've just been to see Jethro Tull here in Prague. Great gig and Ian Anderson is very entertaining! My first live experience of Jethro Tull and I wasn't disappointed. Played a few classics and you can see the whole band love being on stage playing music (kind of obvious I know but great to see).

The highlight for me was probably Mother Goose but they did an awesome version of Bouree as well. My only only gripe would be the length of the gig. Advertised as 8.00-10.30 but it was more like 8.20 - 9.50 which was a shame, especially as tickets weren't cheap. But Prague and the Czechs seem to love the band. Two sold out gigs on consecutive nights at a venue which holds 3,000 is pretty impressive and shows that Jethro Tull are still at the top of their game

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  12:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kula John

I've just been to see Jethro Tull here in Prague. Great gig and Ian Anderson is very entertaining! My first live experience of Jethro Tull and I wasn't disappointed. Played a few classics and you can see the whole band love being on stage playing music (kind of obvious I know but great to see).

The highlight for me was probably Mother Goose but they did an awesome version of Bouree as well. My only only gripe would be the length of the gig. Advertised as 8.00-10.30 but it was more like 8.20 - 9.50 which was a shame, especially as tickets weren't cheap. But Prague and the Czechs seem to love the band. Two sold out gigs on consecutive nights at a venue which holds 3,000 is pretty impressive and shows that Jethro Tull are still at the top of their game

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Good to hear they've still got it. Have been a bit sceptical given I don't recognise anyone in the band now except or IA and MB - unless the line-up has changed YET again! Will be seeing them in early August at the 'Woodstock' bash in Shrewsbury: amongst others, Uriah Heep, Jefferson Starship, Tull, Asia (plus all side projects), BJH with orchestra, It's A Beautiful Day, Strawbs, Mostly Autumn, Curved Air, Melanie and, unconfirmed as yet, I have heard possibly BS&T and the Edgar Broughton Band. Anyone else thinking of going?
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  16:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Leonard Cohen in one of the finest venues in Philly-The Academy of Music...where the Philadelphia Orchestra performed for years. The best acoustics as this venue was built many moons ago. Leonard professed "I had a dream when I was a boy a ling time ago, when I was 60, to do this. I am now 75". This was such an amazing show that I categorize it as an "event". (The last "event" I attended was Roxy Music in 2001, and they were simply spot on.)

Leonard performed for 3 hours, 4 encores, and standing ovations for virtually every song he did. His group and back up singers (he called them angels) were marvelous. One of the most professional gigs I've ever seen. This is the first time I ever saw him, and after listening to him (much like LOVE) for over 40 years, it was well worth the wait.

This was a continuation of his world wide tour, and I think this was the last leg ending in the U.S. He has not toured in over 15 years.

He is a true artist, poet, and singer-songwriter. An amazing talent that I'll never forget. I'm SO happy I went...his songs even mean more to me now than ever.

If you're an LC fan and have the chance to see him, spend the money and do it. I'm sure he'll never tour again

Allan
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  16:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

quote:

Good to hear they've still got it. Have been a bit sceptical given I don't recognise anyone in the band now except or IA and MB - unless the line-up has changed YET again! Will be seeing them in early August at the 'Woodstock' bash in Shrewsbury: amongst others, Uriah Heep, Jefferson Starship, Tull, Asia (plus all side projects), BJH with orchestra, It's A Beautiful Day, Strawbs, Mostly Autumn, Curved Air, Melanie and, unconfirmed as yet, I have heard possibly BS&T and the Edgar Broughton Band. Anyone else thinking of going?

SOunds like an amazing line up.......I saw BS&T with David Clayton Thomas a couple yeas ago and they were great. The band are a bunch of jazz rock guys and the bass player did a solo like I've never heard. You're a lucky guy to have such great festivals in the UK, boomer.

Hey, Alan....LC is so good..I've been finding his vinyl lately.....have always loved his music, but his mature years seem to have gotten better & better!! I hope this tour and exposure finally gets him past his financial difficulties (why do so many managers steal their stars money?? I guess because they can!! And they get away with it! )

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  01:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian Circus of Dreams in the 100 club, London, last night. One of my favourite gigs of recent years - but then, so were the two sets they did at the Rhythm festival last year. Anyone into rock/folk with a healthy dose of dylan, floyd and the who should check them out. Seeing them again tomorrow (oops, later today) at the Linton Festival and again hopefully on Monday.

Check out their website at slambovia.com and give them a listen.

EDIT: Linton was a great show too - band won over many converts. (The Vulnerable Things, Matthew Lee and Otis Grand played earlier in the day - all very good too (OG is a real showman), but the Circus were the main act for me. Didn't bother sticking around for "The Magic of Motown" as I needed brownie points in order to swing going to Wolves for the final Circus show on the Monday. Very intimate show there, which included a few songs not played elsewhere on the tour - only 34 in the audience - shame on you Black Country folk for missing one of the gigs of the year!!

Edited by - boombox on 24/06/2009 23:43:53
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  00:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A truly great band...especially those early albums and singles. In 1969 (the year after Soviet forces had rolled into Prague) they were were the first group to depose The Beatles from their number one position in the Melody Maker poll for best group. How wonderful it is to see Tull reclaim the city at a time when all that repression is but a distant memory.

Edited by - John9 on 25/06/2009 00:47:27
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  07:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil Young last night in Aberdeen. Superb night.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  14:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
john9 .When you mention 69 and Prague for some reason I always think of the Plastic People of the Universe...that band was in a way thumbing their noses at "repression"..that's what rock did and does...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  22:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes indeed, Rocker - and a few months ago I managed to catch a stage performance of Tom Stoppard's Rock and Roll which of course centred on that very group. There is a recent John York / Kim Fowley song entitled Rock and Roll is Another Word for Freedom - just before the song the two of them discuss how the whole rock movement was, at least in part, responsible for the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  22:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Yes indeed, Rocker - and a few months ago I managed to catch a stage performance of Tom Stoppard's Rock and Roll which of course centred on that very group. There is a recent John York / Kim Fowley song entitled Rock and Roll is Another Word for Freedom - just before the song the two of them discuss how the whole rock movement was, at least in part, responsible for the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Rock spread the word, john!!

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  17:28:38  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw Neil Young and Fleet Foxes at Hyde Park on saturday and they were both excellent, Roger McGuinn tonight in Bristol..

Paris Journals at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  13:42:45  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw Tindersticks/Big Star/David Kitt in Hyde Park last Wednesday. Tindersticks and David Kitt were great. Sadly Big Star were such a let down. I'd been a fan for years but this awful, average, MOR, band just did nothing for me and, to be honest, I didn't even know it was Big Star till the end. Very sad.

Tomorrow I'm off to The Oval to see Neil Hannon's (Divine Comedy) new project, The Duckworth Lewis Method (after winning the tickets) and at the weekend off to Nottingham for a 'garage punk' festival, which should be great fun.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  13:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

I saw Tindersticks/Big Star/David Kitt in Hyde Park last Wednesday. Tindersticks and David Kitt were great. Sadly Big Star were such a let down. I'd been a fan for years but this awful, average, MOR, band just did nothing for me and, to be honest, I didn't even know it was Big Star till the end. Very sad.

Tomorrow I'm off to The Oval to see Neil Hannon's (Divine Comedy) new project, The Duckworth Lewis Method (after winning the tickets) and at the weekend off to Nottingham for a 'garage punk' festival, which should be great fun.

They disappointed me too at last year's Rhythm Festival. Just seemed to be going through the motions.

That garage punk festival does sound like fun though - hope someone does a timely tribute to Sky Saxon there.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  21:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil Young at Hyde Park, i like the Fleet Foxes album, and had hopes for sea-sick Steve,But only NY stays in the mind. What a show! Neil just gets better dosent he? Personally, this was the most i had enjoyed him since i saw him with Crazy Horse in London in the 1989,s.
KEEP ON ROCKING IN THE FREE WORLD
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  15:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

Neil Young at Hyde Park, i like the Fleet Foxes album, and had hopes for sea-sick Steve,But only NY stays in the mind. What a show! Neil just gets better dosent he? Personally, this was the most i had enjoyed him since i saw him with Crazy Horse in London in the 1989,s.
KEEP ON ROCKING IN THE FREE WORLD

Sweet! Wish Neil would do a show near here....I'd pay big $ just to see him! Did Neil play any really early material? Any Buff/CSNY tunes?

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/07/2009 15:16:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page